none
Outlook Client Issues following Exchange 2010 Rollup 8

Question

• Update Rollup 8 For Exchange 2010 SP3 (KB2986475) was applied to our Exchange server last night.

All appears to be fine, but users are having all kind of trouble using the Outlook Client to connect to their mailboxes.

Randomly they can't view certain folders (Inbox/Sent Items). Can no longer save to their Calendars. Errors relating to permissions and Outlook notifications?!?!?!?!

This is ONLY when using the Outlook Client - webmail works fine.

There are also no issues when running Outlook in safe mode.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

David
    Wednesday, December 10, 2014 12:15 PM

Answers

• The following has been posted onto the Exchange team site:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2014/12/09/exchange-releases-december-2014.aspx

Update 12/10/2014:

An issue has been identified in the Exchange Server 2010 SP3 Update Rollup 8. The update has been recalled and is no longer available on the download center pending a new RU8 release. Customers should not proceed with deployments of this update until the new RU8 version is made available. Customers who have already started deployment of RU8 should rollback this update. 

The issue impacts the ability of Outlook to connect to Exchange, thus we are taking the action to recall the RU8 to resolve this problem. We will deliver a revised RU8 package as soon as the issue can be isolated, corrected, and validated. We will publish further updates to this blog post regarding RU8. 

This issue only impacts the Exchange Server 2010 SP3 RU8 update, the other updates remain valid and customers can continue with deployment of these packages.

Cheers,

Rhoderick

Microsoft Senior Exchange PFE

Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/rmilne  Twitter:   LinkedIn:   Facebook:   XING:

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

• Proposed as answer by SD72 Wednesday, December 10, 2014 7:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by Andy DavidMVP, Moderator Wednesday, December 10, 2014 7:51 PM
    Wednesday, December 10, 2014 7:20 PM
  • Its quite common :)

Take a peek here for checking RU details:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/rmilne/archive/2013/10/29/how-to-check-exchange-2010-ru-version.aspx

Cheers,

Rhoderick

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Saturday, December 13, 2014 1:00 PM

All replies

• Hey,

I just joined these forums to post that I have the same problem!

I installed Rollup 8 for Exchange 2010 SP3 last night, tested everything, was working fine, even Outlook. Few hours later, I get an email from my Paris office that Outlook (2010 32bit) isn't working. I connect in, and sure enough my Outlook works, it is connected, but when viewing items I get a "Cannot open item" for everything!

OWA works fine, activsync works fine, blackberry works fine. Just Outlook 2010 doesn't open items.  I checked event log, didn't see anything, all stores were mounted and all services were running.  Panicking from not wanting to have an issue with 100+ people in the morning when I get in screaming that they can't get Outlook open, I uninstalled the Rollup (took about 20 minutes and it needs the extracted SP3 files locally or via a network store to successfully uninstall). It didn't reboot after it was finished uninstalling, it just stayed up and restarted the services on its own.

My Outlook works now and as does my other users so far.  I would hold off on installing this update until Microsoft resolves this issue.

I would rollback as I didn't see anything evident to troubleshoot in any logs, but it has something to do with the way Outlook connects in particular, because Activsync/OWA/Bberry were working fine for me. Issue is isolated to Outlook which is a huge component to have fail after a rollup!

• Proposed as answer by Dave Searles Wednesday, December 10, 2014 1:05 PM
    Wednesday, December 10, 2014 12:31 PM
  • Hello mate,

Thanks so much for the quick reply - you've described our issues to a tee!!

I'm now in the process of removing Rollup 8 (I'm glad you mentioned it took 20 minutes as it's currently dragging it's heels.. :)

I'm hoping it resolves the issues for us too, but it sounds like it's the exact same issue.

Like you say, bad form from Microsoft if they have indeed broke their main feature of Exchange...

Thanks again for the reply, I'll check back with an update.

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 12:48 PM
  • No problem mate,

Yeah uninstall that and you should be fine. It will hang at the end and the uninstall screen will disappear, no acknowledgment that the rollup was uninstalled, but it will restart all services automatically, so keep your eye on the task manager and the services console so you'll know when it comes back up.

Terrible Microsoft. Don't they even check to make sure that Outlook works?! According to twitter Outlook 2013 is affected as well.

