none
Exchange 2013 S/MIME setup

Question

• I currently have a 2010 exchange setup where we utlize S/MIME for all of our users.  I am in the process of migrating over to Exchange 2013 but I'm hitting a road block with the S/MIME setup in 13.  The one thing I'm not understanding from the instructions that you find is Setup of a Virtual Certificate Collection to validate OWA S/MIME.  I'm supposed to Export a certificate into SST type and then use the set-smimeconfig to save the certificate in the virtual store.  My question is What certificate am I supposed to export?  Should I be exporting my ROOTCA?

----E----

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 7:07 PM

Answers

• Please refer to this earlier thread might helps you to get in detailed- S/MIME with Exchange 2013 OWA

Check this article to Set up virtual certificate collection to validate S/MIME.

S/MIME for message signing and encryption:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-IN/library/dn626158(v=exchg.150).aspx

How To Import and Export Certificates So That You Can Use S/MIME in Outlook Web Access on Multiple Computers: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/kb/823503

Hope this helps!

Cloud migration can be a tedious task without the right solution. Lepide Meteor suite has all you need to analyze/upgrade/migrate your current Exchange environment to Office 365 and also helps you migrate any legacy File Servers, SharePoint and Public Folders to SharePoint, Office 365 or OneDrive as required.

• Marked as answer by ehans67 Thursday, May 26, 2016 2:26 PM
    Thursday, May 26, 2016 5:17 AM
  • Thank you!  That helped.  From Exchange Powershell I ran

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-ChildItem -Path cert:\LocalMachine\root\"Insert RootCA thumbprint" | Export-Certificate -FilePath C:\temp\allcerts.sst -Type SST

Then ran

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>set-smimeconfig -SMIMECertificateIssuingCA (Get-Content c:\temp\allcerts.sst -Encoding Byte)

Then ran

Get-SMIMEConfig and was able to verify that the SMIMECertificateIssuingCA was showing the correct information.  I then tried to encrypt an email and everything worked.

Thank you for the guidance.

----E----

Thursday, May 26, 2016 2:38 PM

All replies

• Please refer to this earlier thread might helps you to get in detailed- S/MIME with Exchange 2013 OWA

Check this article to Set up virtual certificate collection to validate S/MIME.

S/MIME for message signing and encryption:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-IN/library/dn626158(v=exchg.150).aspx

How To Import and Export Certificates So That You Can Use S/MIME in Outlook Web Access on Multiple Computers: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/kb/823503

Hope this helps!

Cloud migration can be a tedious task without the right solution. Lepide Meteor suite has all you need to analyze/upgrade/migrate your current Exchange environment to Office 365 and also helps you migrate any legacy File Servers, SharePoint and Public Folders to SharePoint, Office 365 or OneDrive as required.

• Marked as answer by ehans67 Thursday, May 26, 2016 2:26 PM
    Thursday, May 26, 2016 5:17 AM
  • Thank you!  That helped.  From Exchange Powershell I ran

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-ChildItem -Path cert:\LocalMachine\root\"Insert RootCA thumbprint" | Export-Certificate -FilePath C:\temp\allcerts.sst -Type SST

Then ran

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>set-smimeconfig -SMIMECertificateIssuingCA (Get-Content c:\temp\allcerts.sst -Encoding Byte)

Then ran

Get-SMIMEConfig and was able to verify that the SMIMECertificateIssuingCA was showing the correct information.  I then tried to encrypt an email and everything worked.

Thank you for the guidance.

----E----

Thursday, May 26, 2016 2:38 PM
  • Anyone know why when I would sign on to owa as the admin mailbox I have the option to use S/MIME but after I migrated 1 mailbox they sign on and the S/MIME options are grayed out?

----E----

Friday, May 27, 2016 6:28 PM