none
MDT 2013 with UEFI enabled system. RRS feed

• Question

• Ive been trying to create a reference image for an optiplex 790 with uefi turned on, everytime i go start the process after the OS install portion i get errors in the task sequence:

Failure (5615) false: boot drive was not found, required?

it fails to run the action: install operating system.

is there something im missing in the task sequence to make this work. Ive read everywhere that if i have the task sequence set to GPT or even MBR that MDT will know if its a uefi bios and should work.  I am using a hard drive that used to have an MBR not sure if that is the reason.  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 4:52 PM

Answers

• The machine needs to boot using UEFI to deploy using UEFI.  How are you booting the system?

Why do you want to build a reference image using UEFI?  You can build the image on a non-UEFI system (typically I would suggest a VM) and then deploy it using UEFI.  But I only recommend deploying using UEFI for systems running UEFI 2.3.1 or above, i.e. Windows 8 logo-certified computers.  The 790 is likely a bit too old for that, probably running UEFI 2.2 which is a bit flaky.

Thanks,
    -Michael Niehaus
    Senior Product Marketing Manager, Windows Deployment
    http://blogs.technet.com/mniehaus
    mniehaus@microsoft.com

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 5:41 PM
  • So here's what you need to do through MDT.  When you configure the image, you want to only apply the W: drive where W is the Windows image or your C: directory for most imaging setups. Inside of the Format and Partition section of your task sequence, ensure you have the OSDisk setup here and that your Disk Type is set to GPT.  Your capture being MBR will not matter, MDT will configure it automatically.  

Do you have anything else besides the OSDisk configured in the partition section?  OSDisk and GPT and that should be it.  

You could also manually attempt to apply it, create a S: partition and a C: partition, apply the wim with such -

diskpart - clean, convert gpt, then create S: partition 350mb fat32, create C: partition with NTFS

Dism /apply-image /imagefile:N:\Images\install.wim /index:1 /ApplyDir:C:\

bcdboot /s S: /f UEFI

The second command will load the efi boot configuration over to the S: drive in this case and configure firmware as UEFI.  You should be able to manually apply this as such.

As for attempting it on a VM, unless you configure in the vmx that the system is a UEFI firmware, it will automatically boot and apply as MBR.  It's VMWares preference.  If you create a blank vm in say player or workstation, when it asks for OS select none at this time, it will create a completely blank VM for you.  Then path to the vm on your system and open the VMX file for it and add the line - firmware="efi" - and it will boot in EFI mode.  This is also a good way to test your bootpe and validate that it is indeed booting in UEFI mode.  Chances are if your boot PE image is NTFS, it won't boot, and most likely why it's triggering your device to log into legacy MBR mode.  

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 1:48 AM
  • Interesting ill do a little more research, the things is this optiplex 790 doesnt orginally come as a uefi bios and im guessing its a 2.2 efi bios.  The bios is already set to uefi and legacy is turned off.  Its like MDT cannot sense that its is uefi and just creates the mbr instead. But i will do some more research into pxe boot uefi. thx
    Wednesday, January 29, 2014 9:41 PM

All replies

• So far in my testing I have diskpart cleaned the drive that I am trying to image to and the system is still set to UEFI and the task sequence is set to GPT.  Yet it still created Mbr partitions on the drive and does not create the uefi partitions.  Not sure what else to do even though the system and task sequence are set for gpt and uefi. Thanks.
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 5:22 PM
  • The machine needs to boot using UEFI to deploy using UEFI.  How are you booting the system?

Why do you want to build a reference image using UEFI?  You can build the image on a non-UEFI system (typically I would suggest a VM) and then deploy it using UEFI.  But I only recommend deploying using UEFI for systems running UEFI 2.3.1 or above, i.e. Windows 8 logo-certified computers.  The 790 is likely a bit too old for that, probably running UEFI 2.2 which is a bit flaky.

Thanks,
    -Michael Niehaus
    mniehaus@microsoft.com

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 5:41 PM
  • My second attempt will most likely be a VM but our supporting system here is the 790.  We need to get uefi working mainly because of a management software (zenworks) we need uefi partitioning and OS to support their newest version.  Thanks for the information I will pass this along to my colleagues.
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 5:52 PM
  • So here's what you need to do through MDT.  When you configure the image, you want to only apply the W: drive where W is the Windows image or your C: directory for most imaging setups. Inside of the Format and Partition section of your task sequence, ensure you have the OSDisk setup here and that your Disk Type is set to GPT.  Your capture being MBR will not matter, MDT will configure it automatically.  