Keep me posted on your uninstall.

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 12:51 PM
  • For Microsoft:

Upon log examination I am able to find 1 error message (is logged serveral times) in the Application Eventlog that only shows up AFTER the Rollup8 and was never seen prior to the update in my logs for the last 60 days:

Event ID 4999
    Level: Error
    Source: MSExchange Common

Watson report about to be sent for process id: 3276, with parameters: E12, c-RTL-AMD64, 14.03.0224.001, M.E.RpcClientAccess.Service, M.E.RpcClientAccess.Handler, M.E.R.H.ViewCache.IsRowWithinUnreadCache, System.IndexOutOfRangeException, 8e38, 14.03.0224.001.

ErrorReportingEnabled: False

I'm sure this probably has something to do with the issue. 

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 1:03 PM
  • Yep, I can confirm that we're back on - instant fix once the uninstall had completed...

I hate rollups to start with as they always bugger my pretty OWA customisations, but now I have a real hatered for them :)

Thanks again buddy!

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 1:07 PM
  • Excellent, glad to hear you made it back to the world of sanity (no matter how temporary it is) :)

Hopefully MS will acknowledge this issue and either pull it or fix it immediately before this gets rolled out all over the place.

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 1:12 PM
  • I am experiencing all of the same issues that have been reported here.  Glad to hear about uninstalling the rollup as a quick fix.  I have also noticed that if our users are having trouble opening an email item, if they switch to calendar or contacts and then back to mail, they are able to open the items...at least for a short time.
    Wednesday, December 10, 2014 3:13 PM
  • we have been struggling with the same issue today.

We seeing it's only Outlook 2010/2013 who are running on a windows Server that get the problem. aka Remote desktops.

A common Outlook error is 0x80004005-0x80004005-0x000501

I'm starting to uninstall the Exchange 2010 Rollup 8 update now

/jonas

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 3:28 PM
  • One of my customers installed the rollup 8 this day  in a two Server DAG Environment and had the same problems. It was not possible to create new calendar Events. Outlook 2010 was connected in online mode. After the users tried to save the calendar event Outlook gave an error message and was disconnected after that. They are currently in the process of uninstallation of the rollup 8. I will post the result later. Have to catch my plane ;-)

Joern

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 3:53 PM
  • Same issue here as in the OP.

Same workaround: uninstall KB2986475.

Client environment:

• Win7 SP1 Enterprise x64 - Office 2010 Pro SP2 x86
    • Win8.1 Pro - Office 2013

Not all workstations were affected, or perhaps not all users realized there were issues.

While KB2986475 was installed, Exchange server RPC CA logs contained large numbers of entries of the form:

2014-12-10T14:18:01.379Z,87,1859,/o=xxxx/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=xxxx,,OUTLOOK.EXE,14.0.7108.5000,Classic,,,ncacn_ip_tcp,,,fault,00:00:00,,Watson: [IndexOutOfRangeException] Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    2014-12-10T14:18:02.457Z,87,1861,/o=xxxx/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=xxxx,,OUTLOOK.EXE,14.0.7108.5000,Classic,,,ncacn_ip_tcp,,,fault,00:00:00,,Watson: [IndexOutOfRangeException] Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    2014-12-10T14:18:03.536Z,87,1863,/o=xxxx/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=xxxx,,OUTLOOK.EXE,14.0.7108.5000,Classic,,,ncacn_ip_tcp,,,fault,00:00:00,,Watson: [IndexOutOfRangeException] Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    2014-12-10T14:18:04.614Z,87,1865,/o=xxxx/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=xxxx,,OUTLOOK.EXE,14.0.7108.5000,Classic,,,ncacn_ip_tcp,,,fault,00:00:00,,Watson: [IndexOutOfRangeException] Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    2014-12-10T14:18:05.692Z,87,1867,/o=xxxx/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=xxxx,,OUTLOOK.EXE,14.0.7108.5000,Classic,,,ncacn_ip_tcp,,,fault,00:00:00,,Watson: [IndexOutOfRangeException] Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    2014-12-10T14:18:06.770Z,87,1869,/o=xxxx/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=xxxx,,OUTLOOK.EXE,14.0.7108.5000,Classic,,,ncacn_ip_tcp,,,fault,00:00:00,,Watson: [IndexOutOfRangeException] Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    2014-12-10T14:18:07.864Z,87,1871,/o=xxxx/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=xxxx,,OUTLOOK.EXE,14.0.7108.5000,Classic,,,ncacn_ip_tcp,,,fault,00:00:00,,Watson: [IndexOutOfRangeException] Index was outside the bounds of the array.

