SCCM SP1 Prerequisite Checking errors RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I´m installing the just released SCCM 2012 SP1 CTP  on top of obviously an existing SCCM 2012 environment which consists of one CMS, two Primary Sites and two Secondary Sites. All the servers are running Windows Server 2008 R2 with SP1 and of course with the latest patches and security updates. There are also independent SQL Server instances for the CMS Site and for each Primary Site , these instances are based on SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2, with the latter service pack just installed.

So far everything has worked out properly, the prerequistes have been satisfied accordingly except for the Windows ADK Kit (aka Windows AIK) necessary for running Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 according what the documentation states. But when it goes to analyze the SQL Server prerequistes fails by saying the following:

"The SQL Server name specified is configured for SQL authentication security. It is recommended to configure the SQL Server to operate only in Windows authentication security before you continue Configuration Manager Setup."

"Configuration Manager requires SQL Server to reserve a minimum of 8 gigabytes (GB) of memory for the central administration site and primary site and a minimum of 4 gigabytes (GB) for the secondary site. This memory is reserved by using the Minimum server memory setting under Server Memory Options and is configured by using SQL Server Management Studio. For more information about how to set a fixed amount of memory, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=233759."

"The SQL Server installation must use a case-insensitive collation. For example, SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS."

So far nothing really though to accomplish , in fact these prerequisites have been met at the initial installation so shouldn´t pop up now, surely enough the weirdest part it´s that even though these prerequisites have been met entirely since the very beginning and nothing has changed, still goes on failing with the same 3 error messages, I wonder if it may be cached somehow, because even after rebooting every server it keeps saying the same.

Any idea what might be causing this issue??

Thanks in advance for your valuable help.

Best regards

Marcelo Estrada Molina MCP, MCTS, MCITP

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 4:26 PM

All replies

• The first two are just warnings about what's best to do, not what has to be done.

What collation is your SQL server in now?

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 5:39 PM
  • The memory warnings can be fixed in the SQL memory settings here:

1. Configuration Manager requires SQL Server to reserve a minimum of 8 gigabytes (GB) of memory in the buffer pool used by an instance of SQL Server for the central administration site and primary site and a minimum of 4 gigabytes (GB) for the secondary site. But i don't know if that's right, it makes the memory warnings disapear anyway..

2. Configuration Manager requires Windows authentication to validate connections to the database

3. And last the instance of SQL Server in use at each site must use the following collation: SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 5:48 PM
  • Hello again,

First of all thanks to both of you guys for your early response, however, and as I stated in my first post, the memory, security and collation remarks have been met since the beginning, which means that SQL Server it's been set with 8GB min, Windows Integrated Authentication only and  SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS as collation, but still getting the same warnings and errors, that's why I wonder if it might be cached somehow.

For sure these requirements have been properly addressed since the very beginning, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to install everything successfully in first place.

Any ideas of what might be causing this cached setup prerequisites checking?

Thanks again for your help.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 8:31 PM
  • For sure these requirements have been properly addressed since the very beginning, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to install everything successfully in first place.

Not true. As mentioned, the first two are just warnings based on things you should strongly consider and do not prevent the successful installation of ConfigMgr (RTM or SP1).

Not sure about the collation though as there are only a couple of supported collations.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 8:52 PM
  • Not sure about the collation though as there are only a couple of supported collations.

My point is that regardless of the warnings, which obviously don't prevent the installation, even having the right collation for some reason it's not taking it as valid for proceeding with the deployment.

On a side note and contrary to what you said, there're not a couple of supported collations, there's in fact only one: SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682077.aspx#BKMK_SupConfigSQLSrvReq

Thank you

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 9:10 PM
  • There are actually a couple of other supported collations -- they are for Chinese editions though.

Does the account you are running with have sys admin permissions on the SQL server?

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 9:39 PM
  • Yeap it does!, it's actually a domain account with local admin permissions at OS level and sys admin role permissions at SQL Server Level.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 9:44 PM
  • Have you reviewed the pre-req log file? Should be in the root of the C Drive).

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 9:54 PM
  • Yeah I have checked the logs but nothing seems to indicate that it fails, actually the last lines of the pre-req logs state the following :-S ...

