Easiest way to discover unused/obsolete MP? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

Over time some MP become obsolete, due to changing environment (ie application or OS upgrade/removal).

What is the easiest way to see if a MP has discovered any object?

I tried to make a group based on MP discovery, but I didn't find any easy way.

Monday, January 26, 2015 3:07 PM

Answers

• No, there isn't easy way because it's not out of box so it's need customizing in script to remove it according to conditions as exist in below link

http://www.systemcentercentral.com/removing-obsolete-references-in-custom-management-packs-step-by-step/

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question, please click "Mark As Answer"Mai Ali | My blog: Technical | Twitter: Mai Ali

• Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Tuesday, February 3, 2015 1:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yan Li_ Tuesday, February 10, 2015 6:52 AM
    Monday, January 26, 2015 7:47 PM
  • Hi,

I agree with Mai, it seems like that there is no easy way to do that. Some MP may not have discovery defined, but also store data.

It is not recommended to try to delete any of the base mangement packs that are first installed in a baseline, default OpsMgr install.

If you have imported management packs for applications you don't need, for example if you have imported the KMS management pack and you have no KMS servers in your environment, it would be a good practice to delete those.

The fewer management packs you have loaded, the more efficient your overall management group functions will be.

Regards,

Yan Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 7:00 AM

All replies

• No, there isn't easy way because it's not out of box so it's need customizing in script to remove it according to conditions as exist in below link

http://www.systemcentercentral.com/removing-obsolete-references-in-custom-management-packs-step-by-step/

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question, please click "Mark As Answer"Mai Ali | My blog: Technical | Twitter: Mai Ali

Monday, January 26, 2015 7:47 PM
  • Hi,

I agree with Mai, it seems like that there is no easy way to do that. Some MP may not have discovery defined, but also store data.

It is not recommended to try to delete any of the base mangement packs that are first installed in a baseline, default OpsMgr install.

If you have imported management packs for applications you don't need, for example if you have imported the KMS management pack and you have no KMS servers in your environment, it would be a good practice to delete those.

The fewer management packs you have loaded, the more efficient your overall management group functions will be.

Regards,

Yan Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 7:00 AM