• Edited by TG99 Wednesday, December 10, 2014 5:44 PM
    Wednesday, December 10, 2014 5:40 PM
  • Same issue here.  Am uninstalling Rollup 8 now.
    Wednesday, December 10, 2014 7:08 PM
  • The following has been posted onto the Exchange team site:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2014/12/09/exchange-releases-december-2014.aspx

Update 12/10/2014:

An issue has been identified in the Exchange Server 2010 SP3 Update Rollup 8. The update has been recalled and is no longer available on the download center pending a new RU8 release. Customers should not proceed with deployments of this update until the new RU8 version is made available. Customers who have already started deployment of RU8 should rollback this update. 

The issue impacts the ability of Outlook to connect to Exchange, thus we are taking the action to recall the RU8 to resolve this problem. We will deliver a revised RU8 package as soon as the issue can be isolated, corrected, and validated. We will publish further updates to this blog post regarding RU8. 

This issue only impacts the Exchange Server 2010 SP3 RU8 update, the other updates remain valid and customers can continue with deployment of these packages.

Cheers,

Rhoderick

• Proposed as answer by SD72 Wednesday, December 10, 2014 7:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by Andy DavidMVP, Moderator Wednesday, December 10, 2014 7:51 PM
    Wednesday, December 10, 2014 7:20 PM
  • Is anyone else having an issue uninstalling the rollup? Im attempting to do so from the "Installed Updates" page inside add or remove programs and its giving me an error that it needs the original .MSI, which i don't have and can't download.

To expand, it is looking for the .MSI for rollup 7, but i can only locate the .MSP

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 9:10 PM
  • It asked me for 2010 SP3 directory, luckily I had this executable and extracted it to the local volume and it finshed from there.
    Thursday, December 11, 2014 12:03 AM
  • If Exchange 2010 Service Pack 3 isn't available on your system anymore (like in my case), it can be downloaded here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36768

Thursday, December 11, 2014 9:22 AM
  • I just discovered an even larger problem: the Rollup 7 file is actually the Rollup 8 file in disguise. There's no other link to an actual Rollup 7 file. Microsoft did take down the Rollup 8 page, but now it's the file you get when you try to download Rollup 7.

Not good.

Microsoft's page to download SP3 Rollup 7:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44023

This page downloads the file Exchange2010-KB2961522-x64-en.msp. When you run it, it identifies itself as Rollup 8 (KB2986475).

I've tried three times today, and the file is still the recalled Rollup 8 file disguised as Rollup 7, and there's no Rollup 7 file available anywhere.

As of 11-DEC-2014, 11:37AM Eastern US time, it's still the wrong file.

I sure hope someone at Microsoft recognizes this.

• Edited by J Park Thursday, December 11, 2014 4:37 PM
    Thursday, December 11, 2014 4:16 PM
  • Thanks J,

Looks like I am seeing the same thing.  I'll let the folks internally know, so they can check this out.

The machine I am running this on, already had SP3 RU8 installed.  It was not uninstalled prior to re-downloading today.

Edit - this is expected behaviour  installing an older RU over a newer one.  Make sure the newer RU was fully removed, server restated to ensure there are no pending operations. 

Echange 2010 Sp3 RU7 Downloading as RU8

Cheers,

Rhoderick

Thursday, December 11, 2014 4:33 PM
  • If Exchange 2010 Service Pack 3 isn't available on your system anymore (like in my case), it can be downloaded here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36768

This is what i needed, got me back up and running after i extracted the MSI from the .EXE
    Thursday, December 11, 2014 6:12 PM
  • Hi,

Also one server here didn't de-install. During de-install it got stuck on the fact that it could not find:

Actually those file are not there at all.

The only option is cancel. Then it ends with the following:

And I was really de-installing rollup 8 and not 7

Quite frustrating. Users complaining as they are now going to enter a second day with a milion Outlook restarts.