<09-04-2012 23:57:23> ===== INFO: Prerequisite Type & Server: DP:INFPROSCCMCMS.USERSAD.EVERIS.INT =====
    <09-04-2012 23:57:23> <<<RuleCategory: Access Permissions>>>
    <09-04-2012 23:57:23> <<<CategoryDesc: Checking access permissions...>>>
    <09-04-2012 23:57:23> GetSiteMchineInstallUserAccount Site Machine:<INFPROSCCMCMS.USERSAD.EVERIS.INT>, sitecode<CTR>
    <09-04-2012 23:57:23> INFO: The Site Machine was setup by machine account.
    <09-04-2012 23:57:23> INFO: CheckLocalSys is Admin of <INFPROSCCMCMS.USERSAD.EVERIS.INT>.
    <09-04-2012 23:57:23> INFPROSCCMCMS.USERSAD.EVERIS.INT;    Administrative rights on management point and distribution point;    Passed
    <09-04-2012 23:57:23> <<<RuleCategory: System Requirements>>>
    <09-04-2012 23:57:23> <<<CategoryDesc: Checking system requirements for ConfigMgr...>>>
    <09-04-2012 23:57:23> INFO: Target computer is a Windows server.
    <09-04-2012 23:57:23> INFPROSCCMCMS.USERSAD.EVERIS.INT;    Unsupported site server operating system version for Setup;    Passed
    <09-04-2012 23:57:23> INFPROSCCMCMS.USERSAD.EVERIS.INT;    Domain membership;    Passed
    <09-04-2012 23:57:23> INFPROSCCMCMS.USERSAD.EVERIS.INT;    Pending system restart;    Passed
    <09-04-2012 23:57:23> <<<RuleCategory: Dependent Components>>>
    <09-04-2012 23:57:23> <<<CategoryDesc: Checking dependent components for ConfigMgr...>>>
    <09-04-2012 23:57:23> INFPROSCCMCMS.USERSAD.EVERIS.INT;    Microsoft XML Core Services 6.0 (MSXML60);    Passed
    <09-04-2012 23:57:23> INFPROSCCMCMS.USERSAD.EVERIS.INT;    IIS service running;    Passed
    <09-04-2012 23:57:23> INFPROSCCMCMS.USERSAD.EVERIS.INT;    IIS HTTPS Configuration;    Passed
    <09-04-2012 23:57:23> INFO:CheckSupportedFQDNFormat <INFPROSCCMCMS.USERSAD.EVERIS.INT>
    <09-04-2012 23:57:23> INFO: NetBIOS <INFPROSCCMCMS>
    <09-04-2012 23:57:23> INFO: FQDN <INFPROSCCMCMS.usersad.everis.int>
    <09-04-2012 23:57:23> INFPROSCCMCMS.USERSAD.EVERIS.INT;    Primary FQDN;    Passed
    <09-04-2012 23:57:23> <<<RuleCategory: Site Upgrade Requirements>>>
    <09-04-2012 23:57:23> <<<CategoryDesc: Checking if the target ConfigMgr site is ready to upgrade...>>>
    <09-04-2012 23:57:23> <<<RuleCategory: Database Upgrade Requirements>>>
    <09-04-2012 23:57:23> <<<CategoryDesc: Checking the target ConfigMgr database is ready to upgrade...>>>
    <09-04-2012 23:57:23> ***************************************************
    <09-04-2012 23:57:23> ******* Prerequisite checking is completed. *******
    <09-04-2012 23:57:23> ***************************************************
    <09-04-2012 23:57:23> INFO: Updating Prerequisite checking result into the registry
    <09-04-2012 23:57:23> INFO: Connecting to INFPROSCCMCMS.usersad.everis.int registry
    <09-04-2012 23:57:23> INFO: Setting registry values

Thanks again!

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 10:07 PM
  • Try running this command, you will need to change the user name and password at the very least.:

cd \program files\microsoft sql server\100\setup bootstrap\SQLServer2008R2
    setup /QUIET /ACTION=REBUILDDATABASE /INSTANCENAME=MSSQLServer /SQLCOLLATION=SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS=<username>\<password>

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 1:05 AM
  • Hello Johno,

I appreciate your help but I've already run this command before posting here, actually when I tried at first it said that it wasn't able to change the collation because it was already using that one, therefore I decided to not go on with this approach, but it might be worth trying again, I'll keep you posted with my findings. On the other hand and as mentioned earlier, I have the impression that it's caching these settings somehow, probably at register level or something.

Some other pointers, these errors occur every time  I try to deploy the SP1 over the CMS Site , but this morning I tried to deploy it over a Primary Site and it worked out as expected with no issues whatsoever, I'm afraid now though that by doing that something might affect the synchronization jobs based on inconsistency check between sites. Any clues folks? Someone from MSFT that would like to give us its input?

Thank you!

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 8:08 AM
  • At this point, you should move this questin to connect because it concerns a pre-release version of SP1 and may be a known issue or bug that needs to be researched by the product group.

BTW, I hope you are not doing this production as this is a pre-release/preview that is explicitly not for production use.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 2:06 PM
  • Hello again Jason,

Absolutely not, this deployment it´s intended for testing purposes only, the idea was to try it out in Dev first in order to later on roll it out to production as usual, after carefully assesing all the possible problems and errors of course, but as you mentioned, this issue clearly seems to be a bug. I guess I´ll have to wait till the final release it´s done. BTW, how can I post it to connect, is there any way to transfer this thread there?

Thanks again.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 2:20 PM
  • No, you'll have to create a new login and copy the content. There's no reason you can't include a link to this thread though.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 3:58 PM
  • We have the same problem over here. The prerequisite check comes back with false information just like Marcelo mentioned. Probably a bug?

Thursday, September 6, 2012 8:59 AM
  • SP1 CTP is prerelease software, so please make sure to file a feedback item on connect.microsfot.com so that Microsoft can have a look at it!

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Thursday, September 6, 2012 9:14 AM
  • I had the same collation error on SP1 RTM (Win2012 + SQL 2012)

"The SQL Server installation must use a case-insensitive collation. For example, SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS."

In the Log :

<01-16-2013 15:02:18> ERROR: Failed to get SQL Server connection to CAS hostname.domain (CM_CM1)
    <01-16-2013 15:02:18> INFO: Collation on <hostname.domain> <SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS>
    <01-16-2013 15:02:18> hostname.domain;    Parent/child database collation;    Error;    The collation of the site database does not match the collation of the parent site's database.  All sites in a hierarchy must use the same database collation.

I fixed it by opening proper SQL ports in Firewall on the CAS.

Hope it helps anyone.

Ben

• Edited by Prae1809 Wednesday, January 16, 2013 8:14 PM
    Wednesday, January 16, 2013 8:08 PM