none
Windows 7 SP1 Upgrade - Stuck at Windows Desktop Update RRS feed

• Question

• Ok so I have a 4 year old laptop that had Windows 7 Ultimate on it. It is a Intel dual core computer with 4GB of RAM.

I left it over night to download and install the SP1 patch. I wake up this morning and sign in, it shows a black screen and in the upper left it has "Setting up personalized settings for: Windows Desktop Update"

I thought that this might take some time so I left for about an hour, now I am back and this screen is still there. I fear that it has broken itself and that it is broken. Is there a way to fix this issue?

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 7:11 PM

Answers

• Can you open Task Manager while in that "Setting up personalized settings" Window appears? (Shortcut for Task Manager: Shift + Ctrl + Esc)

Then, you can terminate some processes that stuck Windows from continuing its work.

"Everything we do is dictated by motive."
    • Marked as answer by Craighton Tuesday, March 1, 2011 10:20 PM
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 7:38 PM

All replies

• Can you open Task Manager while in that "Setting up personalized settings" Window appears? (Shortcut for Task Manager: Shift + Ctrl + Esc)

Then, you can terminate some processes that stuck Windows from continuing its work.

"Everything we do is dictated by motive."
    • Marked as answer by Craighton Tuesday, March 1, 2011 10:20 PM
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 7:38 PM
  • had the same problem here with windows 7 ultimate german version on a samsung laptop intel dual core 2ghz with 4gb ram and nvidia graphics.

i tried the sollution from BlueW_Ryan with Taskmanager, and it worked when i killed some prozesses of my antivirus software Fsecure internet security.

sorry for my bad english .

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 9:51 PM
  • Thanks all is working now.
    Craighton Miller | Microsoft Partner \http://logiclounge.com http://craighton.me
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 10:21 PM
  • During the Black screen, try using Ctrl Alt Delete
    Go to task manager
    check your CPU usage (mine was at zero when i did this)
    Go to processes
    and end both the
    processes that start with Reg (I apologize i cant fully remember the name of it)
    Make sure you do this by right clicking and ending the process tree

This is how i got past that screen, and my laptop seems to be working fine and its been a few days since
    • Proposed as answer by DanKor3 Wednesday, April 16, 2014 1:50 PM
    Saturday, June 25, 2011 7:41 PM
  • Thanks for your help everyone! This worked like a charm. I did not like being extorted by the Mocrosoft Tech when I called. One simple question and it was resolved here for free. Very easy! Peace!
    • Edited by DanKor3 Wednesday, April 16, 2014 1:50 PM
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 1:49 PM
  • During the Black screen, try using Ctrl Alt Delete
    Go to task manager
    check your CPU usage (mine was at zero when i did this)
    Go to processes
    and end both the
    processes that start with Reg (I apologize i cant fully remember the name of it)
    Make sure you do this by right clicking and ending the process tree

This is how i got past that screen, and my laptop seems to be working fine and its been a few days since

Yessss it works! Thank you so much!!!!!!
    Sunday, February 18, 2018 1:59 PM