none
How does a task become "critical"? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm reviewing a project schedule prepared by a subcontractor and provided to me in MPP format.  I'm using Project 2010.  Quite a few of the tasks show up on the Gantt chart as "critical" (red).  The field "critical" is equal to "yes" for these tasks.  When I group by "Summary" to show all the non summary tasks together, and the filter to show only critical tasks (by critical=yes"), instead of seeing in the Gatt chart a clear path of criticality, I see a lot of "red" critical tasks with overlapping start and end dates.

This seems illogical to me.  How can unconnected tasks be critical, and how can there be overlapping start/end?  What am I missing?  (late on Friday afternoon before a long weekend.  maybe my brain is tired).

--rms www.rmschneider.com
    Friday, May 27, 2011 5:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Rob,

Constraints and deadlines can create Criticality in MS Project, not just links. Add to a atask a deadline at ofr before its scheduled end and it becomes critical. Same with FNLT constraint. A task with a Must constraint is always critical.

Hope his helps,

Friday, May 27, 2011 6:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Rob,

Constraints and deadlines can create Criticality in MS Project, not just links. Add to a atask a deadline at ofr before its scheduled end and it becomes critical. Same with FNLT constraint. A task with a Must constraint is always critical.

Hope his helps,

Friday, May 27, 2011 6:56 PM
  • Jan, thanks.

The old proverbial, I didn't give the whole picture.  Oops.

All these tasks in question are type=ASAP, most have both successors and predecessors, some one just a successor, or just a predecessor. There about 40 tasks showing up with overlapping start/end yet "critical". All but one are fixed units and effort driven, and one is fixed duration not effort driven.  None of the tasks have deadlines.

Friday, May 27, 2011 7:53 PM
  • OK Rob, let's try the next one. File menu, Options, Advanced, "Show Multiple Critical paths". Is that on?
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 9:52 AM
  • Thanks.

On further inspection, and bright-eyed spotting by a colleague, turns out that, unnoticed by me, most of the summary tasks not only had predecessor/successors defined, but also one had a constraint date defined.  Further, contributing to the erroneous critical tasks being displayed, a number of tasks had not successor and/or predecessors.  All of this will get in the way of a credible schedule.  

Saturday, May 28, 2011 7:35 PM