none
BitLocker not working after Windows 10 Embedded 2019 LTSC OS is installed RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a system that I am trying to get BitLocker running on.  This system has a TPM chip so I don't have to use the USB to save the encryption key.  I have created a Windows 10 Embedded 2019 LTSC boot drive using Windows System Image Manager.  After I install this version of Windows on my system I can no longer enable BitLocker.  I get an error message that says: "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it."

I checked the BitLocker service and found that it was set to Manually start.  So I changed it to Automatically start, but that did not fix the issue.

I also change the Group Policy that allows the system to use a USB to store the BitLocker key, and that did not work either, I got the same error message.  This did work with Windows 10 Embedded 2016 LTSB, that is how we are doing BitLocker on our older systems.

If I install a full version of Windows 10 Embedded 2019 LTSC on the system BitLocker works correctly.

What i need to know is when I am creating the image using Windows System Image Manager, is there some component that needs to be added to the Answer File to get BitLocker to work correctly?

Thanks.

Monday, August 31, 2020 8:02 PM

All replies

• It shouldn't make a different full install versus SIM. SIM is only configuring some items, it is not removing features unless you disabled a feature in the foundation package. There is nothing in the foundation package for bitlocker.

1. Checking Device Manager, make sure that the device driver for the TPM is installed and running correctly.
    2. Did you reboot the system after starting the service?
    3. Is this Windows 10 64-bit or 32-bit?

FYI - This forum is for POSREady 2009. Microsoft is moving the forums to the new Microsoft Q&A site. There is no forum for Windows 10. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/index.html use the Windows-10-setup tag.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Thursday, September 3, 2020 7:10 PM