InTune and activation of Windows 10 Enterprise RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

How do you guys automatically activate Windows 10 Enterprise? Inspired by "zero-touch" we are doing a test with Windows AutoPilot, but cannot find how to get past activation. 

If the user have a Windows 10 Pro - No problem - Edition upgrade policy automatically to Windows 10 Enterprise and is activated at the same time. 

But, most our users are already on Windows 10 Enterprise. When they enrolls their laptops, how can I add MAK and activate automatically? (Manually adding MAK key works of course.)

Thanks

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 1:02 PM

Answers

• Hi Tor,

Yes, this is how I solved it:

I downloaded a free non-VLSC Windows 10 PRO from Microsoft regular download site, not the Volume Licensing site that I regularly use. Created a USB-stick and installs all new computers with it. Scrapped Autopilot, did not work as we wanted. 

In Intune I made a policy that upgrades Pro to Enterprise edition and then our licence key worked.

This process works well for us, but it's of course not zero touch. We'll revise the process at some time.

Good luck!

/BL

• Marked as answer by B-Lag Friday, February 1, 2019 10:59 AM
    • Edited by B-Lag Friday, February 1, 2019 11:05 AM made my post understandable...
    Friday, February 1, 2019 10:59 AM

All replies

• Hello,

In my opinion, you can still try to use Edition upgrade profile to active the Windows 10 Enterprise.

Based on my understanding, this profile deploys the product keys to the Windows devices, and activate the Windows system. Even the source computer is running Windows 10 Enterprise, it should still be activated with the product keys from Intune.

Best regards,

Andy Liu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 26, 2017 2:33 AM
  • Hi Andy,

Thanks, but if the machine already has Enterprise edition (non-activated and no key typed) Edition Upgrade profile is not working. Works like a charm if its PRO edition. 

Also trying Windows 10 Subscription Activation (disabled Edition Upgrade policy of course) which is probably the best option anyway since we are planning to use 1709. I have a Windows 10 E3 SKU in place. It indeed upgrades the Pro to Enterprise and states the subscription as active, but does not activate it. See printscreen below. Probably no prodkey or it requires an already activated?

Regardless of which of the two approaches above I use, there is the same error: "We can't activate Windows on this device as we can't connect to your organization's activation server.... Error Code: 0x8007007B" 

Using the Windows 10 .iso 1709 from VLSC (which can install both Pro and Enterprise) and I get the same error message regardless if Edition Upgrade Profile or Windows 10 Subscription Activation is being used. 

Any suggestions on how to progress? 

Thanks

B

From TechNet Volume Activation Troubleshooting

0x8007007B
    • You might see this error if you entered a product key for the Enterprise edition of Windows to activate Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro. Try entering a product key that matches the edition of Windows on your device.
    • Or, you might see this error if you're trying to activate your work PC but aren't connected to your workplace's network. If you're connected to your work network and still see this error, you might need to change the network settings. Contact your organization's support person for more info. 
    • If your organization doesn't have a support person, you might need to enter your product key again

Thursday, October 26, 2017 8:47 AM
  • Hi B

Did you ever find a solution to this? I'm trying to find a solution to the same flow (Autopilot and light or zero touch deployment)

Kind regards from Denmark

Tor

Friday, February 1, 2019 8:04 AM
  • Hi Tor,

Yes, this is how I solved it:

I downloaded a free non-VLSC Windows 10 PRO from Microsoft regular download site, not the Volume Licensing site that I regularly use. Created a USB-stick and installs all new computers with it. Scrapped Autopilot, did not work as we wanted. 

In Intune I made a policy that upgrades Pro to Enterprise edition and then our licence key worked.

This process works well for us, but it's of course not zero touch. We'll revise the process at some time.

Good luck!

/BL

• Marked as answer by B-Lag Friday, February 1, 2019 10:59 AM
    • Edited by B-Lag Friday, February 1, 2019 11:05 AM made my post understandable...
    Friday, February 1, 2019 10:59 AM
  • Do I need to get and use serial key for Win10 enterprice from a re-seller or Microsoft, or can I use these in Intune? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/kmsclientkeys

MCSE Mobility 2018. Expert on SCCM, Windows 10, ALOVPN, MBAM.

Friday, January 31, 2020 7:50 PM