none
SBS 2011 compatability with DPM 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• There doesn't seem to be any formal compatibility statement from Microsoft (that I could find) regarding the compatibility of SBS 2011 with DPM 2010. I have some seen comments that suggest that they are compatible and others that say they aren't fully, particularly in the VM environment.

Specifically, can SBS Server essentials and standard, with or without premium add-on be protected with DPM 2010?

Can all the SBS versions/combinations running as Virtual Machines be protected with DPM 2010 running either on the host server or a separate server?
    Saturday, April 23, 2011 12:36 AM

All replies

• I know this is a month old post, but have you found anything in your research?  I have come across http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399416.aspx, which says "For a DPM server that is installed on a domain controller, only protection of data sources local to the DPM server is supported. You cannot install agents on other computers to configure protection."  Would this preclude client agent backups then, and probably the exchange store?  There's also a very manual procedure to complete the install on a DC(not the end of the world).

The requirements of DPM go on to state that it should not have:

• A computer on which the Application Server role is installed

• A computer that is a System Center Operations Manager management server

• A computer on which Exchange Server is running  (hmmm)

• A computer that is a node of a cluster

I'll probably be labing it tommorow to see what happens.  I want to see what "should" really means.

Jason

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 1:46 AM
  • Jason,

Here's an even older reply.

Still no luck finding a definitive answer, although indirect posts suggest it would work ok.

One thing though, DPM 2010 can only be installed on the host machine, and no other applications other than Hyper-V should be installed along side it.

This would mean SBS would have to be virtualized for DPM to run on the same server. The Premium Add On provides a license for an SBS version of W2K8-R2 that can be used to virtualize SBS 2011and provide a separate virtualized RDP Server.

Don't have any customers yet that have wanted to try this and I haven't had time to do a test install.

If anyone has a chance to confirm this actually works, it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob.

PS. Interesting how Susan's name got assigned to my post.

Monday, August 15, 2011 12:51 AM
  • FWIW I have been playing with this.  I have DPM on a standalone box.  It has to be a member of the Domain so I added it to the SBS 2011 standard domain.

Ass expected it was a bear to get sharepoint backed up.  But as a rule I have all green checks.  MY SBS is in a slow Hyper-V so I am having some issues with agent not available.

Have not tried yet, but actually DPM should just backup my Hyper-V box, but I have no clue if it would go crazy being a domain member of a VM client ?

I have actually joined my WSSE box to the SBS domain and have it "protected/attached" to the DPM server.  Though I have not made it to green checks there yet.

I am handicaped in that I know nothing about DPM <grin>  I "protected" the shares and excluded the backups, but it is still taking days to check consistancy

Stay tuned :)

Grey
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 5:50 PM
  • Thought I'd update the post.

We have successfully installed SBS 2011 as a VM on a Hyper-V Host Server which runs DPM 2010. The host is joined to the SBS domain. We have a backup domain controller running on a small atom server for redundancy and DR.

Everthing runs great - well except for typical Microsoft problems with DPM, Exchange, Office, etc.

Bob.

Sunday, February 19, 2012 1:49 PM
  • Hi,

Have you actually tried a BMR yet on that SBS 2011 Box?  We have DPM installed on a clients SBS 2011 Box with a local DPM mirrored to a second site.  The SBS 2011 Box can be restored to the mirror site into identical hardware and the server boots but AD, DNS and DFS refuses to work.....

Saturday, February 25, 2012 8:44 PM
  • Hi back,

I think we're talking about different configurations.

We are running a host machine under W2K8-R2 Enterprise which runs DPM. SBS2011 is running as a VM.

W2K8-R2 can be fully restored from DPM to a virgin machine but its a pain. We therefore have daily WSB backups to a partition on the storage pool drive. That works too.

SBS2011 can be fully restored as a VM from DPM without problems.

Sounds like you need to reset your network adaptors somehow after you transplant.

Bob.

Saturday, February 25, 2012 11:30 PM