none
Deploying captured image of reference computer - WDS & MDT RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, yesterday I set up MDT 2012 Update 1 on Windows 7 computer and WDS on Windows Server 2008 R2. I completed the following tasks:

• Create New Deployment Share
    • Import Operating System (Windows 7) into Deployment Share
    • Import network drivers for HP Compaq Pro 6300 Small Form Factor into Deployment Share
    • Create Sysprep and Capture Task Sequence for capturing image of reference computer
    • Update Deployment Share
    • Prepare reference computer for imaging - install OS, drivers, apps, patches . . .
    • Run Sysprep and Capture Task Sequence from reference computer
    • Import captured image of reference computer into Deployment Share
    • Create Standard Client Task Sequence for deploying captured image to bare-metal computer
    • Use Lite_Touch wim file as WDS boot image
    • Run PXE boot on bare-metal computer
    • Enter necessary information - computer name, domain name, time zone and so on

I took more than 2 hours to complete deployment of captured image to bare-metal computer. Everything worked well but after this process finished I noticed that computer name was not the one I entered in TS nor computer was joined to the domain. Time zone was not set. It seems that computer name, workgroup membership, time zone can not be altered in TS - they remain the same as they were on sysprepped computer.

Thursday, September 11, 2014 9:20 AM

Answers

• The bdd.log file does not contain any information once the full OS starts, it only contains those steps during WinPE.

MDT appears to be writing to the c:\minint\unattend.xml file correctly, can you verify.

Secondly, it's entirely possible that the image you are using was not syspreped correctly. Check the LTISysprep.log file and verify.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Thursday, September 18, 2014 4:13 PM
  • My doubts and yours Keith were right, sysprep was not performed well at all via Sysprep and Capture Task Sequence so I did sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown on reference machine and then booted it into WinPE with ImageX tool (if I am right in newest ADK dism is main tool for capturing online images instead of ImageX which is deprecated). I captured image of Windows 7 OS partition and copied it to MDT technician computer, imported it as operating system in MDT deployment share and selected it as .wim image to deploy to new bare metal machine via Standard Client Task Sequence. During deployment entered values for computer name, time zone were applied successfully and computer was joined to a domain. After restart message was shown with info that built in local administator account was disabled with switch user option where I could choose local account that existed on sysprepped machine or domain account.

Conclusion: Sysprep step in Sysprep and Capture TS in MDT does not work at all. I will try this on newest version of MDT (MDT 2013) since I am testing now on MDT 2012 Update 1 version. If sysprep does not work again MDT is useless for capturing images thus I have to use sysprep manually and then dism for capturing sysprepped image.

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

• Marked as answer by BoxiKG Saturday, September 20, 2014 11:40 AM
    • Edited by BoxiKG Saturday, September 20, 2014 12:07 PM
    Saturday, September 20, 2014 11:40 AM

All replies

• First, I would start by using MDT 2013. "New is always better". Download here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40796

Second I would suggest you take a look at the "Quick Start Guide for Lite Touch Installation" documentation you can download it here: http://download.microsoft.com/download/B/F/5/BF5DF779-ED74-4BEC-A07E-9EB25694C6BB/MDT%202013%20Documentation.zip

For instance the "Step 6-1"-Chapter will be interesting for you. If you didn't even get a new name, are you sure it got installed?

Tim Nilimaa | Blog: http://infoworks.tv | Twitter: @timnilimaa

Thursday, September 11, 2014 10:58 AM
  • Captured image was deployed successfully to bare-metal computer, os, apps, drivers, patches . . . but computer name, workgroup membership, time zone were not altered during deployment.
    Thursday, September 11, 2014 1:31 PM
  • I never like to capture a physical machine, capturing a bare VM is always preferable.

computer name, workgroup membership, time zone can all be altered during deployment; are you entering these during the wizard or doing an Lite touch installation?

Friday, September 12, 2014 9:48 AM
  • That is weird, can you copy the bdd.log file to a public site like OneDrive and share the link here?

Saturday, September 13, 2014 4:19 AM
  • Here is bdd.log file: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=670BDDFCE8F2477A!424&authkey=!ALiKEdHVTv4EBSE&ithint=file%2clog

Sorry for being late, I was too busy past three days.

At first look it seems that settings in unattend.xml file of captured image .wim file override settings entered in MDT wizard during deployment or captured image so everything stays the same - computer name, workgroup membership, timezone . . .
    • Edited by BoxiKG Thursday, September 18, 2014 1:12 PM
    Thursday, September 18, 2014 9:25 AM
  • The bdd.log file does not contain any information once the full OS starts, it only contains those steps during WinPE.

MDT appears to be writing to the c:\minint\unattend.xml file correctly, can you verify.

Secondly, it's entirely possible that the image you are using was not syspreped correctly. Check the LTISysprep.log file and verify.

Thursday, September 18, 2014 4:13 PM
  • You told me to put bdd.log to onedrive. Speaking of sysprep it should have been done automatically with Sysprep and Capture Task Sequence I run from reference machine although I read on some blogs that Sysprep step in Sysprep and Capture Task Sequence should be disabled since it could cause problems. If I remember they did manual sysprep with oobe, generalize and shutdown and then run Sysprep and Capture TS from WinPE but with sysprep step disabled. Honestly this should have been straightforward process - capturing reference image and deploying it to bare-metal machines along with setting up machine name, domain membership and so on so forth. I did this with SCCM 2k12R2 way back in March without any issues but unfortunately my company have chosen not to buy SC 2k12 R2 suite and my eval period expired last week so I now have "only" WDS on w2k12 r2 and MDT as deployment tools. 

• Edited by BoxiKG Thursday, September 18, 2014 11:14 PM
    Thursday, September 18, 2014 11:12 PM
  • There are plenty of things that can go wrong during sysprep, a review of the logs should reveal if sysprep was successful.

During deployment MDT places hooks within the unattend.xml file to direct Windows to continue LiteTouch after the OS has started. However, if the machine was not syspreped properly, for example, the machine won't process the unattend.xml file at all, and it would appear the Litetouch has halted.

If you are getting frustrated with the process, and you have support incidents with Microsoft Support, give them a call, MDT is fully supported by Microsoft CSS.

Friday, September 19, 2014 4:39 PM
  • My doubts and yours Keith were right, sysprep was not performed well at all via Sysprep and Capture Task Sequence so I did sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown on reference machine and then booted it into WinPE with ImageX tool (if I am right in newest ADK dism is main tool for capturing online images instead of ImageX which is deprecated). I captured image of Windows 7 OS partition and copied it to MDT technician computer, imported it as operating system in MDT deployment share and selected it as .wim image to deploy to new bare metal machine via Standard Client Task Sequence. During deployment entered values for computer name, time zone were applied successfully and computer was joined to a domain. After restart message was shown with info that built in local administator account was disabled with switch user option where I could choose local account that existed on sysprepped machine or domain account.

Conclusion: Sysprep step in Sysprep and Capture TS in MDT does not work at all. I will try this on newest version of MDT (MDT 2013) since I am testing now on MDT 2012 Update 1 version. If sysprep does not work again MDT is useless for capturing images thus I have to use sysprep manually and then dism for capturing sysprepped image.

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

• Marked as answer by BoxiKG Saturday, September 20, 2014 11:40 AM
    • Edited by BoxiKG Saturday, September 20, 2014 12:07 PM
    Saturday, September 20, 2014 11:40 AM