none
PowerShell 2.0 - Windows Management Framework Core Setup Error (WindowsXP - KB968930-x86-ENG.exe)

Question

• Sorry for the mess!

There seem to be two issues here so far that I can ID.

1. WMF package won't install (completely?)

2. Windows Update failures from this past summer that I still haven't resolved and may be affecting 1.

3. Oh, and one more issue. The tutorial I am using to work with powershell suggests BITS 4.0 is necessary, but the MS DL page for the WMF doesn't list Windows XP DL links for  BITS 4.0!

Running Windows XP Home edition (SP3) (32-bit) on an old desktop.

I'm trying to install Powershell 2.0 on my system as I continue to self teach IT.

On installation attempt of this package, I received the following error dialog:

"an error in updating your system has occurred. Select "ok" to undo the changes that have been made."

The installer ran for a while, displaying the files being installed with a status bar, then exited and ran some sort of other program (uninstall?) ran - an update removal dialog which listed the tasks it was completing.

I have little experience in posting to forums and have looked over the forum FAQ, so I appreciate any direction to information on how to provide you with any info you need to help me such as posting complete log files. I don't see rules or procedures for uploading such files. ( I notice the "insert image" icon in toolbar above.)

--- Here's what I have:

- Log files (a few) related to the install attempt of the WMF Core. I attempted 2 installs with a restart between them, the package Downloaded from two separate sources. The log contains the above error at the end of the file. Of course, there is a lot of other information in these logs that I don't know how to interpret.

KB968930.log (Contents pasted at the end of this post to get things started. Ok I see there is a character limit so I am unable to post the full log file here. I'll post the error)

KB968930Uninst.log

- Events from the EVENT VIEWER as txt files (18 or so of them) (This past summer, I custom installed WINDOWS UPDATES - that I had been putting off - some of which failed. Some of them are .NET related and so I suspect them as a possible cause)

Note: Clearly, regardless, I need to sort out those install failures but I don't know if MS servers are still providing the updates (packages?) for XP or where else I may obtain them (various forums that archive XP files?) for MY system in case I need to re-download and install them. AND, I don't know how to help you help me by, say, providing a list of all installed updates on my system to compare to the ones that failed. Ok, I am able to bring up the Windows Update Dialog with a list of "available" updates that I checked with my notes on the ones from this past summer that failed.

Ok, I'll paste the list of failed updates I put together (I THINK THERE ARE MORE AS I RECHECKED UPDATES TODAY.):

NOTE: It's the summaries under some of these that concerns me, such as with,

Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 on Windows XP, Server 2003, Vista and Server 2008 x86 (KB2836940)

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

940 Size: 1.5 MB

Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information for this update can be found at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=299086

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2832411)

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2861189)

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 on Windows XP, Server 2003, Vista, Server 2008 x86 (KB2861697)

Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 on Windows XP, Server 2003, Vista and Server 2008 x86 (KB2836940)

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 on Windows XP, Server 2003, Vista, Server 2008 x86 (KB2736416)

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 on Windows XP, Server 2003, Vista, Server 2008 x86 (KB2840629)

- Btw, I know I have .NET installed not only as multiple versions from 2.0 to 3.5 appear in "Add/Remove Programs, " and it's folders and files in %Windows%.

Thanks!

Here's the log file:

"C:\WINDOWS\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.Management.dll"
    26.906:  Return Code = 11
    26.906: DoInstallation:RunInfProcesses for ProcessesToRun Failed
    26.906: Windows Management Framework Core Setup encountered an error:  An error in updating your system has occurred.
    26.984: An error in updating your system has occurred.

Select 'OK' to undo the changes that have been made.
    32.703: Message displayed to the user: An error in updating your system has occurred.

Select 'OK' to undo the changes that have been made.
    32.703: User Input: OK
    32.703: Starting process:  C:\WINDOWS\$968930Uinstall_KB968930$\spuninst\spuninst.exe /~ -u -z
    43.968: Software Update Rollback has completed successfully.  The original error message was:  0x0

Sunday, February 18, 2018 12:28 AM

Answers

• So, I decided to run the installer in Safe Mode and it worked! Have powershell running finally!

Thanks to all who viewed my post!

• Marked as answer by Jmitomega Wednesday, April 25, 2018 8:49 PM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2018 8:48 PM

All replies

• Update:

Original poster here!

I was able to install all the remaining Windows Updates. (mostly .NET security related) Long story short, I changed my update option in Security center (?) (control panel) and they updated successfully this time when I accidentally selected the shutdown icon.

So, I haven't tried to run the installer again since then, but am wondering if THE SCRIPTING GUY! blog has a forum or way of contacting them since I've been working from his/their tutorial, including the scripting wife. Maybe this post should even be moved or copied there if that is the case.

To reiterate, as far as I know, .Net is installed and running.

Maybe It would help to find separate installers, (for retail windows XP SP3 with OEM license) one for powershell, one for the WMF and one for BITS 4.0 if I even need that. AND a separate one for rollback or uninstall too!

Hope this additional info is helpful.

Again, have log files if anyone is interested, I just don't know how to upload them (link?) as there is clearly a character limit here.

Hope I'm not forgetting anything.

Thanks!

Jmitomega

Monday, February 26, 2018 10:30 PM
  • So, I decided to run the installer in Safe Mode and it worked! Have powershell running finally!

Thanks to all who viewed my post!

• Marked as answer by Jmitomega Wednesday, April 25, 2018 8:49 PM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2018 8:48 PM