Project Server 2010 - project site creation fails when publishing for first time from Project Pro 2010 RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi all...hoping you might be able to help point me in the right direction as to which settings to check.  We have a Project Server 2010 implementation that for some time was indeed correctly creating project sites when the project was first published from within Project Pro 2010.  Something appears to have been changed or corrupted recently because now, once a project is published, the associated project site is not created; there is an entry in the queue that the project site create task is "failed but not blocking correlation." 

    If the user tries to access the project site from within the Project Center, he/she receives an error message that no project site exists.  If you try to go to the URL that was specified during the initial publish, you're presented with a screen that asks you to pick the template to be used.  Additionally, once you work through the few selections, the site does indeed publish, but it does not get associated with the project.

    That's the part that's confusing me -- we have a customized template (based on the standard Microsoft Project template) associated with the EPT.  Do we have competing settings someplace so that it looks like the project site has not been created?

    Please let me know what other info I can provide to help diagnose the problem further.


    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 5:40 PM

All replies

  • Hi there,

    If you set the EPT to use the default Project Site template, does this work correctly? Do you keep a change log for your custom project site template?



    Paul Mather | Twitter | | CPS

    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 7:13 PM
  • Paul, thanks for the guidance.  I went in and changed the default Project site template back to the standard Microsoft template, and the process does indeed work correctly now.  Unfortunately, we don't keep a change log of changes to the custom template -- it's only me and one other person who have access to it, and she said she hadn't made any changes to it.  I've followed the rule of not removing any of the lists from the standard template, and have only changed the values available within them, so I don't think that broke it....but something obviously has.  The changes we made to the standard Project Site template were to add a foldering structure within the document library and to add four process checklists to the left sidebar.  I'm assuming that somehow, though, we've managed to make another change somewhere that's broken the template. 

    Am I better off just trying to recreate that template, add it as the template to be used, and see if it works?

    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 3:28 PM
  • Hi there,

    The changes you have mentioned shouldn't have caused the issue you are seeing. I would revert back to the previous custom template that worked, come that stills works. Then make one type of change at a time to narrow down what is causing the issue with the template.

    Good luck, I hope you get to the bottom of it soon. If you need any further guidance please do not hesitate to ask.


    Paul Mather | Twitter | | CPS

    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:44 PM
  • If you create the project site template from an exsiting project workspace, then the template has hooks back to the orignial project schedule.  Several articles on the web on creating a project workspace template to prevent this.


    Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA, MCC 2011, MCC2012
    Blog contains my field notes and SQL queries

    Thursday, October 11, 2012 3:47 AM
  • As micheal said, always create a new site that is not linked to a project when updating the template. See this guide from Brian Smith:

    When select the template, you would select your existing custom Project Site template if you are making further changes to it rather than the Microsfot Project Site template.

    Hope that helps


    Paul Mather | Twitter | | CPS

    Thursday, October 11, 2012 5:55 AM