none
How to Install Windows7 on Second HD or Alongside Vista on Original HD ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

My current Desktop Spec's :

HP Compaq Presario Model #SR5280AN.

Ram is 4gb (4x1gb sticks DDR2).

Operating System OEM Vista Ultimate with SP 2. x 32bit

Hard Drive 500gb SCSi.

AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual-Core Processor 5600+.

NVIDIA Geforce 8500GT 3D.

1 DVD-RW burner & 1 DVD-Rom player.

If it's not too much trouble, I am undecided which way to Install Windows7 so would appreciate any idea's or suggestion's regarding three alternatives below.

A.   I currently run OEM Vista Ultimate SP2 on original 500gb HD.What would be involved Installing Windows7 Retail version Alongside Vista.

B.   Alternatively install a second HD (Same brand, size 640gb) leaving Vista untouched on the 500gb drive & new install of Windows7 on the blank 640gb HD.

C.   Third alternative is to transfer Vista Ultimate and all drives, folders etc off the original 500gb drive (completely remove the drive from PC) onto the 640gb drive   

and install the new Windows7 operating system alongside Vista Ultimate.

Sounds a bit confusing , and it is !

I have been mucking around with computers for awhile now but would classify myself as still being a novice so any Help or Suggestion's would be much appreciated.

Cheers from down-under,

Dennis.  (351shaker)

Saturday, May 22, 2010 12:33 PM

Answers

• Thanks again pvdg42, Rick Dee and Arthur_Li,

Hi pvdg42,

Still checking out imaging utilities, the Acronis Disk Director you use looked at 'cnet site' and found fairly mixed replies. Then went to the updated Acronis True Image & EasyBcd 2.0 Beta and similar reports ! Very confusing.

Hi Arthur-Li,

Checked out the Windows site but would like to use the 640gb hdd but havent safely worked out how to 1. transfer all from the existing original 500gb hdd onto the new drive without any loss. 2.  then install windows7 on seperate partition (dont think that installation will be a problem ).

Thanks again Fella's. 

Monday, May 24, 2010 9:42 AM

All replies

• If your goal is to end up with a dual boot system, where you can choose your OS when the system starts up, your option B is not a good choice. You'll end up with two OS installations that don't know about each other. Choosing your OS will involve plugging one drive in and unplugging the other. There may be a way to fix the situation post-install, but I'm not aware of it.

Your option A will require that a second partition be created on the current drive. Whether you can do that easily depends on how much free space you have and how fragmented it is. Vista includes a disk management utility that *may* allow you to reduce the size of your current partition and create a second partition in the free space. You may have to use a third party tool if Vista's utility won't do it. My personal favorite is Acronis Disk Director, but it's not free. There are free tools, some listed here:

http://lifehacker.com/5126781/how-to-dual-boot-windows-7-with-xp-or-vista

Your option C requires that you create an image of your current partition, then install the image on the new drive. There are Microsoft and third party utilities for partition imaging. Then, create a second partition as in A for Windows 7.

http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/backupandimage.shtml

I'm sure you'll get additional responses :-)

Saturday, May 22, 2010 2:29 PM
  • You can defintely dual boot Vista & Win 7.  Microsoft offers suggestions and various senarios for this.

Go to www. microsoft.com and search for:  dual boot Vista and Windows 7

You can also searhc the internet for the same phrase and find other articles on dual booting.

Saturday, May 22, 2010 2:47 PM
  • Thanks fella's (pvdg42 & Rick Dee) for your suggestions.

Hi pvdg42,

Regarding your suggestion to option 'A', I do have around 217gb spare on 'C' drive, 73.4gb on 'E' drive & 34gb on empty 'F' (Spare Drive), so space shouldn't be a problem.

My proposal : go to Computer Management> Disk Management> repartition 'C' drive transfering say 120-150gb to Spare Drive 'F' (total 154-184gb for Windows7) . I do a refrag using Diskeeper 2009 & TuneUp Utilities 2009 DAILY so that shouldn't be a problem. At the moment I'm tempted to remove the 500gb HD, install the new 640gb HD format it and create an Image of original 500gb contents (I'm not conversant at all with 'Imaging' action) and dual boot.

What is your opinion and suggestions re-above ?

Cheers, Dennis.

Sunday, May 23, 2010 3:09 AM
  • If Windows disk management will do it for you, great. If it says it cannot, you'l have to use a third party partition tool. I've run into several situations where Disk Management said It could not change partitions the way I wanted to. That's why I purchased Acronis Disk Director.

As far as moving your current installation to the 640 gig drive is concerned, you'll have to choose a tool and learn it. The up side is that if it/you fail for some reason, you still have the original. To clone the existing partition, you'll need both drives hooked up. I don't use imaging utilities, so you'll need to research on your own.

Once you have your existing OS the way you want it, and have the new, empty, partition created, it's time to install Win 7 on the new partition.

Sunday, May 23, 2010 11:38 PM
  • Hi,

I think create a dual boot Windows 7 and Windows Vista system is a good idea.

For the detailed steps of how to install more than one operating system (multiboot), please refer to the following link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Install-more-than-one-operating-system-multiboot

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, May 24, 2010 6:27 AM
  • Thanks again pvdg42, Rick Dee and Arthur_Li,

Hi pvdg42,

Still checking out imaging utilities, the Acronis Disk Director you use looked at 'cnet site' and found fairly mixed replies. Then went to the updated Acronis True Image & EasyBcd 2.0 Beta and similar reports ! Very confusing.

Hi Arthur-Li,

Checked out the Windows site but would like to use the 640gb hdd but havent safely worked out how to 1. transfer all from the existing original 500gb hdd onto the new drive without any loss. 2.  then install windows7 on seperate partition (dont think that installation will be a problem ).

Thanks again Fella's. 

Monday, May 24, 2010 9:42 AM