Unable to connect Windows 10 PC to Windows Server Essentials R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I am unable to connect my desktop PC which is running Windows 10 to Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2.

I downloaded and ran the latest patch for the Connecter Wizard -- several times actually. It gives me the sign on page, and after signing on "thinks" for a long time, then gives me a message that says "Cannot connect this computer to the network", "The server is not available. Try connecting this computer again.".  I tried signing on both with my administrator ID and my desktop ID, with the same results.

Windows Server is running on an HP ProLiant MicroServer.  I have other systems running Windows 7 and Windows 8 connected in OK.

My desktop, back before I upgraded it from Windows 7 to Windows 10, had successfully been connected to another server running Windows Server 2003, using the same router, etc.  My desktop is able to access all other network resources like stand-alone hard drives, printers, other PC's, etc. with no problems.

I have tried rebooting everything as well, with the same results.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 1:22 AM

Answers

• I imagine you cleaned all temp file locations, just in case. 

I ran the latest connector from Microsoft today on three Windows 10 Pro systems.  Honestly, everything worked great.  I didn't have to modify anything.  My computers are on the same network/router combination.  Perhaps uninstalling the previous connectors, cleaning out all of the temp file locations, and reboot.  Go to Microsoft site and download the latest connect for Windows 10.  Install it straight up.  It should as you to select the server you want.  Once selected, follow the prompts for username/password.  I hope this helps you out.  Let me know.  It may be a good idea to close all other active applications, just in case, before installing the new connector.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 2:35 AM

All replies

• I can help. You have to change your client's DNS to the server's IP.
    • Proposed as answer by Besieger Tuesday, January 5, 2016 11:50 AM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2015 2:28 AM
  • I imagine you cleaned all temp file locations, just in case. 

I ran the latest connector from Microsoft today on three Windows 10 Pro systems.  Honestly, everything worked great.  I didn't have to modify anything.  My computers are on the same network/router combination.  Perhaps uninstalling the previous connectors, cleaning out all of the temp file locations, and reboot.  Go to Microsoft site and download the latest connect for Windows 10.  Install it straight up.  It should as you to select the server you want.  Once selected, follow the prompts for username/password.  I hope this helps you out.  Let me know.  It may be a good idea to close all other active applications, just in case, before installing the new connector.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 2:35 AM
  • Did you remove any of the other connector software you had installed?

Robert Pearman SBS MVP
    itauthority.co.uk | Title(Required)
    Facebook | Twitter | Linked in | Google+

Thursday, August 13, 2015 9:35 AM
  • When I run Connector from windows download page nothing happens about 70% of the time. I have to manually uninstall and reinstall over and over again until it works. PITA on many computers.
    Friday, September 11, 2015 3:56 PM
  • I am experiencing the same issue: if the computer which is upgraded to Windows 10 had a Server Essentials connector installed prior to upgrade the reinstalled connerctor is unable to connect to the server. If the upgraded computer haven't had connector installed before the upgrade I can install the connector and connect to server with no problem. In the last few weeks I upgraded three hosts from 8.1 to Windows 10: 1. Dell Venue tablet. It had the connector installed prior to upgrade. The connector wasn't unitstallled. After the upgrade connector was unable to contact the server. I uninstalled the connector, installed the Windows 10 one, but got "cannot connect this commuter to the network. The server is not available" error. 2. Microsoft Surface Pro. The connector was uninstalled before Windows 10 upgrade. After the upgrade the connector was installed, but couldn't connect to the server with the same error as above. 3. Dell XPS 13. It did not have the connector installed. After Windows 10 upgrade I was able to install the connector and connect to the server with no issues. So it seems to be an issue if the upgraded host had the Essentails connector installed even if the connector was uninstalled before the upgrade.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2015 11:33 PM
  • I am having the exact same issue - only mine is with a brand new Dell Laptop with a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro.  In other words, the computer was not upgraded but rather freshly installed.  2 other computers (Windows 7 and Windows 8 respectively) can access the connector (http://homeservername/connect) with no problem.  Downloaded the appropriate connector software (described here:  http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2015/07/23/client-connector-availability-with-windows-home-server-small-business-server-and-windows-server-essentials-for-supported-client-os.aspx) but still doesn't work.  All updates to both Windows Server and Windows 10 have been applied - any luck with your situation?

