Two node cluster operating system installation difference RRS feed

• Question

• Before we decided we wanted to go with clustering we were just going to run a single Windows 2008 Standard Hypter -V server. So we installed the OS and applied all hotfixes, configured for the new SAN, etc. We barely did anything with it before decided we should do clustering if we were going down the Hyper-V route. So we got Windows 2008 Enterprise and another server configured exactly the same as our first one. Both Dell 2900s. By the time the second server was in SP2 was out and we could download Windows 2008 Enterprise with it already applied. So for the new server I installed that directly. For the old server I just upgraded to Enterprise and installed SP2.

Now the servers are basically the same however little things are different. For instance the Cluster software updates will give warnings because it sees the hotfixes applied to the first server whereas none for the server that was installed with SP2. This is expected and I more of a nuisance than an issue I think.

Anyways I've pondered reinstalling the first server so it has Enterprise with SP2  installed from scratch instead of an upgrade but since we are waiting on R2 of Windows 2008 and that's out in October I'm wondering if it's just a waste of time. As when that comes out won't that almost in effect be a somewhat new OS and therefore some of the little differences between the servers no longer exist?

So just looking for some advice on whether the time to redo this server is worth it.
    Monday, June 22, 2009 7:39 PM

Answers

• Actually, when R2 comes out, you won't be able to do a rolling upgrade for a cluster...it's a "migraiton" for clusters similar to 2003 > 2008 cluster migration procedure. So honestly, if you can wait until "the holidays" for R2 to come out, it might be best to just wait until then to re-build your boxes.

Regards,
    John

• Marked as answer by Edwin vMierlo Thursday, July 2, 2009 11:02 AM
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 1:48 PM

All replies

• Grendels

they really shoud be the same I would suggest doing to Ent with SP2 to make sure you have a solid foundation.

will

William Bressette, Network Architect, Horn IT Solutions, http://wpjsplace.spaces.live.com/blog
    • Proposed as answer by WPJB Monday, June 22, 2009 8:15 PM
    Monday, June 22, 2009 8:05 PM
  • When R2 comes out will that be an upgrade like a SP? Or isn't that just like another operating system? lemme guess everyone will advise doing a clean install for that as well. If so it's almost like why bother now if I'm going to have to wipe it out again in October when R2 is out.
    Monday, June 22, 2009 8:13 PM
  • when R2 comes out you cna do a rolling upgrade but you would need a clean system in place befor hand hence why I am recomneding to do that now,

or just wait until r2 and fresh everything then.
    William Bressette, Network Architect, Horn IT Solutions, http://wpjsplace.spaces.live.com/blog
    • Proposed as answer by WPJB Monday, June 22, 2009 8:15 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Edwin vMierlo Thursday, July 2, 2009 11:02 AM
    Monday, June 22, 2009 8:15 PM
  • Actually, when R2 comes out, you won't be able to do a rolling upgrade for a cluster...it's a "migraiton" for clusters similar to 2003 > 2008 cluster migration procedure. So honestly, if you can wait until "the holidays" for R2 to come out, it might be best to just wait until then to re-build your boxes.

Regards,
    John

• Marked as answer by Edwin vMierlo Thursday, July 2, 2009 11:02 AM
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 1:48 PM
  • I rebuilt the one node doing a fresh Win2008 Ent SP2 preapplied just like the other node. Now they show up as the same in cluster verification. Have moved on to testing high availability and getting into VMs and all. Thanks for advice everything. When R2 comes out we'll be moving onto that so we can take advantage of live migration.
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 5:46 PM