APP-V sequenced application with an expiry date defined RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

Have any of you ever had to put an expiry date on a sequenced application? I need to put an expiry date on one of the applications for contractors who use their own notebooks. If any of these contractors decides to leave the company then the application must have a expiry date on it of say every 3 months. The solution can be for either streaming or full msi.

I read "Client Virtualization: Not a One-Size-Fits-All Approach" on http://idcdocserv.com/951 and there they mention that I can set expiry dates but I am unable to find anymore information on how to do this.

Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 1:00 PM

Answers

• Well there are some features built into App-V, but you have to be using the full infrastructure to use them.

First, on a per-application basis you can enable licensing in the provider pipeline.  You would want "strict mode".  Create one unrestricted license and apply that to all of your normal apps, then create a per-user license for this app.  The per-user license can have an expirey.  This will cause the app to stop working after that date.

Second, on a per client basis, you can enable limited disconnected operation mode in the client and set a limit of some given number of days.  Assuming you put the client on the contractors laptop, everything stops working X number of days after you cut them off from the RTSP server.

Neither of these answers are probably what you wanted since you mention config manager below.  If you want to try that option, be aware of two things.  One - the app must be originally published with the checkbox to remove the virtual app if the advertisement dissapears.  Two - a laptop that doesn't connect into SCCM will never see the expiration.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 1:35 PM

All replies

• Hello,

No, App-v doesn't offer any expire-date - that will have to be done by something outside of app-v.

/Znack

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 1:02 PM
  • Thank you for the quick reply. I will try to use Configuration Manager to expire the advertisement.
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 1:04 PM
  • Well there are some features built into App-V, but you have to be using the full infrastructure to use them.

First, on a per-application basis you can enable licensing in the provider pipeline.  You would want "strict mode".  Create one unrestricted license and apply that to all of your normal apps, then create a per-user license for this app.  The per-user license can have an expirey.  This will cause the app to stop working after that date.

Second, on a per client basis, you can enable limited disconnected operation mode in the client and set a limit of some given number of days.  Assuming you put the client on the contractors laptop, everything stops working X number of days after you cut them off from the RTSP server.

Neither of these answers are probably what you wanted since you mention config manager below.  If you want to try that option, be aware of two things.  One - the app must be originally published with the checkbox to remove the virtual app if the advertisement dissapears.  Two - a laptop that doesn't connect into SCCM will never see the expiration.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 1:35 PM
  • Does contracters have YOUR clients? Why simple not "remove" the app in your normal "uninstall" method?

I thought that this meant they were using unmanaged (from your perspective) clients.

/Znack
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 1:52 PM