none
[Feedback] Windows 8.1 Taskbar elements show dislocation and scaling exceptions with HiDPI RRS feed

• General discussion

• I found 2 bugs in Taskbar with HiDPI, the bugs in Explorer .exe and effect all x86/x64/arm Windows NT 6.3(all Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows RT 8.1)

This the fine version (with Explorer 6.3.9600.17415), Display hidden icon button and time area mouse hover tip in Taskbar is displayed current

With some Updates via Windows Update, Display hidden icon button is dislocated when you using DPI scaling size large than 100% and time area mouse hover tip won't scaling when using a DPI scaling size large than 100%(means it won't scaling)

Display hidden icon button dislocated problem  is particularly noticeable when the DPI scaling size is greater than 150%

finally I found the 2 bugs is all in Explorer.exe

Reproduce the problem:

1: Clean installation of the U.S. English version of Windows 8.1 with update (x64) v6.3.9600.17415 (December 2014 updated image), this time Explorer.exe version should be 6.3.9600 17415, disconnect any network connection to avoid automatic update interference

2: After the DPI scaling is adjusted to 125% or 150% or 200% or 250% or 300% or 400% or 500%, and re-login to take effect, observe the above-mentioned Display hidden icon button and time area mouse hover tip in Taskbar

3: Install KB3184143 for Windows 8.1 and reboot to take effect (this update appears to include the latest Explorer.exe, if you know that other updates include the latest version of the Explorer, please install that update)

4: After the DPI scaling is adjusted to 125% or 150% or 200% or 250% or 300% or 400% or 500%, and re-login to take effect, observe the above mentioned Display hidden icon button and time area mouse hover tip in Taskbar, you can find the problem mentioned in this article

5: Open "C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-explorer_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.17415_none_42bfa1f94d79e1bb" folder and then copy the Explorer.exe from this folder to the desktop (get the 6.3.9600 17415 version of Explorer.exe)

6: Create a new folder on the desktop, rename to "en-US", open the "C:\Windows\en-US" folder, and copy "Explorer.exe.mui" to the "en-us" folder on the desktop

7: Use custom scaling to adjust the DPI scaling to 200% and log in again to take effect, open Task Manager, end all current Explorer.exe (not restart), run new tasks, select the Explorer.exe you just copied to the desktop, and run

8: Observe the above mentioned Display hidden icon button and time area mouse hover tip in Taskbar, you can find the problem disappears

9: Use other dpi scaling dimensions, repeat steps 7 and 8, which can prove that the above two problems exist in Explorer.exe 

Post in Microsoft Community: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-start/windows-81-taskbar-elements-show-dislocation-and/806a0182-26ab-41f9-b2b7-0b0d55635b2c

Friday, June 2, 2017 10:24 AM

All replies

• Is anyone noticed this
    Sunday, June 4, 2017 9:43 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for you feedback and your effort on the issue.

When we use a high-DPI device, we might experience the following issues.

•Elements such as applications, the taskbar, icons, toolbars, text, and dialog boxes appear to be fuzzy.

•Elements are too large or too small compared to the rest of the desktop.

•Blurry text appears in applications or in the Windows interface.

Display scaling is a deceptively complex problem. There is no magic bullet or single fix to resolve all DPI Scaling problems. DPI Scaling benefits from continuous improvements in the core operating system, in application development models, and in applications from both Microsoft and third parties. The DPI feature on Windows 10 has been improved a lot. You may try to check the symptom on a Windows 10 machine.

Anyway, I will feedback the issue on my side.

Bests,

Joy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 5, 2017 10:41 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your help :-)

These issues come with updates released in 2015 and later which included Explorer.exe.

Repeat it the second time, I only found that version 6.3.9600.17415 Explorer.exe didn't have these problems with DPI scaling lager than 100%, I hope this will help solve the issues.

wish it would be solved in future update.

• Edited by Erica Asa Monday, June 5, 2017 11:37 AM
    Monday, June 5, 2017 11:36 AM