Office 2010 - How to remove default templates ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

in our environment we have a slightly customised Word 2010 ribbon with a "Open form templates" button - which opens up the Word templates window. At the moment, this window shows all the default templates in addition to our custom template contents. We basically none of the default templates to show up - as that means that in order to access our templates - users need to click on the "more" button at the end.

So, we would like to complete remove the tabs such as "resumes, faxes, Letters, other documents" etc....

In previous versions, you simply un-installed these templates, but unfortunately in 2010, this does not appear to be an option.

I have tried going to the manage add-ins section and selecting templates, removeing the files etc - but cannot work out how to remove these annoyances.

Cany anyone offer assistance?

Thursday, June 3, 2010 3:20 AM

Answers

• Ben_22

If you visit the WordMVP Site you may find "Registry Tweaks 2007" page 4 of 6 useful. But you would have to create a script to run a registry edit for your users. I assume if it works in 2007 it will work in Office 14 (2010).

Janine
    "Ben_22" <a2aa3ec8-d39e-439f-b384-def8999b7f4d@communitybridge.example.net> wrote in message news:f085a84e-b966-47cc-8c5d-bfeb414ca8a0@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    I think i'll try and find some other avenue for assistance.

janine@ribbonspace.com www.ribbonspace.com Documents and Ribbons. Simple Automaton
    • Marked as answer by Ben_22 Wednesday, June 9, 2010 11:33 PM
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 4:55 AM

All replies

• Add the "New Document or Template" item from the Commands Not in Ribbon group to your Customized Ribbon. When that button is used, the File New dialog from earlier versions is shown with the General tab as the active tab and it will display the templates that are located in the top level of the User and Work Group Templates folders.

--
    Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
    services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP, Posted via the NNTP Bridge
    "Ben_22" wrote in message news:1bd82229-8fee-4350-bf48-0b11273a9530@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    Hi all,

in our environment we have a slightly customised Word 2010 ribbon with a "Open form templates" button - which opens up the Word templates window. At the moment, this window shows all the default templates in addition to our custom template contents. We basically none of the default templates to show up - as that means that in order to access our templates - users need to click on the "more" button at the end.

So, we would like to complete remove the tabs such as "resumes, faxes, Letters, other documents" etc....

In previous versions, you simply un-installed these templates, but unfortunately in 2010, this does not appear to be an option.

I have tried going to the manage add-ins section and selecting templates, removeing the files etc - but cannot work out how to remove these annoyances.

Cany anyone offer assistance?

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 7:48 AM
  • while i thank you for your reply doug - im not sure how that addresses my question....
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 8:28 AM
  • Did you try it?

--
    Hope this helps.

while i thank you for your reply doug - im not sure how that addresses my question....

Thursday, June 3, 2010 9:33 AM
  • Thats quite insulting Doug.

Adding the button as suggested creates another button on the ribbon which performs the same function as the existing button - opening the "templates view" - which fair enough is a legacy template view - however its still the one our dev's want to use (and the view our users are familar with)

Within that view remains all the template catagories - including all the default ones we dont want to show up or be available to users.

Thursday, June 3, 2010 12:24 PM
  • It was not at all clear what was being displayed by your original button and while all of the tabs do still appear in that dialog, the General tab is the default tab and it shows the templates from the User and Workgroups template folders.

In that "legacy template" dialog, there is no More button so in my mind at least, there was some doubt about whether you had even tried it and I fail to see how you could take my question as an insult.

--
    Hope this helps.

Thats quite insulting Doug.

Adding the button as suggested creates another button on the ribbon which performs the same function as the existing button - opening the "templates view" - which fair enough is a legacy template view - however its still the one our dev's want to use (and the view our users are familar with)

Within that view remains all the template catagories - including all the default ones we dont want to show up or be available to users.

Friday, June 4, 2010 1:43 AM
  • I think i'll try and find some other avenue for assistance.
    Friday, June 4, 2010 2:35 AM
  • Dear Ben,

By default, the templates are located in this folder: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates\1033. In the previous versions of Office, we can uninstall the Wizard and Templates from the control panel > Add/Remove Programs. However, in Office 2010, we are unable to remove the feature currently.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Monday, June 7, 2010 1:48 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Ben_22 Wednesday, June 9, 2010 11:30 PM
    Friday, June 4, 2010 4:45 AM
  • Ben_22

If you visit the WordMVP Site you may find "Registry Tweaks 2007" page 4 of 6 useful. But you would have to create a script to run a registry edit for your users. I assume if it works in 2007 it will work in Office 14 (2010).

Janine
    "Ben_22" <a2aa3ec8-d39e-439f-b384-def8999b7f4d@communitybridge.example.net> wrote in message news:f085a84e-b966-47cc-8c5d-bfeb414ca8a0@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

janine@ribbonspace.com www.ribbonspace.com Documents and Ribbons. Simple Automaton
    • Marked as answer by Ben_22 Wednesday, June 9, 2010 11:33 PM
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 4:55 AM
  • Ben_22

If you customise your Ribbon you can access your templates (paths/directories/word files) with a couple of limitations that should not bother you.

I recommend you look at RibbonX by Ken Puls (and coauthors) for further information.

Janine
    "ribbonspace" <janine@ribbonspace.com> wrote in message news:bf780c76-b5f9-4f0b-bba3-26f72191a3b4@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    Ben_22

Janine

------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 5:09 AM
  • Hi Janine,

Thanks for actually reading my question and thanks for your link.... i had previously been trying to achieve this by deleting reg keys under HKLM (one of the many things i tried) - however, as your link pointed out, its a different set of keys that need to be deleted - and its done the trick - thanks alot for your help!

FYI - the direct link incase others stumble upon this question - http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customization/registry2007.html - and yes, the same method works for Office 2010.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 11:33 PM
  • Most welcome.
    "Ben_22" <a2aa3ec8-d39e-439f-b384-def8999b7f4d@communitybridge.example.net> wrote in message news:25d3249e-9fdf-4eff-9337-144f6e06146d@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    Hi Janine,

Thanks for actually reading my question and thanks for your link.... i had previously been trying to achieve this by deleting reg keys under HKLM (one of the many things i tried) - however, as your link pointed out, its a different set of keys that need to be deleted - and its done the trick - thanks alot for your help!

FYI - the direct link incase others stumble upon this question - http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customization/registry2007.html - and yes, the same method works for Office 2010.

janine@ribbonspace.com www.ribbonspace.com Documents and Ribbons. Simple Automation.
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 11:36 PM