Vista home edition keeps freezing and restarting auto and force manual Help!! RRS feed

• Question

•  

I'm so fed up. I have bought a Hp compaq presario from Best Buy mid April that just passed. It came with Windows Vista Home Edition. Everything had been fine until June I kept getting a message of "boot media please select boot drive or enter boot media and press any key."I had a problem where it kept freezing and it would reboot automatically. Then it got to the point where it would freeze and I had to reboot by holding the power button on and waited until it shut down. Then I would wait a few seconds and pressed the power button back on. It would say windows had been shut down incorrectly. Then it gives you the option of safe modes and start windows normally. I had used the recovery discs that I got from hp. It froze during the part where I was registering it. Then after the force shutdown with the power button and restarting and it was completed the hardrive was damaged. Hp sent me a new one. I put it in. installed the recovery disc. Everything went fine. The computer stays on for maybe an hour or more I leave it on overnight and by the time I wake up it's back at the welcome screen where you need to enter your password. And if I'm using it stays on for awhile and it freezes up and I have to press the powerbutton to shut it down. I had used the recovery disc already almost 3x's still the same problem. I'm fustrated and I need this computer for important things. Somebody told me that they think that it's a driver problem and that it could be possible that the recovery disc and even the first time that Hp installed the vista and their programs the orginally was installed may have been corrupted(a driver) or missing. Can anyone help me!! What should I do. Is anyone famillar to why this is happening. At first I was thinking the hard drive since it went that was the problem but now it's just as I mentioned. Can someone help!! Thanks,

Chris

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 2:21 AM

All replies

• What's the model number?

Have you gone to the OEM's website to see if there is a BIOS update for the system?

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html?pageDisplay=drivers

In the for product: box, enter "Compaq Presario [your model number]" and click [>>], select Windows Vista and see if there's a BIOS update for the system.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 5:37 AM
  • RX896AA , COMPAQ PRESARIO DESKTOP PC SR5030NX

That's the model # and info. I think I might have downloaded the driver before and I think it made it worse in the beginning. It's only one driver right?

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 5:51 PM
  •  

I kept getting a message of "boot media please select boot drive or enter boot media and press any key."

>> I think if you press the ESC key during BIOS post, you will see this screen.

I had a problem where it kept freezing and it would reboot automatically.

Then it got to the point where it would freeze and I had to reboot by holding the power button on and waited until it shut down. Then I would wait a few seconds and pressed the power button back on. It would say windows had been shut down incorrectly. Then it gives you the option of safe modes and start windows normally.

>> From the OEM’s website, this looks to be an Intel platform.

1.      Update to the latest OEM BIOS

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2093&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3377253&lang=en

2.      There is a Windows Update patch for the Intel Microcode that may resolve some of the hangs you’re seeing. Also make sure you've run the OEM's sw/hw update utility once a week.

Also, if you purchased Anti-Spyware software, you may want to update to the latest version in addition to updating the spyware definitions.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 10:34 PM
  •  

Thanks Pc test it worked but I'm still having problems the computer was on since after 9 tonight and has froze in the middle of doing something around 1230 am. I did not update the virus def as of yet. I will let you know if that stops it.
    Monday, July 30, 2007 4:39 AM
  • Remember that if the system ever BSODs, hangs, crashes, black screens, etc, where you see the message "The system has recovered from a serious error", always opt to send the crash information. The more you send the more visibility hardware vendors, OEMs and Microsoft have in the field.

Monday, July 30, 2007 6:16 PM
  •  

I have no virus software installed. I'm still having the same problem.
    Saturday, August 4, 2007 12:49 AM
  • 1. Do you always leave your system connected via the LAN? Does the issue occur when you do not connect your LAN cable?

2. You can also try the latest graphics driver from Intel to see if it makes a difference.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=N&Inst=Yes&ProductID=2102&DwnldID=13550&strOSs=164&OSFullName=Windows Vista* 32&lang=eng

Saturday, August 4, 2007 1:41 AM
  •  

It's always connected to the LAN. The intel graphics driver is for language?
    Saturday, August 4, 2007 5:27 AM
  •  

Find out what LAN driver you have.

If you have the Intel LAN, the link there is to download the latest Intel LAN driver.

ENG = English.

Vista supports many other languages. Driver Vendors create driver packages for English and Multiple Languages, e.g. Spanish, French etc.

