none
Transfer Project From One Project Server 2010 to another RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I have a big project on a project server 2010. Our team access this project using the web access(through IE). I also have project professional installed on my local machine.

We also have another new project 2010 environment. I am looking forward to transfer the above current project to our new project server 2010 environment. Both environments are completely independent of each other.

Is there a way I can do it directly, transfer the project from one project sever 2010 to other project server 2010. Searching on the net I saw some steps in which I would to save the project as .MPP file using Project professional and then transfer it to the new project server 2010 environment. Can anyone please suggest the best method to accomplish this task without loosing any data or settings. Any tips would be nice....Thanks

Saturday, August 18, 2012 10:27 PM

Answers

All replies

•  

Yes, that’s right. In such scenario using mpp file is safest option.

In your source environment, save the project plan as mpp and import in destination environment.

You still have to remember that you need to match Resource information, custom field etc project specific entities.

Please review following threads for additional ideas

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projserv2010setup/thread/9b20ccfd-5f75-44f1-952b-832649792544

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projserv2010setup/thread/e0acca4c-4da7-4056-8ec7-a395f928ca29

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn
    Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you

Saturday, August 18, 2012 11:26 PM
  • Just wanted to ask you if this procedure can work.

How about I backup the PWA database from our current database server (SQL server). In the new environment there is database for the project server (different name) it has no contents, just new project server database. If I restore & overwrite the new database the with the backed up database. Can this work.

Or

Restore the backed up database (with the same name) in the new SQL server and associate the new project server to use this database from onwards.

Please let me know if this process can work If it can, are there any commands after the restore (mount, activate...etc)...Thanks...

• Edited by amirsd Sunday, August 19, 2012 7:51 AM
    Sunday, August 19, 2012 7:44 AM
  • You can if you don't want to retain any data from current (desitnation) PWA, Here is want we can do 

Since current pwa does not have any data, we can delete the PWA instance from central admin, make sure to uncheck the box delete site collection.

1. Detach existing content database
    2. Using SQL server management studio rename above 4 projects and 1 content database. One
      everything is working as expected backup this database and delete.
    3. Connect to source SQL server and backup 4 project databases and associated web
      application (yes we need content db)
    4. Using new SQL server restore these  databases with desired names
    5. Attach restored content database to the web application on which pwa needs to be provision
    6. With this web app provision the pwa site using restored database.

P.S. : Make sure that  your destination farm service pack and CU level is matching or  

higher than source farm

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn
    Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you

Sunday, August 19, 2012 8:36 AM