Problem with view type RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Possible bug in 64 bit Windows 7? I have hundreds of folders in "My Pictures", I like the view for this to be list. If I go into one of the subfolders and set the view in there to be medium so I can see the thumbnails, when I go back to the mail My Pictures folder that has also changed to medium etc.
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 10:58 AM

Answers

• thephotoboy,

Each library will retain the view setting throughout the entire library. All you have to do is create a new library, and include the original library and set the view.
    For example:

I have a 'Pictures' library, and I have the view set to medium to see the pictures.
    I create a new library called 'Pictures list' and include the 'Pictures' library. I set the 'Pictures list' view to details.
    Now, depending if I'm just browsing my pictures (or know exactly where I want to go), or if I want to dig through the list view will decide which library I want to pick for use.

Libraries can be very helpful if you have files scattered all over (for whatever reason) and want to see them all listed in one place. For someone who is very organized (All pictures in one folder with subfolders) then you might be better off with just a shortcut to the parent folder since each folder will remember it's individual view setting.
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 5:02 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• You would have to make a Library list of the files to have individual views.
    Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 1:55 PM
  • How do I do that?
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 9:49 PM
  • Use the Help and Support app to search for "Working with Libraries" to get some good instructions on that. (Be sure to select "Offline Help" in the bottom right corner of the help app)
    Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 2:28 PM
  • thephotoboy,

Each library will retain the view setting throughout the entire library. All you have to do is create a new library, and include the original library and set the view.
    For example:

I have a 'Pictures' library, and I have the view set to medium to see the pictures.
    I create a new library called 'Pictures list' and include the 'Pictures' library. I set the 'Pictures list' view to details.
    Now, depending if I'm just browsing my pictures (or know exactly where I want to go), or if I want to dig through the list view will decide which library I want to pick for use.

Libraries can be very helpful if you have files scattered all over (for whatever reason) and want to see them all listed in one place. For someone who is very organized (All pictures in one folder with subfolders) then you might be better off with just a shortcut to the parent folder since each folder will remember it's individual view setting.
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 5:02 PM
    Answerer