Word 2010 custom properties RRS feed

• Question

• For Word 2010, I want to add custom document properties to the document information panel so that other users can easily update any custom document properties.  Is there a way to accomplish this without using SharePoint?
    Friday, November 30, 2012 6:35 PM

Answers

• SharePoint is not required to create a custom Document Information Panel (DIP) for distribution. You may create a form in InfoPath and store this to a Network Share that everyone has access to. It is necessary to add the reference to the XSN file within the Template File that will be used for the Documents that will use the form.

The steps are as follows:

1. Create your form in InfoPath and Publish it to the Network Location where it will be stored.
    2. Create your Document Template in Word.
    3. On the Developer Tab add a Panel to the file pointing at the Network location where you stored the XSN you created in step #1. Be sure to make sure you select the correct options to display this when you want it to be displayed.
    4. Save your Template in the Network Share or other location where your users are going to find it. 

In order for a customized DIP to be utilized by users of the Template created it is necessary for them to have InfoPath installed on the Client system as well as the other office applications.

Provided by Chris Nicholas,  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/hr/officeitproprevious/thread/b12a7caa-c6c3-45a6-bf7f-83eb9a235aef

Max Meng
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Max Meng Monday, December 3, 2012 7:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by Max Meng Thursday, December 6, 2012 8:26 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by aviva75 Tuesday, January 22, 2013 8:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by aviva75 Tuesday, January 22, 2013 9:45 PM
    Monday, December 3, 2012 7:47 AM

All replies

• SharePoint is not required to create a custom Document Information Panel (DIP) for distribution. You may create a form in InfoPath and store this to a Network Share that everyone has access to. It is necessary to add the reference to the XSN file within the Template File that will be used for the Documents that will use the form.

The steps are as follows:

1. Create your form in InfoPath and Publish it to the Network Location where it will be stored.
    2. Create your Document Template in Word.
    3. On the Developer Tab add a Panel to the file pointing at the Network location where you stored the XSN you created in step #1. Be sure to make sure you select the correct options to display this when you want it to be displayed.
    4. Save your Template in the Network Share or other location where your users are going to find it. 

In order for a customized DIP to be utilized by users of the Template created it is necessary for them to have InfoPath installed on the Client system as well as the other office applications.

Provided by Chris Nicholas,  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/hr/officeitproprevious/thread/b12a7caa-c6c3-45a6-bf7f-83eb9a235aef

Max Meng
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Max Meng Monday, December 3, 2012 7:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by Max Meng Thursday, December 6, 2012 8:26 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by aviva75 Tuesday, January 22, 2013 8:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by aviva75 Tuesday, January 22, 2013 9:45 PM
    Monday, December 3, 2012 7:47 AM
  • Thanks for this response.  However, I still don't understand how to create the InfoPath form so that it links to the custom properties in my Word doc.
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 8:37 PM
  • Which sort of "custom properties" are you talking about? The old Word Custom Document Properties, or the newer "Server" properties - the sort that are indeed associated with SharePoint?

Peter Jamieson

Saturday, January 26, 2013 9:08 AM
  • The old word custom properties, but I'm open to using SharePoint. 

My issue is that I want to develop a way to stamp out 100 documents using the same template where the preparer can easily input the variable data needed to produce an instance.  Right now I'm using the old custom document properties, but the user interface is a bit awkward. I like the how the InfoPath form is easily displayed in Word and can show the reader the metadata when the document opens.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 7:20 PM
  • If you are still looking at this...

Sorry, I'd hoped to have a better look at what can be done via InfoPath, either easily (point a DIP field at a custom property) or with InfoPath code (somehow get the custom property value and put it in the DIP, and vice versa, when appropriate). But I haven't been able to do that yet.

So let's assume for a moment that that cannot be done in InfoPath. In that case, if you really want to use existing old-style Custom Document Properties and co-ordinate them with the DIP, I think you would need to...

a. define your DIP as a Custom InfoPath form, with the fields in the DIP connected to (say) elements in a Word Custom XML Part. That can be done, and the DIP will successfully maintain the data in the Part.

b. use VBA (or VB.NET/VSTO) and the relevant XML data store events to detect changes to the Part, and maintain the data in the equivalent Custom Document Properties. Changes to the Part would occur when the user types in the DIP, or in a Content Control connected to the Part. That would allow users to use { DOCPROPERTY } fields to insert values entered in the DIP.

c. if for some reason you still needed to ensure that changes to Custom Document Properties made using the traditional dialog were reflected in the DIP, I think you would have to use VBA (or whatever) to intercept Word's FileProperties command and replace it by a routine that

- copied Custom XML Part property values to same-named Custom Document Properties

- displayed the relevant dialog box (I think you have to use Word.Dialogs(750).Show and leave the user to select the relevant tab), or develop your own dialog box to allow Custom Document Property maintenance and/or provide some mechanism to reach the other parts of that dialog

- copied Custom Document Property values to the same-named Custom XML Part properties (and ensure that XML data store update events were suitably handled).

That's also doable, i.e. you could write code that would make a reasonable job of coordinating the two "views" of the properties, but it looks like quite a slog to me.

But what if you provided a custom DIP with the fields that you need, connect up content controls to the relevant Part (if you need the values to appear in the document, and forget about traditional custom custom document properties. Nothing outside your code would recognise your "properties", but it would be fairly easy to extract them either using VBA/VB.NET or the OOXML SDK to access the XML Part. 

Peter Jamieson

Friday, February 8, 2013 6:07 PM