Saturday, August 4, 2007 5:06 PM
  • Pc Tester I don't have 32 bit or 64 bit version. I have Version 6.0.6000 Build 6000 Vista Home Basic. Which one do I select. As for LAN DRIVER. Under display driver it says Intel® 82945G Express Chipset

Saturday, August 4, 2007 10:44 PM
  • You most likely have the 32-bit version of the OS.

Your LAN driver is your network card driver not your display (graphics) driver. It is located under Network adapters.

Intel 92945G Express Chipset is your display driver.

Monday, August 6, 2007 3:49 AM
  • under local area connections LAN network Realtek RTL8101? Is that it?

Monday, August 6, 2007 2:34 PM
  • See if this Realtek LAN driver update helps

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=6&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

ftp://210.51.181.211/cn/nic/Install_6105_0720.zip

BTW, did you already try getting the latest Intel Graphics Driver Update Installed?

Tuesday, August 7, 2007 1:51 AM
  • Hey Pc Tester,

Sorry I haven't been on to let you know about what's going on with this computer. My mom passed away and her funeral was yesterday.

Here is the situation with my computer. I installed all of the stuff with the intel graphics and everything. It's still freezing and I have force it to shut down with the power button. I'm ready to scream. I'm on the computer now typing this post seeing how long it will stay on. After I updated the intel chipset everytime I turn on the computer when the desktop comes up a security message comes up with run or cancel with the intel files. I click run for each of the 3 files to run. Plus my icons are in a square position on the desk top and down go to the bottom just towards the top, when I right click sort by.. then it goes normal as it did. What else could be causing the problem of freezing and restarting?

Thursday, August 23, 2007 9:09 AM
  • It looks like the graphics driver failed to install or failed to install correctly. Try going to Device Manager and Uninstall the Intel Graphics driver and opt to check off the box [ ] Delete the driver software from my computer.

Allow the OS to redetect the graphics driver and install the best one it can find. You may need to revisit Windows Update again to allow it to try to reinstall the graphics driver.

Thursday, August 23, 2007 5:40 PM
  • Okay I did everything the OS reconized new intel everything. It gave me **Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Controller 0 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) I'm still having the same problem ( freezing i.e)

Now my screen and icons is really big. Another problem windows update has 2 important updates

1) Intel Corporation - Video - Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family

(Which is what I had before and I had uninstalled it)

2) Optional...Realtek - Networking - Realtek RTL8101E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)

Once I had installed these 2 updates from windows the screen goes back to normal size. But the same problem of freezing and restarting on it's own or I have to manually hold the button down and wait till it just shuts off.  Also after this had happened windows repair in black screen used system restore repair auto and it set it back after when the Intel was unistalled and the OS automatically detected and installed ** the Intel chipset controller 0 as I wrote in the beginning with the icons and everything big and with windows update beckoning me to install those 2 important updates again. This where I'am at now What is really going with this computer?

Friday, August 24, 2007 7:10 PM
  • I see what you're seeing now. What you're seeing is a looping of a graphics crash. Currently, I don't believe the OS has anything in place to detect this looping is occuring.

Temporarily, can you work around the looping graphics crash issue by Pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del to launch Task manager and then end the ig?????.exe process? (I think that's what it was that worked around the issue - I'll check)

BTW, what are you doing to trigger to looping crash?

Friday, August 24, 2007 11:28 PM
  •  

Okay I had an hp update with the driver intel I don't remember what it said. I was able to change the icons back to small with the moniter graphics to 1000x whatever it was. It's okay ...for now lol. I really didn't do anything that would cause it to keep crashing. Now I did crtl alt del and I've seen in the process igfxpers.exe and igfxsrvc.exe. Is that what you were talking about?
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 12:03 AM
  • Yes, but I still need confirmation from someone I know to see if that was his workaround. Will let you know soon Smile

Saturday, August 25, 2007 5:36 AM
  • okay thanks. BTW I had my computer on all night and day. Thank God so far it hasn't crashed or restarted for now lol.

Sunday, August 26, 2007 6:34 AM
  • Hey Pc. Tester

As I dreaded it restarted on it's own. This morning. I tried the ctrl alt delete to cancel the process the ig process one ended but on keeps coming up after I cancel. I guess that cant be cancelled. But still it restarted on me in the middle of doing something.

