How to check if our Exchange 2010 Certificate is Auto-Renewing or Auto-Enrolling? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a certificate in Exchange 2010 that is about to expire.  It is NOT Self-Signed and Servce is NONE (Not for Webserver, IIS, SMTP, etc.).  When I look at the properties of the certificate, the template is set to "MACHINE".

I looked at our GPO/RSOP'd the server and auto enrollment is ON.  We don't remember either renewing this particular certificate last year.  Is it possible that this particular certificate I am referring to is self-renewing? How do I verify that? The reason I say that is because the Issuer of the certificate is our in-house CA server.  The purpose is set to None and the template is "Machine:"  It is not for Webserver or anything like that.  We also don't remember renewing it last year but it looks like it expires every year.  Please help me verify if my certificate is self renewing.  This specific certificate I am referring to was not from a vendor but from our own certificate server.  Thanks.

• Edited by DoBongSoon Wednesday, June 26, 2013 5:51 PM 1
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 5:50 PM

Answers

• If you can't remember that you renewed it, and you have autoenroll enabled in GPO, then it is 99% autorenewed. You can't see that in the certificate, however.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Damir

• Marked as answer by DoBongSoon Thursday, June 27, 2013 6:15 PM
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 6:10 PM

All replies

• YOu can try to check in the Issued certificates store on your CA. 

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Damir

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:51 PM
  • Hi Damird,

I found the name of my Exchange Server under my Certificate Authority Server --> Issued Certificates.  Now, where does it tell me that it will auto-renew?  I see that there were issued certificates every year.  Is that what it is? I was hoping to see a check box confirming that the certificate for this machine will auto renew.  Pls. help. Thanks!

Thursday, June 27, 2013 4:15 PM
  • If you can't remember that you renewed it, and you have autoenroll enabled in GPO, then it is 99% autorenewed. You can't see that in the certificate, however.

• Marked as answer by DoBongSoon Thursday, June 27, 2013 6:15 PM
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 6:10 PM