Mail app opens then immediately closes ( tried several fixes already) RRS feed

• Question

• Win10 Pro x64 Build 1511

Several apps would not open (STORE) . I narrowed the issue to a corrupted account. So I deleted the account and re-added it. Now the Store opens and many of the apps now work; except Mail & calendar. they show an open window and immediately close.

I have spent the last four hours googling for a fix, to no avail. Some provided PowerShell commands that I executed but PowerShell said a newer command was available. I ran app troubleshooter & SFC. I looked at permissions as well.

All I want to see is mail and calendar opening.

What can I try?

John Lenz

• Edited by JohnLenz Monday, September 19, 2016 10:20 PM Added content
    Monday, September 19, 2016 8:31 PM

Answers

• Hi John,

Nope, my standard user on the computer can open Mail app without any problems.

The powershell command is just used to register the app in current user account, please make sure to run this powershell command as admin under each user on this computer and check the issue again.

In addition, to check if there is any access denied error during accessing this app by using Process monitor:

Process Monitor v3.05
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

Solving Access Denied Errors Using Process Monitor
    http://improve.dk/solving-access-denied-errors-using-process-monitor/

Please see the major process which use to call store apps is shellexperiencehost.exe.

You can also post the saved pml files onto OneDrive and share the link here for our research.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 22, 2016 7:12 AM

All replies

• Well not sure what PowerShell command you tried (and why the new account did not work) but from an admin PowerShell prompt;

Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online

Removes Mail and Calendar (icons and all). So once done open the Store (double check Store is working before trying) and search mail and calendar, select the familiar MS icon reinstall that see if that helps.

Monday, September 19, 2016 10:18 PM
  • Tried the shell command ( and in prior attempts), no effect. Icons were not removed. Also, the tiles do not have their icon in them, only a reference to @Microsoft...)

This is the administrator account. On another account, the tiles have the icons.

How do I get mail & calendar to work?

John Lenz

Monday, September 19, 2016 11:25 PM
  • Well the icons due say Mail is broken, so in the Store what does the Mail Calendar page say? Does it give the option to install?
    Monday, September 19, 2016 11:32 PM
  • It says product is installed.

John Lenz

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 2:19 AM
  • What I did was to go back to an earlier restore point. Administrator account now has mail & calendar. However, child's accounts (standard users) get the open/close on mail & calendar. The restore cleared up all I tried to do to get mail to work.

What is your suggestion?

John Lenz

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 3:03 AM
  • Well odd more like a profile issues with the account that does not work, if you create a new account to test does work.

From the account (this command is account specific afaik), PowerShell;

Get-AppXPackage -Name microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml" -Verbose}

Give it a try it registers Mail.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 5:37 PM
  • I did s do a rebuild of this granddaughter's account. At first, a click on any did nothing (STORE). After delete & rejoin, the tiles worked except for mail & calendar.

I am taking the system back to my Daughter's house and will try, one last time, there.

Will post results.

John Lenz

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 5:42 PM
  • Tried it in one granddaughters account. It ran immediately. no change on mail open/close.

John Lenz

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 10:40 PM
  • Hi,

It seems that your issue was resolved by create new user account.

Pleas help to mark the helpful post as answer and if there is any misunderstanding, please post back and we are still here to help you fix this issue.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 11:47 AM
  • When I created the new account, it fixed all MS apps not even opening. This is a system for My daughter & her school age children:

1. Mom - Administrator
    2. Child 1 - Standard
    3. Child 2 - Standard
    4. Child 3 - Standard

Mom's account opens mail & calendar with no problem. All children's accounts can open all MS APPS (like Store & weather) but mail & calendar open/close. Could it be that the children do not have administrator permissions?

John Lenz

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 6:49 PM
  • Hi John,

Nope, my standard user on the computer can open Mail app without any problems.

The powershell command is just used to register the app in current user account, please make sure to run this powershell command as admin under each user on this computer and check the issue again.

In addition, to check if there is any access denied error during accessing this app by using Process monitor:

Process Monitor v3.05
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

Solving Access Denied Errors Using Process Monitor
    http://improve.dk/solving-access-denied-errors-using-process-monitor/

Please see the major process which use to call store apps is shellexperiencehost.exe.

You can also post the saved pml files onto OneDrive and share the link here for our research.

Thursday, September 22, 2016 7:12 AM