literature RRS feed

• Question

• Is anyone aware of any good books that provides the technical details of how fast for sharepoint works, its requirements, topologies, advanced configuration, troubleshooting and performance monitoring. I have gone over whats on technet but I have an desire to know more and hopefully connected to real world scenarios.

Marco

Saturday, August 25, 2012 3:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Marco,

I'm as bold to suggest the book I authored with two of my friends, "Working with Microsoft FAST Search Server 2010 for SharePoint" :). The last chapter tries to cover two full scenarios, involving what has to be configured/created in order to solve them. They focus on the search functions and not on content volume/topology. Contributors on this forum are probably more than happy to answer any question you might have as well.

There is also another book out there "Professional Microsoft Search" which is worth to take a look at.

Thanks,
    Mikael Svenson

Search Enthusiast - SharePoint MVP/MCT/MCPD
    http://techmikael.blogspot.com/
    Author of Working with FAST Search Server 2010 for SharePoint

Saturday, August 25, 2012 7:52 PM
  • Thanks Mikael...I was aware of the Working with FAST..." and actually got it. But found it lacking from the perspective a getting really under the hood, in terms of log file messages, file flow, for instance what are all those workorder files for. What are the different indexing states and what they mean. I know the info I am looking for is knowledge one aquires by running many fast deployments, but when you have a single install and are trying to assess it is running properly by looking at performane montiors and fast logs it is difficult. I will take a look at the other title you mentioned.

Thanks Again

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 2:04 PM
  • Hi,

The other book will not give you much more under the hood I'm afraid. Your best shot at documentation is to read through the FAST ESP documentation. However, it does not talk about "copying", "waiting" etc during indexing, but if I'm not mistaken, the copying state during indexing is when it moves data from one internal partition to another.

As for all the files, flow of them between components etc, this is not very documented at all and is considered internal knowledge. What information I have gathered along the years is mostly from other colleagues and talks with different FAST technicians, in regards to different deployments.

I too like to know every single bit there is when possible, but much of this information is not that useful in real life ;) If you have started to look at search in 2013, you will see that there is even less information available. They have packed the search engine up pretty good :)

Thanks,
    Mikael Svenson

Search Enthusiast - SharePoint MVP/MCT/MCPD
    http://techmikael.blogspot.com/
    Author of Working with FAST Search Server 2010 for SharePoint

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 5:26 PM