Vista Driver folder RRS feed

• Question

• I have a number of computers. One runs Vista, others run XP Home. One of my XP computers had a drive failure so I installed a new drive and reinstalled XP. I didn't get any ethernet drivers in the install and didn't have a drivers disc for this box so I installed vista on this computer just to get on the net and download the xp drivers.

After reinstalling XP (over Vista) I get a "there is a problem with the hard drive" message upon boot, and "Press Enter to continue". Everything boots up fine after I press enter.

Using windows search I found a folder on the drive called "Vista" in a location called "Driver". This folder is not identified as being at any path on the drive. It appears as a stand-alone "Driver" folder with no drive letter, so I am assuming it is part of the bootstrap.

The Vista folder contains a file called cmiboot.exe. I suspect this is the source of the error. Will deleting this folder remove the boot error? Can I delete this folder? Are there any registry entries or other embedded data that needs to be edited?

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 5:31 PM