Do you have anything else besides the OSDisk configured in the partition section?  OSDisk and GPT and that should be it.  

You could also manually attempt to apply it, create a S: partition and a C: partition, apply the wim with such -

diskpart - clean, convert gpt, then create S: partition 350mb fat32, create C: partition with NTFS

Dism /apply-image /imagefile:N:\Images\install.wim /index:1 /ApplyDir:C:\

bcdboot /s S: /f UEFI

The second command will load the efi boot configuration over to the S: drive in this case and configure firmware as UEFI.  You should be able to manually apply this as such.

As for attempting it on a VM, unless you configure in the vmx that the system is a UEFI firmware, it will automatically boot and apply as MBR.  It's VMWares preference.  If you create a blank vm in say player or workstation, when it asks for OS select none at this time, it will create a completely blank VM for you.  Then path to the vm on your system and open the VMX file for it and add the line - firmware="efi" - and it will boot in EFI mode.  This is also a good way to test your bootpe and validate that it is indeed booting in UEFI mode.  Chances are if your boot PE image is NTFS, it won't boot, and most likely why it's triggering your device to log into legacy MBR mode.  

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 1:48 AM
  • I have the format and partition section set to GPT and OSDisk is present and the system still will not boot or create the necessary partitions. I will now most likely move onto a diskpart clean and convert process and see how that goes. Thanks for all the quick replies.
    Wednesday, January 29, 2014 9:23 PM
  • Did you check what your thumbdrive is formatted as?  My tablets will actually revert to a legacy system onboot and image as such.  If you format the boot iso as FAT32 it got me around this issue.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 9:28 PM
  • Did you check what your thumbdrive is formatted as?  My tablets will actually revert to a legacy system onboot and image as such.  If you format the boot iso as FAT32 it got me around this issue.

I am actually PXE booting over our network so i dont think that this will be an issue.  
    Wednesday, January 29, 2014 9:29 PM
  • Yep actually that's probably whats autobooting into legacy.  You can do a couple things here.  You can check if the bios has an option to turn off legacy booting, that will force the device to boot as UEFI, otherwise there is an option to remove bootmgr and that will force the device into EFI as well. 

I just went through the same issue and it drove me nuts.  If it's booting the device into legacy, it will image as legacy.  I will try to post some details on this, it's blocking me from posting links currently but if you research pxe boot uefi you'll see what I mean.  Good luck.

Ryan

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 9:39 PM
  • Interesting ill do a little more research, the things is this optiplex 790 doesnt orginally come as a uefi bios and im guessing its a 2.2 efi bios.  The bios is already set to uefi and legacy is turned off.  Its like MDT cannot sense that its is uefi and just creates the mbr instead. But i will do some more research into pxe boot uefi. thx
    Wednesday, January 29, 2014 9:41 PM
  • So with your recommendations I am able to get mdt to manually create the partitions through the task sequences, but i am not sure if i understand how to do the bcdboot /s S: /f UEFI part.  Any further information on how I can possibly add this into the task sequence?
    Wednesday, January 29, 2014 11:54 PM
  • Only UEFI 2.3.1 and above (Windows 8 logo-certified devices) support booting using UEFI. Older machines will always leverage legacy BIOS emulation to PXE boot. So if you want to deploy using UEFI on those machines, you need to boot from media, not PXE.

Thanks,
    -Michael Niehaus
    mniehaus@microsoft.com

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 11:56 PM
    This definitely was the issue no manual partitions was needed just that the uefi on the older 790 was going to legacy and needed to be booted from a uefi boot rather than the legacy. Thank you very much for the fix. Now onto my other testing. Thanks all
    Thursday, January 30, 2014 12:37 AM
  • How are you currently creating the partitions?  Technically MDT is supposed to run that command or a similar one to it when configured as UEFI but like you've seen, sometimes it doesn't.  That command can be run from the command prompt and as such can be either added as a batch file or command line option, whichever is easier for you.

Thursday, January 30, 2014 2:42 PM
  • How are you currently creating the partitions?  Technically MDT is supposed to run that command or a similar one to it when configured as UEFI but like you've seen, sometimes it doesn't.  That command can be run from the command prompt and as such can be either added as a batch file or command line option, whichever is easier for you.

