Running out of space on C drive - Windows 2008 R2 Server RRS feed

• Question

• I am unable to free space on my server C drive.

Have activated the desktop experience service and running disk cleanup. This freed a very small disk volume after removing all the previous updates. The defragmentation did not help much either and continued to remain 52% fragmented after running through a full cycle multiple times. 

The windows folder on the C drive is currently 92 gb!! I believe it is occupying a lot of volume. 

What should i be doing now. Do I need to add in more hard disks??. 

Thursday, August 17, 2017 3:26 AM

All replies

• Hello Krmeda,

Please try the below steps to delete some more space.

- Go to run and enter temp , delete all the files

- Go to run and enter %temp% , delete all the files.

- Go to C drive -> windows -> Software distribution -> download  , check the folder size and delete all the files (it is unnecessary files).

Please check if this can help.

Thursday, August 17, 2017 3:47 AM
  • hi

first download treesize view and select  the c drive.it will show the exact items what is eating c drive space

https://jam-software.com/treesize_free/

also empty the recyclebin

check any backup is happing on c drive.Uninstall unwanted applications by opening appwiz.cpl

Thursday, August 17, 2017 3:59 AM
  • In addition to what has already been mentioned, check the following: 

Check c:\users and delete any unnecessary user profiles, sometimes user profiles have downloads, documents and desktop items that take up a lot of space.

Uninstall any unused programs an their respective appdata and program folders.

Save and clear as many logs as possible, and set programs to log to another volume.

here are some more ideas:

http://www.peterviola.com/9-best-ways-to-free-up-windows-server-disk-space/

If you have a way of increasing disk space, i.e. if this is a VM or you can repartition with third party tools, then that's the best thing to do because  IMHO this is a small partition and eventually you will end up here again. 

Miguel Fra
    Falcon IT Services
    https://www.falconitservices.com

• Edited by Miguel Fra Thursday, August 17, 2017 4:34 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Mary Dong Thursday, August 17, 2017 5:53 AM
    Thursday, August 17, 2017 4:25 AM
  • Hi

Is your swap file on C drive to? if it is, that usually takes up quite a bit of space.

Run sysdm.cpl
    Go to Advanced 
    Select Settings under Performance 
    Go to Advanced (again)
    Select Change under Virtual Memory

ref:https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/motiba/2015/10/15/page-file-the-definitive-guide/

If you have IIS running, check the logs, they can fill up really quickly, and move them to another drive

look in C:\inetpub\logs\LogFiles\W3SVC1

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/iis/manage/provisioning-and-managing-iis/managing-iis-log-file-storage

Cheers

Thursday, August 17, 2017 4:48 AM
  • hi Mylavarapu Satyanarayana

I just checked after installing treesize. Most of the data is lost on c/windows/temp and c/windows/logs. Is it safe to clear the contents of these 2 folder. I have attached the report. There are no backups on the C drive. Have cleared the recycle bin. 

Thanks, Krmeda.

• Edited by krmeda Monday, August 21, 2017 8:23 AM
    Monday, August 21, 2017 8:20 AM
  • Yes, You can delete the temp folders
    Monday, August 21, 2017 8:58 AM
  • How about the logs? Can they also go. 
    Monday, August 21, 2017 11:43 AM
  • Hi,

The CbsPersist logs are only useful to diagnose problems related with Windows Updates and the Component Store, my suggestion is to remove all the old logs except the last one.

Usually Windows compress the log's into cab format to save space but it seems it can fail if the logs are big (> 2GB), if there isn't enough free space, etc.

All delete the below one -  

- Go to C drive -> windows -> Software distribution -> download  , check the folder size and delete all the files.

Prashant

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 1:21 AM
  • A very likely cause is that Windows Error Reporting is enabled by default. This creates CAB files in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue and sends them to Microsoft, but does not delete them after they are sent. 

Don't just delete them! Clear them out this way: Control Panel -> System and Security -> Action Center -> Maintenance -> View reliability history -> View all problem reports, then click Clear all problem reports.

And then consider disabling this error reporting. 

Windows Server 2012 / R2 – select I don’t want to participate, and don’t ask me again in the Control Panel -> System and Security -> Action Center -> Maintenance -> Settings

Windows Server 2008 R2 – open Server Manager and scroll down the list to the Resources and Support section. Select I don’t want to participate, and don’t ask me again option.

In Windows 10 you cannot disable Error Reporting in the GUI. You can check the component status in the Control Panel -> System & Security -> Security and Maintenance -> Maintenance. As you can see, the Report problems parameter is enabled.

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 7:15 AM