none
Patch Management Software for WEPOS RRS feed

• Question

• What are people using (other than WSUS) to patch WEPOS?  Has anyone gotten PatchLink to work?
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 8:30 PM

Answers

• What are people using (other than WSUS) to patch WEPOS?  Has anyone gotten PatchLink to work?

Hello zemog13,

There are several options for servicing POSReady runtimes. As you already mentioned, WSUS is a good option. In general, the offerings from Microsoft include System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM), Windows Software Update Services (WSUS) and Windows Update. POSready is identified by the Windows Update engine as Windows XP.

Take a look at the POSReady site for information on each of these options: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/products/readyproducts/posready/technical-specifications.mspx (Search for Service and Manageability).

System Center can deploy custom updates as well as Microsoft updates. WSUS can only deploy Microsoft updates. So if your scenario requires deploying OEM or 3rd party patches, System Center is the best choice.

I'm not aware of any OEM's who are currently using PatchLink on their devices. However, I have worked with OEM's who have created their own patching mechanism using standard transport mechanisms (BITS, etc..) and their own client for OEM / 3rd party updates and used WSUS for Microsoft updates.

Are you having a specific problem with PatchLink? If so, post the scenario here and I may be able to help out. Generally, POSReady is a very full featured image and *most applications will work right out of the box.

Hope that helps!
    Brad
    Brad Combs
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 3:27 PM