none
starting in a new deployment of windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a customer that last year upgraded almost 300 OEM computers from Windows 7 and 8 to Windows 10, with Update Assistant, and now he asks me to create a golden image with MDT 2013 for these computers in case of a reinstallation and for the new computers that will arrive with Windows 10 OEM in the future.

My customer wants to buy a single VL license in order to download the standard image, I will personalize it and I will be able to deploy it with MDT but my problem is: what will happen when this image will arrive to the OEM computers?

I read an incredible number of pages without find a situation which is exactly like mine, but I found these instructions for the computers which had Windows 8 before 10:

Use this powershell command near the end of your task sequence in MDT, or on its own:

$key=(Get-WmiObject -Class SoftwareLicensingService).OA3xOriginalProductKey

iex "cscript /b C:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /upk"

iex "cscript /b C:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ipk $key"

iex "cscript /b C:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ato"

Should I be pretty sure that this procedure will works? And what about the computers which had previously Windows 7 with its physical sticker?

Thank you in advance!

Thursday, April 13, 2017 2:23 PM

All replies

• The PowerShell script looks like it will works.  MS guidelines for using VL to reimage OEM PCs :  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Licensing/learn-more/brief-reimaging-rights.aspx

Monday, April 17, 2017 6:21 PM
  • Microsoft has very specific policies around re-imaging, many of which are not obvious. I have complained to Microsoft about the messaging in the past, but I don't think they will clarify any time soon.

It's my understanding that "re-imaging" is a specific term, where you are installing a pre-created "image" created from your reference machine (AKA golden image) captured to a wim (or GHO) file. The problem is that *ALL* installs now a days are performed using WIM files (this is in comparison from the Windows XP/2003 days when an OS install was performed from the install disk using compressed files not stored in a WIM image).

Tell your Microsoft rep (when you purchase the single VL license) what you want to do, my understanding is that they will say that you can only re-image machines that have a re-image license (they must *ALL* Be licensed for Enterprise VL).

However it is my understanding that you CAN re-install Windows from the OEM recovery disk, or using the Windows 10 (Basic) or Windows 10 Pro original source media. If the machine was properly licensed for Windows 10 during the Update Assistant, then the license should be in the Windows Store, so it is valid.

My approach would be to create a MDT deployment share with the OEM media imported in, or the latest Windows 10 image (not modified), and then install the necessary apps via scripts.

Sucks, I know.

(If you have any additions to my notes above, please indicate if it's what you recall, or if you have any citations)

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 12:19 AM
  • So, Keith, if I understand your approach is not to buy the VL license but use an original Windows 10 OEM media to create the reference image in MDT? And at the first login the license will be automatically downloaded via the Store?

It is a difference approach but anyway I cannot do that because my customer's machines was upgraded from Windows 7 or 8 and so I don't have an original OEM media with Windows 10. 

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 9:52 AM
  • The PowerShell script looks like it will works.  MS guidelines for using VL to reimage OEM PCs :  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Licensing/learn-more/brief-reimaging-rights.aspx

Great to hear that the script will work, unfortunately I still didn't find an answer for the other question: is there a procedure to activate also the machines with a Windows 7 physical sticker?

Related to the license problem, I read your link and I'm pretty sure that for Microsoft a single VL license is not accepted in my situation.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 9:57 AM