none
Saving to MPP from PS2010 then opening the file in 2013 or 2016 does not show ECF Data RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are trying to move some projects from MSPS 2010 MSPS 2016.  We save the file as an MPP, then open the file in Project 2016, save as to MSPS 2016.   When we open the MPP in Project 2016 the ECFs are displayed in the project, however the data is not present (we did this with project connected to PWA and not connected).  We have the same issue in Project 2013.

We did check the box to save the Enterprise fields.  We also opened the MPP in Project 2010 after saving it, to ensure the data was there before opening in Project 2016.   We did this on two different implementations of MSPS 2010 and 2016.  MSPS 2016 has the same labeled ECFs.

Are we missing something?

Tx

Andrew

Andrew Payze

Monday, September 18, 2017 11:09 PM

Answers

• Andrew --

I ran into this issue personally when I was assisting with a manual migration from Project Server 2010 to 2013.  The problem is that the ECFs in your 2010 system do not have the same GUIDs as the identically-named ECFs in your 2016 system.  Even if the names match, the fields do not match, and the data does not carry over from 2010 to 2016.

I was able to work around this limitation by writing a series of macros that would capture all of the enterprise custom Project and Task field information in a project in the 2010 system and export the data to an Excel workbook.  Then, another series of macros would write the data back in the project from the Excel workbook in the 2013 system.

I realize that may not be a lot of help to you, but I wanted you to at least understand the cause of this issue.  And no, there is no way to tell Project Server to match the GUIDs.  Sorry.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Andrew Payze Friday, September 29, 2017 1:50 AM
    Tuesday, September 19, 2017 1:33 PM

All replies

• Try using the Import Project to Enterprise Wizard and make sure that they ECF are defined the same in PWA.

The "Import Project to Enterprise" wizard can be added to the quick launch ribbon by clicking the right clicking on the ribbon and selecting "Customize quick access toolbar". 

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 3:39 AM
  • Andrew --

I ran into this issue personally when I was assisting with a manual migration from Project Server 2010 to 2013.  The problem is that the ECFs in your 2010 system do not have the same GUIDs as the identically-named ECFs in your 2016 system.  Even if the names match, the fields do not match, and the data does not carry over from 2010 to 2016.

I was able to work around this limitation by writing a series of macros that would capture all of the enterprise custom Project and Task field information in a project in the 2010 system and export the data to an Excel workbook.  Then, another series of macros would write the data back in the project from the Excel workbook in the 2013 system.

I realize that may not be a lot of help to you, but I wanted you to at least understand the cause of this issue.  And no, there is no way to tell Project Server to match the GUIDs.  Sorry.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Andrew Payze Friday, September 29, 2017 1:50 AM
    Tuesday, September 19, 2017 1:33 PM
  • Hi Dale,

Thank-you for this information, it is always good to know someone else ran into the problem:-).  Sounds like you built a very cool work around.

Regards and thank you for the feedback

Andrew

Andrew Payze

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 2:26 PM
  • Andrew --

Yup, my workaround was very cool and it worked like a charm.  However, it was never needed as the company decided to do the database migration from 2010 to 2013 instead.

If my reply answered your question, would you kindly mark it as the answer?  Thanks!

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 6:55 PM
  • Dale -

Yes I will mark it as completed, I did vote on it already.

I did have a clarification question as I work through this issue.  I completely understand the GUID issue.  Should I still be able to see the ECF Values in the MPP file when I open it in project 2016 and I am not connected to a PWA?  It lists the ECFs but not the data

Regards

Andrew

Andrew Payze

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 9:27 PM