The partitions doesnt need to be created it actually isnt necessary.  Like the others said a system that is UEFI 2.3.1 with a windows 8 OS will create it own partitions and work perfectly fine PXE booting and running a mdt task sequence.  You just need to make sure that you boot from the network from a UEFI boot option.  The same with a older system that has been upgraded to UEFI if it is older you will need to boot from media and not PXE as the older system doesnt show up with a network boot option under UEFI.  Running a boot media instead will show up under a UEFI boot option and MDT will do the rest in creating those partitons for me.  Just sit back and watch at that point.
    Thursday, January 30, 2014 5:18 PM
  • So is there no way to have my PXE server boot client computers that are UEFI and legacy? Ideally I'd like to have one PXE server that boots to MDT for all my deployments.

Can PXE only do one or the other?

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 7:03 PM
  • PXE can do both. I use the same Windows Server 2012 R2 PXE server for both UEFI and non-UEFI computers, x86 and x64.  Earlier versions of Windows Server will work too, with some limits on UEFI x86 support.

Thanks,
    -Michael Niehaus
    mniehaus@microsoft.com

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 7:43 PM
  • I'm just getting into UEFI. What would be the best practice and steps to get my PXE server UEFI and legacy capable?

FYI i am running Server 2012 R2.

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 8:09 PM
  • There really aren't any special requirements.  As long as you've imported Windows 8.1 or ADK 8.1 boot images and haven't done anything funky with DHCP boot options (e.g. specifying a boot program), it should just work.

Thanks,
    -Michael Niehaus
    mniehaus@microsoft.com

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 8:23 PM
  • Thank you for your quick response. 

When I try to use the UEFI PXE it thinks for a sec then skips to IPv6. It says something about the NBP file quickly then disappears. Any thoughts?

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 10:13 PM
  • Do I have to point directly to my x64 LiteTouch boot wim file?

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 10:20 PM
  • hi all,

I am trying to boot vmware workstation with UEFI usb. so i change firmware=efi. Tried to boot with LITETouchx86.iso, no luck. but when i tried with LITETouchx64.iso, booted efi just fine and it completed image. so do i need to boot with x64 with x64 image. used to be i can boot with X86 and image x64 or x86 image.

orion

Thursday, March 6, 2014 4:09 AM
  • If you have a new question, I recommend opening up a new thread, rather than hijacking an existing thread.

x86 uEFI is very rare, I am not aware of any specific problems booting an x86 image on a uEFI machine, the problem could be anything. IF you still have problems, you should open up a new thread, and provide more detail.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Thursday, March 6, 2014 5:44 PM
  • Only UEFI 2.3.1 and above (Windows 8 logo-certified devices) support booting using UEFI. Older machines will always leverage legacy BIOS emulation to PXE boot. So if you want to deploy using UEFI on those machines, you need to boot from media, not PXE.

Thanks,
    -Michael Niehaus
    mniehaus@microsoft.com

If only had this info a few months ago! I spent a week last year pulling my hair out, trying to get a new Dell notebook to UEFI PXE boot, but it would keep legacy booting and failing to find the boot drive in MDT.

Turned out that particular model had both legacy and UEFI PXE boot modes, with legacy on by default. We ended up going with a Lenovo machine as our new SOE, and it worked out of the box.

Friday, March 7, 2014 5:10 AM
  • at the very end of following link, it has been mentioned there is no need to make any changes to the TS and the default settings in TS will work for a system with UEFI.https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn744279.aspx

I know it is confusing which statement is correct, the one  Michael has mentioned above or what has come in the link.

Friday, January 30, 2015 2:45 AM
  • Hi Michael,

I have a question related to this UEFI issue.  Here you seem to ask a rhetorical question about the need to create the reference image using UEFI, as if it is not necessary or best practice.  However, in the MVA Deployment JumpStart (which I have watched about 5 times) they always use a Hyper - V generation 2 VM, which, if I understand correctly, is by default a UEFI Virtual Machine.

Anyway, If I run MDT deployment in VMware Player or a Generation 1 Hyper V vm, it works.  But when I use a Gen 2 Hyper V VM it installs the OS and then the reboot freezes and the Lite Touch can't continue.  If I go into safe mode I can see that it gets stuck at system32\drivers\disk.sys

Any Idea?

-Kyle

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 5:41 PM
  • Hi Michael,

I have a question related to this UEFI issue.  Here you seem to ask a rhetorical question about the need to create the reference image using UEFI, as if it is not necessary or best practice.  However, in the MVA Deployment JumpStart (which I have watched about 5 times) they always use a Hyper - V generation 2 VM, which, if I understand correctly, is by default a UEFI Virtual Machine.

