none
Preparing the Tape for Backup RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I run a tape management report to see which tapes are due online in the next 1 week. It showed me a tape "AWI703L5" due in the next week for the full backup on certain date and time (which is 1 day from today). I inserted that tape into the library and when I inventory the library it showed me the tape as Marked Offline. I cannot erase the tape and cannot mark it free. My question is how DPM will reuse this tape for the full backup. Do I have to manually delete the tape using the Power Shell script or actually it will rewrite the tape. I am very confused please help me so infutre I would know how to manage my tapes.

Thank you in advance.

Usman

Friday, June 15, 2012 11:26 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Sorry for the delay, I was OOF for vacation.

Yes, KB 2718797 addressses the tape expiry issue describes as.

<snip>
    Tapes are not reusable until the day after the day of expiry. This is true because DPM waits until midnight to run the reclamation job that marks tapes as reusable. If a user wants a tape to be reusable on the same day on which it expires, the user should follow these steps:

• Create the following registry key:
        <samp>HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Configuration\MediaManager</samp>
      • Create the ExpireDatasetOnDayStart 32-bit DWORD value, and then set its value data to 1.
        >snip<

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Topone Thursday, November 1, 2012 11:07 AM
    Saturday, September 1, 2012 10:17 PM
  • Hi,

Correct, and we have a fix coming in July that will expire the tape in time for the next scheduled backup.  In the meantime, simpy add a tape to rotation to give the recovery points time to expire so the tape can be reused.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, June 25, 2012 6:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I think you meant to say that after the inventory, the tape showed as "Offsite ready" not Marked Offline.  Once the recovery points expire, the tape will show "expired" and can then be reused for future backups.

Sunday, June 24, 2012 7:19 PM
  • Dear Mike,

Tks for your reply. You are correct I mean "Offsite ready". Problem is, the due date and time is same when my week backup starts. I can delete and reuse the tape until it expries. So shall i manually erase that particular tape using the powershell script (erase tape) before one day of the backup? This way the tape will be available on the first day of the week.

Monday, June 25, 2012 6:21 AM
  • Hi,

Correct, and we have a fix coming in July that will expire the tape in time for the next scheduled backup.  In the meantime, simpy add a tape to rotation to give the recovery points time to expire so the tape can be reused.

Monday, June 25, 2012 6:31 PM
  • Dear Mike,

Any updates when and how to download this fix?

Tks.

Sunday, July 1, 2012 7:07 AM
  • Hi,

The fix to expire tapes at midnight so tapes can be reused for backups scheduled later in the day will be in this July rollup fix for system center.

The fix to have the tape management report show overdue tapes may not be included until the next system center rollup follwing the July update.

I have other knowledge like release dates.

Sunday, July 1, 2012 3:16 PM
  • Dear Mike,

Just wanted to know if the Fix has been released or not yet.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 6:27 AM
  • Hi,

Unless it slips, the release date for the next DPM QFE's are targeted for July 24.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 2:12 PM
  • I think it is released:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2718797

Monday, July 30, 2012 1:17 AM
  • Dear Mike,

Just wanted to know if this the Hotfix:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2718797

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 12:42 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the delay, I was OOF for vacation.

Yes, KB 2718797 addressses the tape expiry issue describes as.

<snip>
    Tapes are not reusable until the day after the day of expiry. This is true because DPM waits until midnight to run the reclamation job that marks tapes as reusable. If a user wants a tape to be reusable on the same day on which it expires, the user should follow these steps:

• Create the following registry key:
        <samp>HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Configuration\MediaManager</samp>
      • Create the ExpireDatasetOnDayStart 32-bit DWORD value, and then set its value data to 1.
        >snip<

• Marked as answer by Topone Thursday, November 1, 2012 11:07 AM
    Saturday, September 1, 2012 10:17 PM