dll registry in App-V platform RRS feed

• Question

• I have a dll for context menu of an application. at the time of installation, this dll registered and context menu created.My problem is in App-V platform, when sequencing this application, at the time of monitoring dll registered properly and work. But when I click on stop monitoring, the dll is unregistered automatically and context menu lost.

Is there any one assist me,please response to this post.

Friday, July 23, 2010 5:43 AM

Answers

All replies

• Proposed as answer by Miito Friday, July 23, 2010 6:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Monday, December 19, 2011 2:07 PM
    Friday, July 23, 2010 5:47 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you very much for prompt support.

I have seen your refered link. But I need a solution to implement context menu for my application to run in App-v platform.

Is there any way to implement context menu so that App-V can sequence it?

Do you have any idea on Virtatual Registry which offer Override Local key or Merge with Local key?

Would appreciate your suggestion.

br,

Hkabir

Friday, July 23, 2010 11:11 AM
  • There is currently no solution. As the blog post that Znack linked to says:

Microsoft Application Virtualization does not support applications that use shell extension handlers implemented with a custom dynamic-link library (DLL). The reason that APP-V cannot support applications with custom shell extensions is that this would require providing Windows Explorer access to the virtual environment. Shell extensions are sometimes referred to as Shell integration.
    Friday, July 23, 2010 11:22 AM
  • Hello,

If that is a requirement of the application, I would say its a bad candidate for virtualizing based on the information from the article I posted above.

If you wish to workaround it - there are probably several ways but I wouldn't recommend it and if you choose todo so any actions done to get the shell extension in place will have to happen natively on the client.

/Znack
    Friday, July 23, 2010 11:23 AM
  • thanks.

I can understand that shell extension is bad candidate for App-v. I dropped this plan to implement.

Can anyone please give me answer of following:

1.  I want to create a registry key at the time of sequencing(HCR\dllfile\shell\) and put some key value, how to do this?

2. How I can make impact of this registry key in App-V client after publishing?

My company is in crying need to implement this. Please response if any one know this.

br,

hkabir

Friday, July 23, 2010 11:59 AM
  • See REGISTRY, REGKEY, REGVALUE options for the OSD file listed here: http://www.tmurgent.com/OSD_Illustrated.aspx. See an example here under How to use the <REGISTRY> element from the SoftGrid Client http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931626.

Note that this method won't work for HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT unless the user is an administrator. So a better method might be to use Group Policy Preferences which can deploy registry settings.

Friday, July 23, 2010 12:39 PM
  • I am facing the problem to merge modified registry value in App-V client. For registry modification I can see Context Menu on a file like Winrar. Here is the steps I did:

1. I have an application to modify registry location HKLM\Software\CompanyName\ApplicationName.

2. Sequencing this application.

At the time of monitoring I have seen that, Registry location is modified in Sequencer PC.

Monitoring stop and publish this application in App-V server. I can not get the result for this Registry modification!!

Can anybody please assist me?

I have also tried with modifying OSD file with below code but no result found.

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Calibri; mso-font-alt:"Times New Roman"; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:"Lucida Sans Unicode"; panose-1:2 11 6 2 3 5 4 2 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-2147476737 14699 0 0 63 0;} @font-face {font-family:""; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; mso-hyphenate:none; font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:11.0pt; font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family:"Lucida Sans Unicode"; mso-bidi-font-family:""; mso-font-kerning:.5pt; mso-bidi-language:EN-US;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

<IMPLEMENTATION>

<CODEBASE … />

<VIRTUALENV>

<REGISTRY>

<REGKEY HIVE="HKLM" KEY="Software\CompanyName\ApplicationName">

<REGVALUE REGTYPE="REG_SZ" NAME="string">ExePath</REGVALUE>

<REGVALUE REGTYPE="REG_DWORD" NAME="dword">5051</REGVALUE>

<REGVALUE REGTYPE="REG_BINARY" NAME="hex">50,51,52</REGVALUE>

<REGVALUE REGTYPE="REG_SZ">"virtual path of exe"</REGVALUE>

</REGKEY>

</REGISTRY>

</VIRTUALENV>

</IMPLENENTATION>

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 12:05 PM
  • Hello Hkabir,

Since there seems to be some unclarity even though we posted the official statement regarding context menus;

http://blogs.technet.com/b/appv/archive/2009/12/07/app-v-and-support-for-applications-with-custom-shell-extensions.aspx

they are not supported and will only be available within the virtualized environment. Explorer (or the "shell") is not started within the virtualized environment. 

If you wish to look within the virtualized environment, there are many ways though, please see this blog-article;

http://blogs.technet.com/b/appv/archive/2008/09/25/app-v-new-command-line-for-running-cmd-prompts-inside-the-bubble.aspx

Any changes made within a virtualized application will not effect the underlaying operating system.

/Znack

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 12:27 PM
  • What you are attempting to do with App-V is not going to work - it cannot be done.
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 12:41 PM
  • thanks for update. I think we need to abandon this implementation.

But would you please let me know " What Virtual Registry do" in sequencing? why there are options for Merge with Local key and Override Local key?

Regards

HKabir

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 1:06 PM
  • Tuesday, July 27, 2010 1:10 PM