Monday, August 27, 2007 2:50 PM
  • Hi Chris07, I was told that to stop the looping, open Task Manager and terminate the application that's running at the time that is crashing the graphics driver, e.g. MCE (ehshell.exe), your dvd player program (wmplayer.exe), screensaver, etc.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 8:21 PM
  • Pc Tester,

Honestly, the only thing that I have on even not when using ie. But I also wanted to mention at times when the freezing and restarting auto or manual. Sometimes the computer takes awhile to start to get the sign on screen. I sometimes have to press control alt and delete to restart until it works faster. I was posting this message again cuz the computer restarted. I don't what the hell is going on. Many people told me that vista os is horrible still many bugs and I think me personally has this. I'm very fustrated I'm thinking of ...I don't know what do to.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 12:59 AM
  •  

I did the recovery disc again. It's still restarting. I cant take this anymore. I don't know what to do.
    Wednesday, September 5, 2007 11:05 PM
  •  

You're in luck!

Intel just released their latest graphics driver. Download and install it ASAP.

You will need to go to Windows Update and offer TO HIDE (right mouse click the update -> Hide) the "Recommended" Intel Graphics Driver update available on WU (published 7/07 or so) so it doesn't get pushed down to your system. (the one on WU will be older than the one you download from Intel for this instance).

Multi language: winvista_156.exe Download
    Ver:15.6 Date:9/2/2007 Size:16265 (KB) Time @56Kbps:37.65 min
    OS:Windows Vista*, Windows Vista* 32, Windows Vista* Business, 32-bit version, Windows Vista* Enterprise, 32-bit version, Windows Vista* Home Basic, 32-bit version, Windows Vista* Home Premium, 32-bit version, Windows Vista* Starter, 32-bit version, Windows Vista* Ultimate, 32-bit version

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=N&ProductID=2102&DwnldID=14344&strOSs=156&OSFullName=Windows%20Vista*%20Ultimate,%2032-bit%20version&lang=eng

Thursday, September 6, 2007 4:11 PM
  •  

When I extract it. It says it doesn't not apply to this computer contact your manufactor. I doubt that's the problem.
    Saturday, September 8, 2007 6:30 AM
  • That's weird, I didn't expect a driver from Intel to invoke driver ranking (2 Part vs 4 Part) when installing drivers from the install package. Something's weird. You can always wait for the one from your system manufacturer. They're usually released 2-3 weeks after the vendor's generic version is released.

Sunday, September 9, 2007 1:25 AM
  • You know what I believe, honestly, I think these computer companies do something to mess up peoples computers. By missing a component on the recovery discs. When I bought my sony viao 8 years ago. I had millenium me. I had a similiar problem that i'm having. After Installed windows xp from a disc my computer was fine no problems. I don't have the money to pay for a new operating system. Right now I'm dealing with this.

Monday, September 10, 2007 1:52 AM
  •  Chris07 wrote:

When I extract it. It says it doesn't not apply to this computer contact your manufactor. I doubt that's the problem.

I had the same problem when i used the EXE package. It took a look at the ZIP package that's also available as a download from Intel's website and used these instructions to install the driver the manual way.  

Link: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=N&ProductID=2102&DwnldID=14353&strOSs=153&OSFullName=Windows%20Vista*%20Home%20Premium,%2032-bit%20version&lang=eng

Manual install method from the installation readme file:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To install from a Web download, you will download either a ZIP file or an EXE
    file from the Web.

a. If it is an EXE file, double-click the file you downloaded and specify a
       location into which the  driver files will be extracted. Click "Unzip" and         
       the files will extract. Click "OK" on the next window, then click "Close".

b. If it is a ZIP file, you must unzip it using a utility such as WinZip* or  
       PKZip*.

MANUAL INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
    --------------------------------------------

* Microsoft Windows Vista* "HAVE-DISK"Installation Instructions
    1. Click "Start" then right click on "Computer" button and then choose Manage.
    2. Permit the User Account Control to run by selecting
    the "continue" button. When the Computer Management window opens select the
    "device manager" icon.
    (NOTE: IF UPDATING DRIVER GO TO STEP 3B)
    3a. Double click "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)". (Go To STEP 4)
    3b. Select "Display adapters" then Double click on the graphics controller
    shown.
    4. Click on "driver" tab and select "Update Driver".
    5. Select the following option: "Browse my computer for driver software".
    6. Select the following option: "Let me pick from a list of device drivers
    on my computer".

