Is there any event or property I can hook up to in order to signal a user that the list item is being modified? RRS feed

• General discussion

• In sharepoint 2010.

All these theories about someone going to a long lunch and forgetting to check-in the list item are good but people should know when they are editing something the other user edits too. Please help.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 11:23 PM

All replies

• I understand your concerns with the check out/in procedure, however it does indicate whether someone else is "editing" a file (though not an item)

It also has the benefit of updating when the user is done (assuming they check in). If you were to try something like writing a handler that runs when an item is opened for editing you would need to figure out how to determine when the user is done editing. Saving the file doesn't mean they're done as it will remain open in their client and they can continue their edits. Even if they saved and closed the client (and how would SharePoint detect this) you can't be sure they're done -- maybe they Windows updates asked them to restart or the video game they were alt-tabbing to crashed and won't run until they restart. They full intent on returning to the file when they're back.

SharePoint 2010 and Office 2010 solve this with collaborative editing. When you open a document (that is not checked out) you can see if there are other users editing the file and see their changes in a sort of real-time way. This doesn't help you if you're using SharePoint 2007 but I mention it to show you one of the ways SharePoint has improved to provide this type of information.

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 2:41 AM