why some workstations dissapear on wsus? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, why some workstations dissapear on wsus?

Some stations always send it status to wsus and i can look on it.

When i look on computers i don't see some workstations, but if i launch check updates on these workstations, it appears on wsus, after some time it dissapears again.

What is the problem?

• Edited by alibek555 Thursday, May 18, 2017 8:52 AM
    Thursday, May 18, 2017 8:51 AM

Answers

• Hi alibek,

Just to check if you get any progress with the issue? Could the issue be resolved after resetting SUSClientID?

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by alibek555 Friday, June 9, 2017 7:26 AM
    Thursday, June 1, 2017 5:28 AM

All replies

• Hi alibek,

1. Do you enable automatic update on those machines?

2. Do you have a schedule to run Server Cleanup Wizard, it may delete computer that do not connect with the WSUS server for a long time;

Best Regards,

Anne

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 12:02 PM
  • The SCW by default has the "Computers not contacting the server" box checked which will remove any computer that has not contacted the server in 30 days.

You can use my script below to maintain WSUS in a much better fashion, and I even include the ability to CUSTOMIZE when the computers get removed (say 60 or 90 or x days instead of 30), and when it does remove them, they are logged which computers got removed and when they last synced with the server.

Have a peek at my Adamj Clean-WSUS script. It is the last WSUS Script you will ever need.

http://community.spiceworks.com/scripts/show/2998-adamj-clean-wsus

What it does:

1. Remove all Drivers from the WSUS Database.
    2. Shrink your WSUSContent folder's size by declining superseded updates.
    3. Remove declined updates from the WSUS Database.
    4. Clean out all the synchronization logs that have built up over time (configurable, with the default keeping the last 14 days of logs).
    5. Compress Update Revisions.
    6. Remove Obsolete Updates.
    7. Computer Object Cleanup (configurable, with the default of deleting computer objects that have not synced within 30 days).
    8. Application Pool Memory Configuration to display the current private memory limit and easily increase it by any configurable amount.
    9. Run the Recommended SQL database Maintenance script on the actual SQL database.
    10. Run the Server Cleanup Wizard.

It will email the report out to you or save it to a file, or both.

Although the script is lengthy, it has been made to be super easy to setup and use. There are some prerequisites and instructions at the top of the script. After installing the prerequisites and configuring the variables for your environment, simply run:

.\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -FirstRun

and then

.\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -InstallTask

If you wish to view or increase the Application Pool Memory Configuration, you must run it with the required switch. See Get-Help .\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -Examples

If you're having trouble, there's also a -HelpMe option that will create a log so you can send it to me for support.

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    http://www.adamj.org

Thursday, May 25, 2017 3:55 AM
  • Hi alibek,

1. Do you enable automatic update on those machines?

2. Do you have a schedule to run Server Cleanup Wizard, it may delete computer that do not connect with the WSUS server for a long time;

Best Regards,

Anne

1. yes it is enabled

2. no it didn't launch

I launch check updates on the workstations, after that i see the workstations, but after some Hours, workstations dissapear on wsus

Friday, May 26, 2017 2:40 AM
  • Thanks Adamj, but i don't think that problem in SCW, because workstations dissapear after some hours
    Friday, May 26, 2017 2:45 AM
  • Could be duplicate SusId https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/d7fa78fd-55b2-497d-aa80-eb1a1e7657b4/duplicate-susclientidread-on?forum=winserverwsus
    Sunday, May 28, 2017 11:51 PM
  • About 10 stations dissapear on wsus, there is a chance that OS on workstations was made from clone (backup, not an image), but i doubt in it.
    Monday, May 29, 2017 3:01 AM
  • Hi alibek,

Just to check if you get any progress with the issue? Could the issue be resolved after resetting SUSClientID?

Best Regards,

Anne

• Marked as answer by alibek555 Friday, June 9, 2017 7:26 AM
    Thursday, June 1, 2017 5:28 AM
  • i reset susclientid, didn't help
    Tuesday, June 6, 2017 3:01 AM
  • Hi albek,

What is the version of the WSUS server and do you do WSUS maintenance(Server Cleanup Wizard and reindex WSUS database) regularly?

If not, please also try reindex WSUS database:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd939795%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best Regards,

Anne

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 5:48 AM
  • Try my script. It fixes a lot of issues.

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    http://www.adamj.org

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 9:24 AM
  • What is the version of the WSUS server and do you do WSUS maintenance(Server Cleanup Wizard and reindex WSUS database) regularly?

If not, please also try reindex WSUS database:

WSUS 4.0 on Windows Server 2012 R2. I didnt' do SCW.

Also Wsus doesn't determine WS2016, i found how to fix it, but i have problems with it too, so i want to deploy wsus on WS2016 and look what will be on it.

Thanks.

Thursday, June 8, 2017 3:29 AM
  • About 10 stations dissapear on wsus, there is a chance that OS on workstations was made from clone (backup, not an image), but i doubt in it.
    That is my guess as well. Duplicate SUSID's can happen with improperly sysprepped/cloned images. I usually just delete the SUSID's in the registry key on the client and that repairs the client so it does not disappear in WSUS.
    Thursday, June 8, 2017 5:26 PM
  • I found several scripts that reset SUSClientID, i tried all of it on workstations, and now i see these workstations on wsus. Probably a problem was in susclientid. Thanks to everybody.
    Friday, June 9, 2017 7:25 AM
  • Hi alibek,

Glad to hear it works and you are welcome. Cheers!

Best Regards,

Anne

Friday, June 9, 2017 7:29 AM