DHCP: server options become scope options RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody!

Got a stupid question. I have some server options, namely: 

006 DNS Servers
    015 DNS Domain Name
    043 Vendor Specific Info
    252 WPAD

When I add new scope (via DHCP wizard) 006 and 015 become scope options. Their value are from server options, but they've ticked in scope options and their icons have been changed. The other two options (043,252) are ok and do not change (they are server options in scope options section). So the question is how do not let server option become scope option when I create new scope? They should be in scope options section but they shouldn't become scope options (change their icons:)

Thank you.

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 9:49 AM

Answers

• Hi,

>> So the question is how do not let server option become scope option when I create new scope?
    Based on my research, you can choose "No, I will configure these options later" in the Configure DHCP Options tab when creating a new DHCP scope. The following screenshot for your reference:

>> They should be in scope options section but they shouldn't become scope options (change their icons:)
    Do you mean like the following screenshot? If yes, these icons are by design.

If you need further help, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,
    Albert

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 9:00 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>> So the question is how do not let server option become scope option when I create new scope?
    Based on my research, you can choose "No, I will configure these options later" in the Configure DHCP Options tab when creating a new DHCP scope. The following screenshot for your reference:

>> They should be in scope options section but they shouldn't become scope options (change their icons:)
    Do you mean like the following screenshot? If yes, these icons are by design.

Best Regards,
    Albert

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 9:00 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Albert

Friday, February 9, 2018 8:52 AM
  • Sorry for delay (It took time to verify my account). That's my post with pics:

Aha! Thanks for your response. That's make sense. When I choose "No, I will configure these options later", scope options don't "change" (I mean icon). They have server option icon. That's what I need:

But if I choose "Yes, I want to configure these options now" and I add e.g. router, then some options (including router - it's ok) "become" scope option (changing icon). Like this:

So, you want to say that is only design? And if I change some server options (I mean value of the option), they will change in that scope? I don't think so.

Is there any other way to set scope options (e.g. when you making new scope) without "changing" server options in that new scope? When I say "changing" I mean not value but the status or icon (look at the pics).

Thank you.

• Edited by Petrokl Monday, February 12, 2018 6:49 PM
    Monday, February 12, 2018 6:48 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for sharing your current progress. Based on the test in my lab, I'd like to explain that in "Scope Options", if the icon of "Option Name" is "Server", it means the options are inherited from the "Server Options"; if the icon is "Paper", then it means the options are configured in the "Scope Options". Please right clicking the "Scope Options" and click "Configure Options" to see whether the options with "Paper" icon is checked. The following screenshot for your reference:

Best Regards,
    Albert

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 10:04 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for response. Yeap, that's right. Options which marked have 'Paper' icon (look at the pic). And I understand that. Also I understood that If I do not want them becoming scope option I should choose "No, I will configure this options late" in New scope wizard. That is clear. Appreciate that... 

But the question was: Is there other methods to setup some (e.g. add router) options via New scope wizard, BUT do not turn up into scope option other server options (such as  006 DNS Servers or 015 DNS Domain Names)?

Thank you.

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 1:18 PM
  • Hi,

I'd like to explain that this requirement is inherently contradictory. If the desired options settings (for example: 006 DNS Servers) for one scope are already the same as the defined "Server Options". Then you don't need to define them again when creating a new scope. But even if you define it, as long as the settings are right, then everything is fine.

In addition, you can use PowerShell cmdlet Add-DhcpServerv4Scope to create a scope with the least setting:
    Add-DhcpServerv4Scope -Name Test -StartRange 10.10.10.1 -EndRange 10.10.10.254 -SubnetMask 255.255.255.0

Best Regards,
    Albert

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 10:55 AM
  • Hello,

But if I change 'Server options', for instance add or change IP address of DNS servers (006), it would NOT take effect in that scopes where this 006 DNS Serves options had become the 'Scope options'. Am I right?

Thank you.

Thursday, February 15, 2018 5:53 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, it is "Yes". "Scope Option" priority is greater than "Server Option". If there is a "Scope Option", "Server Option" will not take effect.

Best Regards,
    Albert

Thursday, February 15, 2018 7:20 AM
  • Hello,

Okay. And the answer on my question: Is there other method...? is 'No', right?

Thank you.

Thursday, February 15, 2018 7:40 AM
  • Hi,

>> But the question was: Is there other methods to setup some (e.g. add router) options via New scope wizard, BUT do not turn up into scope option other server options (such as  006 DNS Servers or 015 DNS Domain Names)?
    Yes, just set "Router" in the "Server Options" and let the settings blank when creating DHCP scope and then they will become "Server Options".

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Albert

Friday, February 16, 2018 10:00 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Albert

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 8:05 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for reply, but I didn't see the other method. You already told me the way how to set in your first reply. But I asked about other method. Is there or not?

Thank you.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 9:23 AM
  • Hi,

Please allow me to make a summary of the entire thread:

Question: So the question is how do not let server option become scope option when I create new scope?
    Solution 1: You can choose "No, I will configure these options later" in the Configure DHCP Options tab when creating a new DHCP scope.
    Solution 2: You can use PowerShell cmdlet Add-DhcpServerv4Scope to create a scope with the least setting.
    Solution 3: Just set "Router" in the "Server Options" and let the settings blank when creating DHCP scope and then they will become "Server Options".

Do you mean in addition to the above three methods, you also need other ways? If yes, I suppose no.

Best Regards,
    Albert
    Wednesday, February 21, 2018 7:38 AM
  • Hello, 

Alright, alright mate. Sorry for being annoying. I think that the answer on my last question is NO. And you know it. Because when you create New Scope via wizard ( there is only one way how to create new scope in DHCP mmc) you can only choose 'No, I will configure these options later' to avoid changing Server option into Scope option. And I meant that is there other option or way how to create via wizard and do not get this change. Set router and don't have over options become Scope option.

I realized that I can use PS script. You know I will when there is a need to add bunch of scopes. In my case there is only one. May be two... a week. So I prefer wizard)) 

I understand that I can add via wizard and set up options. And then... switched them off in Scope options. But I prefer do not switch them on in wizard (by choosing 'No, I will...') and then add some.

So I marked you first answer as Answer on my stupid question and go back to work))

Thank you for your cooperation and patience. Peace.

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 8:37 AM