Keyboard problems since 8.1 upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• The keyboard now frequently messes up.  When I try to type a letter, it performs some other random function. Every key stroke performs a function rather than typing the desired letter or number. Press enter and the window closes; press the space bar and the page minimizes, press d and something else happens.  The keys also frequently double type or don't type at all.  It's not consistent so I can't trace the problem to any one thing.  The only way to correct it is to do a restart.   I notice this has been brought up as a topic by others but not answered satisfactorily.  It does seem to be an 8.1 problem so it needs to be addressed properly.  Please advise how this can be fixed.

Another frequent problem is black strips appearing across web pages when I press a key.  It only disappears when I click in the scroll bar.

8.1 has proved to be a nightmare and if I could uninstall it easily I would.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 8:09 PM

Answers

• Since you said that your keyboard is integrated within your laptop you might want to try to connect a secondary USB keyboard and see if you still experience the same behavior.

From the sound of it there may be a physical hardware problem with your laptop's integrated keyboard. If you do not experience the same behavior with a USB keyboard then you will likely want to look at repairing your laptop's internal keybaord.

Keep me posted!

• Marked as answer by EMMmmmmmm Monday, December 23, 2013 8:20 AM
    Monday, December 16, 2013 8:53 PM

All replies

• Hi

You already try all this troubleshoot?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-vista/troubleshoot-keyboard-problems

If you have wireless keyboard, please make sure your batteries fine and try to re-sync again. Try your keyboard with another PC will help isolate HW issue

About black strips that you mention, may I know your PC specification, specially for your graphic card, I suggest you to update and you can check inside safe mode whether this issue still persist

• Edited by britishdhez Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:56 AM
    • Proposed as answer by britishdhez Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:56 AM
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 5:13 AM
  • Hi,

Firstly, I would like to suggest you to perform a Clean Boot to check whether this problem caused by 3rd program or service. Refer to the link below for more details.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Secondly, please try to uninstall Mouse and keyboard driver in Device Manager for test.

Thirdly, if problem persists, please try to create a new account for test.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:16 PM
  • Hi, Thanks for your response.  The troubleshoot keyboard problems doesn't address this particular problem.  The keyboard is the notebook's own built in one. 

I have updated the graphics drivers and so far no black strips - however, this problem doesn't always happen anyway, so I have to wait and see.

Today I've only had a couple of problems - mainly pressing "c" closes the browsing window (not minimize).

Will keep trying various things as suggested.

Thanks.

Kelebek Kedi

Friday, December 13, 2013 12:35 PM
  • Since you said that your keyboard is integrated within your laptop you might want to try to connect a secondary USB keyboard and see if you still experience the same behavior.

From the sound of it there may be a physical hardware problem with your laptop's integrated keyboard. If you do not experience the same behavior with a USB keyboard then you will likely want to look at repairing your laptop's internal keybaord.

Keep me posted!

• Marked as answer by EMMmmmmmm Monday, December 23, 2013 8:20 AM
    Monday, December 16, 2013 8:53 PM
  • Hi - Thanks everyone for your suggestions.  I've just moved house in the last few days so haven't had time to try all the suggestions.  However, the problem is much less now - black strips seem to have been fixed with the graphic driver update, and there are now only occasional problems with the keyboard.  I will, though, try using a usb keyboard to see if there is a problem but I will have to find the keyboard first in all the boxes!

Will get back on this when I've sorted the move.

Thanks again!

Kelebek Kedi

Friday, December 27, 2013 5:52 PM
  • Please see my new post as I have a similar problem which extends to graphics. I am typing this with a small usb keyboard I bought. Is it an AMD/Radeon machine?

Mike

Saturday, November 26, 2016 3:06 PM