Office 365 management pack is not monitoring RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to setup monitoring of Office 365 within SCOM (2016).

I don't have any proxies to deal with, so it should just be a matter of ensuring that the MP is given the right credentials for Office 365 (ie:  global administrator account).  I did that, and the wizard passed everything (ie: it completed the entry of the info and authenticated) and all looked ok.  However, when I go to monitors, the icon is greyed out.  I've read over the manual front and back and can't find anything extra that I may need to set.  I've also gone over a few blogs that step-by-step the process to no avail.

You can see that the monitor shows that it is not enabled initially, but eventually this goes grey.

Any thoughts what would be preventing the monitoring?

Thursday, August 17, 2017 6:28 AM

Answers

• So oddly enough, things are working now.   

I went into portal.azure.com and deleted all associations in AzureAD to the management pack.  These were auto-generated by the pack.  I then removed all MPs from related to O365 monitoring and uninstalled from the server.  Performed a re-install, added the subscription, added the run-as account to the proxy user module (just in case) waited 1 hour and everything was working.  I can't really explain why it started to work now - I can't think of anything I did differently (other than add the proxy password from the start - but I still don't believe it is needed according to wording of the docs).  

Odd...  but it's working

Friday, August 18, 2017 4:14 AM

All replies

• Hi,

have you checked this part of the Install Guide:

Configure Run As profiles

The Management Pack creates two Run As Profiles:

• Office 365 Subscription Password secure reference
    • Office 365 Subscription Proxy secure reference

Office 365 Subscription Password secure reference Run As Profile is used to store Office 365 subscription credentials and should not be edited manually. See “Manage Office 365 subscriptions” section for more details.

Office 365 Subscription Proxy secure reference Run As Profile should be configured manually. This profile is used by all rules and monitors defined in this Management Pack. All Run As Accounts mapped to this profile should have the following permissions:

• be a member of “Operations Manager Operators” System Center Operations Manager user role;
    • be able to establish an HTTPS connection from the Management Server to Office 365 portal endpoint. Please check firewall and proxy settings within your environment to ensure that aforementioned connection is allowed.

particularly about the Subscription proxy secure reference account that needs to be  member of “Operations Manager Operators” System Center Operations Manager user role?
    What about firewalls on the way, could this be a topic?

Cheers,

Stoyan (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Thursday, August 17, 2017 12:06 PM
  • The way I understood the manual was that it i only necessary to configure "Office 365 Subscription Proxy secure reference" if you were running proxy, which I am not doing (at least according to the network guy).   Just in case though, I set the configured account for "Office 365 Subscription Password secure reference" also to "Office 365 Subscription Proxy secure reference" so they are both running the same account.  Still no go.

I should note that this account is not an administrator/user of the SCOM server.  I don't know if this makes a difference or not.

When I try to access "https://office365servicehealthcommunications.cloudapp.net/ ", I get "Access denied", which I understand to be ok - this confirms that there are no network restrictions.

Checking the event log, I am getting 1102 errors for each Rule/Monitor related to O365.  This leads me to believe that perhaps it is not loading credentials correctly?   I noticed in the Run-As credentials section for this, that it appears to be more of a UID rather than an actual username... is this correct or should it be using the UPN?

Friday, August 18, 2017 2:22 AM
  • So oddly enough, things are working now.   

I went into portal.azure.com and deleted all associations in AzureAD to the management pack.  These were auto-generated by the pack.  I then removed all MPs from related to O365 monitoring and uninstalled from the server.  Performed a re-install, added the subscription, added the run-as account to the proxy user module (just in case) waited 1 hour and everything was working.  I can't really explain why it started to work now - I can't think of anything I did differently (other than add the proxy password from the start - but I still don't believe it is needed according to wording of the docs).  

Odd...  but it's working

Friday, August 18, 2017 4:14 AM