Vista 64-bit and memory amount problem RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit OS OEM version over Windows XP 32-bit. I did clean install by booting from DVD. After installation there's only 3582 MB of RAM instead of 4096 MB i can see in system info. After i reinstall by booting from DVD and format only the logical destination partition (have 4 on physical drive), but got the same result. I tried reset BIOS (have latest version) - that doesn't help.
    If i understand right, the 64-bit OS must show me correct amount of RAM, but that's not happen. There's almost the same thread
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/showpost.aspx?postid=2528026&siteid=17&message_id=918376&notification_id=918376 exept one thing. In bios i can see two parameters:
    1. installed memory - 4096 MB
    2. usable memory    - 3583 MB

Windows system info showing 3582 MB too, but CPU-Z represent correct amount of memory - 4096 MB.

There's some system info:

CPU                         AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+
    Mainboard Model       M2N32-SLI DELUXE (Phoenix AwardBIOS ver.1503)
    Memory                    2 pair of Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 (2 GB kit)
    Memory type            DDR2
    Size                        1024 MBytes
    Max bandwidth         PC2-6400 (400 MHz)
    Part number             CM2X1024-6400C4  

Graphics  
     Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2 (2 gpu whit 2x512MB memory onboard)
      Total available graphics memory 2031 MB
            Dedicated graphics memory  512 MB
            Dedicated system memory       0 MB
            Shared system memory      1519 MB
      Display adapter driver version 7.15.11.6375
      Primary monitor resolution 1680x1050
      DirectX version DirectX 9.0 or better

Is it here anyway to make Vista recognize correct amount of memory?

Raimondas

Monday, December 10, 2007 2:34 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Thanks for your post!

I’ve carefully checked your question as well as the information about Nvidia Geforce video card. Please note the system information you cited in the post:

Shared system memory: 1519 MB

Shared system memory is a feature that permits both system and video card access an amount of RAM if necessary. Nvidia Geforce 7950 GX2 has 1GB RAM onboard, so I think the other approx. 500MB RAM may be provided by motherboard. That’s the most possible reason leading to this issue.

Generally, you may configure the feature in BIOS. I highly recommend you to contact Nvidia to report this issue and confirm the cause.

If I misunderstood this issue, please let me know. I’m happy to be of further assistance.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 6:35 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Thanks for your post!

I’ve carefully checked your question as well as the information about Nvidia Geforce video card. Please note the system information you cited in the post:

Shared system memory: 1519 MB

Shared system memory is a feature that permits both system and video card access an amount of RAM if necessary. Nvidia Geforce 7950 GX2 has 1GB RAM onboard, so I think the other approx. 500MB RAM may be provided by motherboard. That’s the most possible reason leading to this issue.

Generally, you may configure the feature in BIOS. I highly recommend you to contact Nvidia to report this issue and confirm the cause.

If I misunderstood this issue, please let me know. I’m happy to be of further assistance.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 6:35 AM
  • I have the same problem as this first guy, in regard to Vista 64 bit not recognizing all of my RAM. I pretty much have the same setup (Faster proc, exact same Motherboard & Memory brand & type) 2 nVidia 7600gs cards (not in SLI, but capable) This motherboard does not share video memory so that's not the problem. When I put all 4 GB of RAM in, the machine just cuts out on me, BSOD and everything (complete with memory error). It pretty much acts like a 32 bit OS in this respect. I thought I read somewhere that Vista 64 had an error like this in the kernel and that it's supposedly going to be fixed with SP1. Do you know anything about this, or any hotfixes I can do?  

Monday, February 18, 2008 8:18 PM