Transfer files from old vista pc to new pc with windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I think all problems started when I tried to use "Windows easy transfer". I tried to transfer files and setting for my own user from vista pc to windows 7 pc via a home office network. Only about 30% of the files are visible in the windows 7 pc. Using this tool seems to be non successful for me.

Then I tried to copy files with ordinary copy/paste from the vista PC to a portable usb disc. I discovered that the files I missed with "Windows easy transfer" were "hidden" on the portable disc, although they are not hiddden on the vista pc.

So I did an unhide for all files and catalogues on the portable usb disc and connected it to the windows 7 pc. Then I did an ordinary copy/paste to transfer the files to windows 7. I still cannot see more than 30% og the files in windows 7. It looks like the files are in windows 7 for my user, because I get a warning about overwrite every time I try a paste.

What could be wrong here, how can I proceed? I am very new to windows 7, I got the new computer 2 days ago.

Regards from Tore

Tore
    Sunday, August 28, 2011 10:28 PM

Answers

• "...I discovered that the files I missed with "Windows easy transfer" were "hidden" on the portable disc, although they are not hidden on the vista pc."

Usually programs hide files/folders until they finish coping completely and unhide it once done. This could mean that files/folders were not completely copied. I would suggest you to completely delete the files and catalogs on the portable USB drive and restart the transfer from the Vista PC onto this disk. Make sure this process is not interrupted in between and completes successfully. Now, transfer them to the new Windows 7 PC.

Also, type Windows Easy Transfer Reports in the Start search box on the Windows Vista PC & Windows 7 PC and tell us what you see there. Hope it helps!

Kunal D Mehta - a Windows Server Enthusiast | My first TechNet Wiki Article
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, September 5, 2011 1:08 AM
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 4:47 PM