7. Click on the "Have Disk..." button and then the "Browse"
    button.
    8. Enter the directory where you unzipped the file you downloaded,
    and then enter the "Graphics" subdirectory. Locate and highlight the
    "igdlh.INF" (if 32-bit) or "igdlh64.INF" (if 64-bit).
    Click on the "Open" button.
    9. Click on the "OK" button. A window listing all of the
    available display types should open. Select the display
    adapter that your system contains and then click on the
    "Next" button.
    10. Click on the "Next" button. The operating system will install the driver.
    Click on the "Finish" button when done.
    11. Click on the "Close" button and then click on the "Yes"
    button to reboot. The driver should now be loaded.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully that helps.

Thursday, September 27, 2007 1:22 AM
  • Chris07, have you checked Windows Update lately to see if your system manufacturer posted a driver update?

Friday, October 5, 2007 5:23 AM
  • I have been having the same/similar problem with my HP media center PC m7160n running XP Media Center Edition for the last couple months - while on-line reading emails on AOL, for example, system hangs, have to use power key to turn off then restart...get error message that the video acceleration video driver is the problem from MS error reporting, suggesting that I update to the latest driver...ha, well, the latest driver from Intel (I have the 82945 chipset embedded graphics) gives me an error that it has not been "approved" by the computer manufacturer and exits...a manual install work-around results in Windows NOT installing the driver after rebooting...

I have been on numerous chats with HP Tech Support about this and tried everything they suggested...

The other solution that MS suggests in it's message is to turn off graphics acceleration (right-click on the desktop area, settings, troubleshoot, then adjust the slider to turn off acceleration)...which may work but it makes the display not as nice without acceleration.

I noticed this hanging problem begin this summer...mostly when on "AOL 9.0 VR" but I think it has happened with IE also...or Firefox...

One other wrinkle...recently my Norton Internet Security 2007 program began acting funny too...the "Auto-Protect" turns itself off and then you have to go through a whole series of steps to get it to turn back on...I think the video driver/Windows hang is related to the Norton Internet Security 2007 Auto-Protect and AOL mail reading, because they all seem to screw up at the same time, but nobody at any of those companies has a fix yet...except the MS suggestion to turn off video acceleration...

One of the HP support techs also suggested turning off the acceleration, or getting a PCI video card!  Thanks a lot, HP!

Technical info on my video when the problem began:

Video Card  -  -   Model:  Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family 
     Memory:  n/a 
     Driver:  c:\windows\system32\drivers\ialmnt5.sys 
     Version:  6.14.10.4421 

I reverted back to the original driver that came with the system using the help & support center driver recovery utility, back to version 6.14.10.4299, but still had the hang the other day anyway.

HP stonewalls when I ask them why don't they "approve" the newest Intel video driver...even though their tech support directs me to it, and it won't install properly...even with the manual "work-around" Intel/HP/MS suggest.

I have backed up all my data to external hard drives because I know all these power downs are going to eventually ruin my hard drive...had that happen a few years ago with Win98 when, in an update of Win98, MicroSoft decided to include automatic updating with the default to check everyday much to my surprise, and ZoneAlarm decided to cause my system to reboot suddenly every time auto-update started!  Of course, after rebooting, auto-update would try again, and ZoneAlarm would reboot again...happened to a lot of users of ZoneAlarm and they were all telling their hooror stories on blogs...it was too late for me by the time I figured out what had happened, my hard drive was hopelessly dead - luckily I was able to recover the data on there, and transfer it to a new drive...some folks weren't so lucky.

Anyway, see what video you have installed using the device manager, if it's an Intel-based video card or integrated video, then check the Intel web site...when I was at the Intel website, there were a lot of problems with Vista when I searched for system hangs...

And keep nagging the computer manufacturer.  Maybe they'll pay attention eventually...as a last resort, you could always go to get your money back from them...if it hasn't been too long it should be easy...if it's been a while, try anyway, threaten to go to consumer affairs in your state, or to a lawyer...in my case the PC is over 2 years old and for a PC that's ancient I guess.

Chris

Friday, November 9, 2007 8:24 PM