How to Upgrade Service Manager 2012 SP1 with Windows 2008 R2 to SCSM 2012 R2 with Windows 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are using Service Manager 2012 SP1 UR2 with Windows 2008 R2.

I am planning to upgrade Service Manager to R2 with Windows 2012 R2. I found the steps to upgrade SCSM 2012 Sp1 to R2 but need assistance to upgrade with 2012 R2 OS.

Please suggest how to achieve the above mentioned objective.

Regards, Syed Fahad Ali

Thursday, June 19, 2014 9:28 AM

Answers

• true,

1. make sure that OS is met the minimum requirement for SCSM R2 (See above link)

2. make sure that the SQL Version is met the minimum for SCSM R2

3. make sure that you follow SCSM Disaster recovery plan

4. Upgrade SCSM to R2

5. upgrade OS

Antoine AL Ibry

Thursday, June 19, 2014 10:28 AM
  • Virtualization solves this problem handily, by allowing you to create a new server to run the new program on the same hardware. it also solves the related problem of moving off unsupported hardware without changing OS or application. VMware is my personal favorite, but Hyper-V, Xen, and VirtualBox all have similar capabilities.

Compare the cost of work and confidence in success of a upgrade, where any of thousands or millions of uncontrolled settings could cause an issue, to the cost of work and confidence in success of installing a new OS instance and configuring a known state for the new environment.

In short, upgrades should no longer be a thing. there are just too many ways they can go wrong, and it's far too easy to create a new OS with minimal expense and effort.

Thursday, June 19, 2014 4:23 PM

All replies

• Syed,

check the Minimum requirement for SP1 on the below link.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh519608.aspx

Regards

Antoine AL Ibry

Thursday, June 19, 2014 9:41 AM
  • Thank you for the response.

The provided link shows that Service Manager 2012 R2 supported Windows 2012 R2. But how could I setup / upgrade existing SCSM 2012 Sp1 with windows 2008 R2 to  SCSM 2012 R2 with Windows 2012 R2?

What steps should be taken? A new VM of Windows 2012 R2 will be installed then how could I move / transfer roles with existing configuration like views, email notification etc etc. Furthermore, we are using Provance Asset Management installed on existing Service Manager and Orchestrator is also installed with Service Manager Management server.

Regards, Syed Fahad Ali

Thursday, June 19, 2014 10:00 AM
  • Your plan is to move the SCSM into new machines? or upgrade the OS in-place?

Antoine AL Ibry

Thursday, June 19, 2014 10:03 AM
  • Can OS in-place upgrade? I want to upgrade but what is the best way?

Either I will go for OS and SCSM upgrade with existing machines or with new machines?

Regards, Syed Fahad Ali

Thursday, June 19, 2014 10:15 AM
  • SCSM R2 is supported on both windows 2008 R2 Sp1 and 2012 R2 http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn281935.aspx

so you may upgrade the SCSM to R2 and follow by upgrading the operating system. make sure that you have an SQL supported version as well.

Antoine AL Ibry

Thursday, June 19, 2014 10:21 AM
  • You meant that I can upgrade the OS and SCSM on same machines? 

Regards, Syed Fahad Ali

Thursday, June 19, 2014 10:24 AM
  • true,

1. make sure that OS is met the minimum requirement for SCSM R2 (See above link)

2. make sure that the SQL Version is met the minimum for SCSM R2

3. make sure that you follow SCSM Disaster recovery plan

4. Upgrade SCSM to R2

5. upgrade OS

Antoine AL Ibry

Thursday, June 19, 2014 10:28 AM
  • I would really recommend against this. Upgrades are hard to plan and execute, and even when executed perfectly, leave unpredictable configuration cruft on the system in question. conversely, a new clean management group server will have a cleaner and more predictable environment.

consider a similar post, and the same advice applies: if you can do anything else besides an in-place upgrade, do that instead.

Thursday, June 19, 2014 1:35 PM
  • Thomas,

upgrade should be a normal task in IT Environment, It's not cost effective to have new servers each time we plan to upgrade.

Regards

Antoine AL Ibry

Thursday, June 19, 2014 1:39 PM
  • Virtualization solves this problem handily, by allowing you to create a new server to run the new program on the same hardware. it also solves the related problem of moving off unsupported hardware without changing OS or application. VMware is my personal favorite, but Hyper-V, Xen, and VirtualBox all have similar capabilities.

Compare the cost of work and confidence in success of a upgrade, where any of thousands or millions of uncontrolled settings could cause an issue, to the cost of work and confidence in success of installing a new OS instance and configuring a known state for the new environment.

In short, upgrades should no longer be a thing. there are just too many ways they can go wrong, and it's far too easy to create a new OS with minimal expense and effort.

Thursday, June 19, 2014 4:23 PM