VirtualPC - Screwed filetype connection RRS feed

• Question

• Dear forum,

I just managed to link a VHD file to notepad. This happens by accident - now I want it set to default again. I want to connect the filetype VHD with VirtualPC, but I can't find a way to do it. Because VirtualPC is not a stand-alone app I can't use the windows standard dialog to link a filetype to an app.

Can someone please help me getting this done?

Regards,
    Oliver
    Friday, May 22, 2009 7:01 AM

Answers

• .vhd files are not associated with any program by default. Hence even on a fresh install, if you double click a vhd , you will get a "Select a program" dialog.
    Thanks, Rashmi U.R
    • Marked as answer by Nitin.Garg Wednesday, June 24, 2009 7:10 AM
    Monday, June 15, 2009 9:17 AM

All replies

• Try this.

Open registry, type regedit in the elevated command prompt.

Navigate to:
    "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.vhd\OpenWithList" -under this, delete the string whose value=Notepad.exe (will of the form "somestring REG_SZ NOTEPAD.exe").

Then, Delete the key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.vhd\UserChoice".

Log off and log in again. This will disassociate .vhd files from notepad.exe and will also restore the icon for the files.

Thanks, Rashmi U.R
    • Edited by Rashmi U R Friday, May 22, 2009 9:25 AM
    • Proposed as answer by mark-wilsonEditor Tuesday, June 2, 2009 11:19 PM
    • Marked as answer by Nitin.Garg Wednesday, June 3, 2009 1:29 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Oliver Wirkus Friday, June 12, 2009 1:39 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Oliver Wirkus Friday, June 12, 2009 1:43 PM
    Friday, May 22, 2009 9:16 AM
  • I'm sorry, but this does not solve my problem.
    I managed to disassociate my VHD files from notepad, but now there is no association and VHD-files are schon with a little grey symbol. When clicking on it I'm asked for an application to use. But what app should I choose?

Friday, June 12, 2009 1:42 PM
  • .vhd files are not meant to be opened manually. One is not advised to do so. They are used by windows virtual PC to read and write into it when the vhd is attached to the vms.
    The above solution i proposed was to disassociate .vhd from notepad.exe.

The little grey symbol- are you sure its not an icon?

What is it you are intending to achieve by opening the vhd manually?
    Thanks, Rashmi U.R
    Friday, June 12, 2009 3:24 PM
  • Hi Rashmi,

thanks for your quick reply.

As I said before: I managed to disassociate VHD-files for notepad.exe.
    And yes - VHD-files now have a little grey icon that looks like an icon for an external harddrive.

But - when you install Windows 7 and the Virtual PC Beta on a new computer, there is an association from VHD-files to VirtualPC. I'm sure about that!
    What I want is to get back the original file association that has been there before I changed it to notepad.exe.
    And I'm sure that there was an association between VHD-files and VirtualPC - although you are right: I don't want to open any VHD-files directly.

Regards,
    Oliver
    Monday, June 15, 2009 7:01 AM
  • .vhd files are not associated with any program by default. Hence even on a fresh install, if you double click a vhd , you will get a "Select a program" dialog.
    Thanks, Rashmi U.R
    • Marked as answer by Nitin.Garg Wednesday, June 24, 2009 7:10 AM
    Monday, June 15, 2009 9:17 AM