Matt M

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 1:06 PM
  • Same here, installed fine on a Toshiba Laptop upgraded from Win 8.1 64 home.

Fails on my desktop upgraded from 8.1 Pro 64.

Both had connector software installed in 8.1. I checked and there is nothing to un-install through the control panel.

It just says the server is unavailable, try again. Both machines are current with updates, both were re-booted as was the server. I checked and all are time sync.

This is the file I used. tried d/ling it again to be sure. Windows10.0-KB2790621-x64.msu

Any ideas?

RS

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 6:23 PM
  • I tried setting my Windows 10 Client's DNS to match the DNS of the 2012 Essentials Server - still no luck.  Changed it back and applied a Windows 10 patch that came out last night.  Tried running the new Connector product again - no results when doing the auto-search.  When I search by IP address I get "This version of the client connector is not compatible with the version of Windows Server you are trying to Connect to".  I'm using the x64 version that I'm supposed to - I just don't understand why so many other people have gotten this to work successfully while I'm still struggling.  New machine, clean 10 Pro install.  Other machines on my network are working just fine.  Frustrated.

Matt M

Thursday, September 17, 2015 12:24 PM
  • I may have figured this out - I think I'm on the original version of Windows Server 2012 Essentials - NOT the R2 version.  I'm guessing this is the problem?  I entered this at the command line:

systeminfo | findstr /B /C:"OS Name" /C:"OS Version"

And got this:  Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Essentials OS version 6.2.9200 N/A Build 9200

I'm guessing if it was R2, it would say R2?

Matt M

Thursday, September 17, 2015 12:53 PM
  • Well now I have 2 machines that won't connect, definitely running r2 here. A Toshiba laptop that just upgraded to the new Win 10 Tech Preview, I trued to connect it and same message, server not available. Going to try my other desktop this weekend.

Starting to think I may have to do a clean install of 10.

Anyone know how to manually remove all the connector software? It doesn't show up in Win features or Software in the CP, but when I try to re-install it, it says its already installed. This is becoming a PIA.

RS

Thursday, September 17, 2015 3:50 PM
  • Ok found the old connector, called app connector, un-installed it and cleared all temp files I could find, re-booted and reinstalled the connector.

No change, it finds the server, you put in your name and password and it churns for awhile then "server not available, try again"

Any Microsofties lurking with any kind of suggestions, need to back up these computers.

RS

RS

Monday, September 21, 2015 6:03 PM
  • You have to uninstall any former connectors and you do this from installed updates, not Programs.

Go to Windows update, look into installed updates and you will find a Windows Server Essentials connector update to uninstall. Do a reboot, and try the connector (Win10 version) again.

Has worked for me 3 times so far....

Sorry should have said this what to do before you upgrade from 7/8 to 10. Uninstall and reset your computer to WORKGROUP, not a DOMAIN

If your computer was previously connected to the server you WILL get a warning about this as it tries to reconnect but should do it fine if computer name remains the same.

1 Caveat: if you are running Win10 PRO or Enterprise, no problem, enter your username and password as used on the server. If you are running Win10 Home you can only connect by using the Servers Admin username and password.

• Edited by TinkererNZ Monday, September 21, 2015 10:30 PM
    Monday, September 21, 2015 9:51 PM
  • I had one program in the apps section and one in the updates, i'll try it again... removed both and rebooted.

Would be nice if the new connector install removed the old ones, also a warning to remove them before updating?

So far out of 4 clients I'm only able to connect 1 laptop, and it had connector software installed.

RS

Monday, September 21, 2015 10:03 PM
  • My Microsoft rep gave me a free incident case ($499 value) and I spent 2 hours on the phone with them dealing with this.  My first mistake was trying to install the Windows 10 connector on my laptop - which gives mixed results but ultimately was the wrong connector because it's designed for R2 - and not the non-R2 version that I was running.  Some people may try to tell you that it doesn't matter but I assure you it does.

