none
Audit Mode - Windows Update Error 0x80048103

Question

• Anyone else suddenly getting "Error 0x80048103" from Windows Update when it's being run in Audit Mode?

Works fine after sysprep and OOBE.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 3:17 PM

All replies

• Hi jason_chillyb,

The problem is that you cannot actually use Windows Update in Audit mode since WU is now locked out when the OS has not completed OOBE. Supposedly the reason for this is to avoid the machine rebooting for updates during the OOBE experience.

Please check the link below to get more information about Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2 won’t get updates in audit mode.

https://blog.brankovucinec.com/2014/10/29/windows-8-1-or-windows-server-2012-r2-wont-get-updates-in-audit-mode/

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 27, 2017 2:47 AM
  • Thanks Carl but this information isn't entirely accurate. We've been applying updates in Audit mode for years since that announcement. There are many ways to do so and it has minimal/no negative impact upon the OOBE process (if done correctly). I've tested it on well in excess of 10,000 systems :)

Thursday, April 27, 2017 7:36 AM
  • I am also running into this issue.

Been applying Windows Update in audit mode with Powershell since Windows 10 was released, and now with creators update its not working.

Really interested in a solution/work around.

Monday, May 1, 2017 7:45 PM
  • Workaround - updates only work first time you enter Audit mode

I found that it was because i was creating a reference image (which was still updating successfully), capturing and then testing systems using the captured image also inside audit mode - if you skip the reference image and apply those same adjustments live on the systems testing then updates work.

Monday, May 8, 2017 7:56 AM
  • Any update on this?  How was the workaround used before?  

Makes you wonder sometimes if anyone a Microsoft works in the real world.  The whole point of an image, is to be able to keep it up to date - patches and all.

I just started looking at creating one for Version 1703. 

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 4:26 PM
  • Ok.  As I was typing I seemed to remember that I was able to get updates to work once (before I bricked the OS - story for another day).

I remembered what I did.  We have WSUS up and running on our network, and push out the update settings via GPO.  I applied that Policy to my image machine and Updates are working.

Probably not the workaround you are looking for, but maybe give that a try.

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 4:33 PM
  • Interestingly, after my WSUS updates finished, I tried the link that would download further ones from MS Update.  Those continued to fail with the error code 0x80048103.

So WSUS good

Windows Update bad.

Now I need to figure out which updates WSUS does not have, that MS does.

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 4:42 PM
  • WSUS isn't an option for us. Over 90% of the images we deploy are "Home" versions.

Yes my workaround of only applying the updates to the image once works still. No issues in OOBE either using this technique (so far).

Thursday, June 8, 2017 7:39 AM