Please, please fix...

OK, the missing file can be fixed by extracting the SP3 in c:\users\xxxx\downloads. Strange because the other de-installs asked for the ExchangeServer.msi if I remember well.

Pfff. solved, happily back to RU7

• Edited by Thuizt Thursday, December 11, 2014 9:55 PM
    Thursday, December 11, 2014 9:29 PM

• I am having the same issue, downloading SP3 now, does anyone know all the files required from SP3 to uninstall Rollup 8?
    Friday, December 12, 2014 10:46 AM
  • Once your download for SP3 is complete, extract the files in a common area to where you can tell Exchange to find exchangeserver.msi when you roll-back to release 7 - like everyone has said, it takes about 15-20 minutes.

Based on how large your Exchange store may be, it's always wise to ensure you have a back-up ready should you need to repair more damage from RU8

Friday, December 12, 2014 12:49 PM
  • Hi all,

I got the same issue whit the uninstall of RU8.

I run the uninstall from the Add/remove console and I have NO prompt window asking where the needed file is. The uninstall begins and then crashes with the same window than "Thuizt" (sorry I can't add image file in my post yet):

"Setup Wizard for Update Rollup 7 for Exchange Server 2010 Service Pack 3 (KB2961522) ended prematurely."

Before you ask, I ran the RU8 uninstall and not the RU7... I don't know why I got this error message.

Could I run the uninstall of RU8 from a command-line with the exchangeserver.msi from the Exchange 2010 SP3?

• Proposed as answer by HMAR Friday, December 12, 2014 1:52 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by HMAR Friday, December 12, 2014 1:52 PM
    Friday, December 12, 2014 1:48 PM
  • The Rollback will want to look for SP3 (exchangeserver.msi) in the downloads folder, extract SP3 in the downloads folder and you should be set...
    Friday, December 12, 2014 1:54 PM
  • Thanks for this quick answer, I solve my problem, it was my own error...
    Friday, December 12, 2014 2:07 PM
  • As of this morning, 12-DEC-2014 at 9:46AM US Eastern time, Microsoft's E2010 SP3 Rollup 7 page (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=44023) STILL contains a download for Rollup 8, not 7.

While the file is named Exchange2010-KB2961522-x64-en.msp, it runs an install for KB2986475, NOT KB2961522.

Microsoft recalled Rollup 8 and removed the Rollup 8 download page, yet Rollup 8 will be installed if someone thinks they're installing Rollup 7.

I realize Microsoft is busy with other things, but when can we expect a legitimate download for Rollup 7 again?

• Edited by J Park Friday, December 12, 2014 2:59 PM
    Friday, December 12, 2014 2:50 PM
  • J,

i look at this with the team this morning.  On this server, can you please ensure that RU8 has been uninstalled from Add/Remove programmes and then server restarted.   Please retry at that point please.

Cheers,

Rhoderick

Friday, December 12, 2014 7:10 PM
  • Update:Microsoft has released version 2 of SP3 RU8 today. The link should be live soon.

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Friday, December 12, 2014 7:27 PM
  • I do not see the rollup 8 in  Add/Remove programs.  What do you do then?

But we went up to Roll up 8, I see the correct version #'s in the EMC and we are experiencing the same errors.

• Edited by DDKCoder Friday, December 12, 2014 9:40 PM
    Friday, December 12, 2014 9:38 PM
  • DDKCoder,

Look on the Exchange server under:

Programs and Features > View Installed Updates (on left) > Exchange Server 2010 - Software Updates

Friday, December 12, 2014 9:43 PM
  • Thanks, as I slap myself upside the head..
    Friday, December 12, 2014 9:56 PM
  • Its quite common :)

Take a peek here for checking RU details:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/rmilne/archive/2013/10/29/how-to-check-exchange-2010-ru-version.aspx

Cheers,

Rhoderick

Saturday, December 13, 2014 1:00 PM
  • So i didnt install the original rollup 8 but the 8v2. I am trying to get rollup 9 installed but i get there is an interm update installed. I try to roll back the 8v2 but get stuck in the loop that this is rollup 7. I do not get prompted for file location

Any suggestions on how to get around this??

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 11:17 PM