To be fair, my research showed that some (most?) users are successfully able to connect to 2012 Essentials simply by the http://server/connect string.  But for me (and lots of others), it doesn't work.  It could have been the result of my AVG antivirus (one of the first things I forgot to try) - ultimately here was my resolution:

• Deleted all server certificate from client machine (these were installed via the wrong connector software)
    • Corrected DNS pointing on client machine and pointed it to Server's IP address
    • Uninstalled AVG Antivirus (AVG)
    • Rebooted the client machine
    • Ran the "Connect" software wizard and joined the client machine in domain

Everything worked great after that.

Matt M

Monday, September 21, 2015 10:51 PM
  • Well no joy, uninstalled all former connectors by looking in apps and updates, un-installed the current connector software. Cleared all temp files, downloaded the connector software for server r2 win 10 64bit. Let that install then ran the wizard. Found my server and connected to it, asked for my user and password. Entered those, churns with HD activity on the client side, then "server not found try again"

So my next try will be to do a clean install of 10 Pro. Do the connector before re-installing everything. I have doubts that that will do it.

Win 10 while being a decent OS still still has too many issues, my partners desktop absolutely won't run Office 365, 2 days of attempts with MS tech support observing her desktop and tying up our phone yielded nothing, they suggested the same thing, reset or a clean install.

Thx for all the suggestions...

RS

• Edited by rs922 Wednesday, September 23, 2015 5:11 PM
    Wednesday, September 23, 2015 5:10 PM
  • This did the trick! Thank you! :-)
    Tuesday, January 5, 2016 11:51 AM
  • What worked?
    Monday, January 11, 2016 5:12 PM
  • "I ran the latest connector from Microsoft today on three Windows 10 Pro systems. Honestly, everything worked great. I didn't have to modify anything. My computers are on the same network/router combination. "

Nels6Mil - can you provide a link?

R, J

Saturday, February 20, 2016 5:07 PM
  • This worked for me! Thanks!
    Tuesday, April 5, 2016 7:58 PM
  • I don't see any windows connector shown in Update History.  Do you know the KB article?
    Tuesday, August 9, 2016 10:23 PM
  • So what's the answer here. I have a brand new Windows 10 system that will not join the WSE 2012 R2 domain using any of the aforementioned connector programs.

This is absolute madness. In my example, the connector looks like it installs but doesn't appear to be anywhere to run

Anyone? Please.

• Edited by Codewize Sunday, November 20, 2016 12:38 AM
    Saturday, November 19, 2016 11:48 PM
  • It may need to be the Enterprise Edition to join it to the network.  I eventually was able to get this piece working but I worked at it off and on for what feels like a year.   I have a Windows 10 Enterprise machine running on Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials.   Seems to be an endless problem with configuration. 

The Active Directory Server (the Essentials server) can be pinged.  The registry entries show the installer (the account I am logged in under) as having full control of the registry.

Removing from the control panel (the Client Connector for a reinstall) "Could not delete key \SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Server.

I suspect the newer router may be to blame.  It did change the default IP.  If the machines are connecting by IP instead of DNS it could be the problem.

R, J

• Edited by Crakdkorn Sunday, February 5, 2017 5:49 PM
    Sunday, November 20, 2016 1:59 PM
  • It may need to be the Enterprise Edition to join it to the network.  I eventually was able to get this piece working but I worked at it off and on for what feels like a year.

R, J

Nonsense. Enterprise is the industry term for you don't really need this but if we put a fancy name on it, it'll sound important and you'll be willing to spend 4x the money to get "the best". You should read up on this info.

The few things the Enterprise version provides are things like clustering, more RAM, higher core count support and some encryption tools. 

WSE 2012 and Pro are fine match for small business.

The answer was there is an update for WSE 2012 that apparently includes the ComputerCOnnector to support Win 10 which is why none of the link provided work any more.
    Sunday, November 20, 2016 3:27 PM