Unable to change search provider RRS feed

• Question

• I am about to erase Internet Explorer forever as it is causing me more problems than helping me.

I don't like Yahoo as my Search Provider - I want to change it to Google .. is that so much to ask?

Searching the forums, I see it's easy - go into Manage add-ons, select service provider and download ...

Just as an aside - I only have one Search provider currently listed which is McAfee Secure Search, even though it still defaults to Y******.

So I download the Google search provider and it comes up with a box

"The Search provider could not be installed.

This might have happended because: 
                   - A required file could not be downloaded
                   - The webiste is unavailable
                   - You are not connected to the internet

You might want to try again later"

So let's skip the part where I may not be connected to the Internet ....

It is not just Google, it refuses to change to Bing, Ask Jeeves, Time and Date.

In the debug window - the Document Mode is set to Edge.  I can change it to 10 (Google) but it refuses to save the settings.

So I think that's the long and short of it.  Can my relationship with IE be saved or will I be destined to use Firefox for the next 20 years?

IE - 11.0.9600.17498 / Update 11.0.15
    WIN - 8.1

Friday, January 9, 2015 6:10 PM

Answers

• one Search provider currently listed which is McAfee Secure Search

Sounds like McAfee is being obstructive.  There is an option which allows a Search Provider not to be displaced via scripting but McAfee has the power to do more than that.  Try uninstalling McAfee to see if you can do what you want.  Alternatively, if you're lucky, e.g. if McAfee doesn't have its hooks in the OS so deeply that you can't temporarily bypass it, you could try booting in safe mode with networking, make your change then, and then see if it holds when you boot normally.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Marked as answer by Karen Hu Monday, January 19, 2015 2:44 AM
    Friday, January 9, 2015 7:26 PM
    Answerer
  • Hello Andy Hessey,

What is your current situation?
    Have you tried the suggestion as MVP Robert Aldwinckle mentioned?

Additionally, we could tried to reset Internet Explorer and check if the issue still exists.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHEN

Fangzhou CHEN
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 12, 2015 9:46 AM

All replies

• one Search provider currently listed which is McAfee Secure Search

Sounds like McAfee is being obstructive.  There is an option which allows a Search Provider not to be displaced via scripting but McAfee has the power to do more than that.  Try uninstalling McAfee to see if you can do what you want.  Alternatively, if you're lucky, e.g. if McAfee doesn't have its hooks in the OS so deeply that you can't temporarily bypass it, you could try booting in safe mode with networking, make your change then, and then see if it holds when you boot normally.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, January 9, 2015 7:26 PM
    Answerer
  • Hello Andy Hessey,

What is your current situation?
    Have you tried the suggestion as MVP Robert Aldwinckle mentioned?

Additionally, we could tried to reset Internet Explorer and check if the issue still exists.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHEN

Fangzhou CHEN
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 12, 2015 9:46 AM