Anyway, If I run MDT deployment in VMware Player or a Generation 1 Hyper V vm, it works.  But when I use a Gen 2 Hyper V VM it installs the OS and then the reboot freezes and the Lite Touch can't continue.  If I go into safe mode I can see that it gets stuck at system32\drivers\disk.sys

Any Idea?

-Kyle

It appears that my issue is because I am deploying Windows 7 not Windows 8.1  Apparently, Generation 2 VMs do not like Windows 7.
    Wednesday, March 4, 2015 6:45 PM
  • Gen2 VMs only support the following Windows operating systems:
    Windows Server 2012 R2
    Windows Server 2012
    64-bit versions of Windows 8.1
    64-bit versions of Windows 8

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn282285.aspx

Monday, April 6, 2015 7:37 PM
  • If you have a new question, I recommend opening up a new thread, rather than hijacking an existing thread.

x86 uEFI is very rare, I am not aware of any specific problems booting an x86 image on a uEFI machine, the problem could be anything. IF you still have problems, you should open up a new thread, and provide more detail.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Keith: For x86 systems I'm still using your USBBootTool.hta I found years ago.  I don't know what "version" it is.  Do you have a current one, or an updated process?

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Thursday, December 17, 2015 12:18 AM
  • Hello Kyle, 

I have a similar UEFI issue. So far my deployments are working fine for HP ZBooks but I am having difficulties with the Z-series machines. I have a HP Z420 that the Lite Touch cannot continue past *disk.sys. I changed it from RAID+AHCI to IDE and now it freezes at classpnp.sys. I have seen classpnp.sys errors before and resolved it by checking the PCI* components. Troubleshooting the classpnp.sys error was a problem by itself meaning it was not part of my MDT deployment. For my Z420 MDT/UEFI deployment is where the error occurs now. Were you able to resolve the issue on hardware as well as the generation 2 VM environment? 

PXE, MDT 2013 update 2, Win12r2, UEFI is enabled on the machine. Windows 7/64

Shawn

• Edited by TekniShawn Saturday, October 15, 2016 4:48 PM Added PXE
    Saturday, October 15, 2016 4:46 PM
  • I would check if you have the correct drivers in the PXE boot environment for that particular device. If it is missing then it will have issues correctly booting or seeing the drive that is in the Z420 machine.  Could be the possible cause of your system freezing during the disk.sys procedure.
    Monday, October 17, 2016 4:14 PM
  • Hello Kyle, 

I have a similar UEFI issue. So far my deployments are working fine for HP ZBooks but I am having difficulties with the Z-series machines. I have a HP Z420 that the Lite Touch cannot continue past *disk.sys. I changed it from RAID+AHCI to IDE and now it freezes at classpnp.sys. I have seen classpnp.sys errors before and resolved it by checking the PCI* components. Troubleshooting the classpnp.sys error was a problem by itself meaning it was not part of my MDT deployment. For my Z420 MDT/UEFI deployment is where the error occurs now. Were you able to resolve the issue on hardware as well as the generation 2 VM environment? 

PXE, MDT 2013 update 2, Win12r2, UEFI is enabled on the machine. Windows 7/64

Shawn

Do these machines have NVMe SSD's by chance?  If so, you'll need to include that driver in your WIM before it will deploy to Windows 7 correctly.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1a93a184-83b9-4368-9443-c97eb5758867/deploying-7-sp1-x64-to-nvme-drives-resulting-in-bsod-0x7b?forum=mdt

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• Edited by Matt5150 Monday, October 17, 2016 5:01 PM Hyperlink
    Monday, October 17, 2016 5:01 PM
  • PXE can do both. I use the same Windows Server 2012 R2 PXE server for both UEFI and non-UEFI computers, x86 and x64.  Earlier versions of Windows Server will work too, with some limits on UEFI x86 support.

Thanks,
    -Michael Niehaus
    mniehaus@microsoft.com

Hello Michael,

I realize your reply is three years old, but I am wondering how you are accomplishing this.  I have the most recent Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (version 8443) and Windows ADK for Windows 10, version 1703 installed on a Server 2016 system.

I PXE boot a Dell Optiplex 3010 in Legacy BIOS mode, and I get an error of "PXE-E76: Bad or missing multicast discovery address"

If I take that same system, set BIOS to UEFI, Secure Boot, it PXE boots successfully.

While I can take all systems that support UEFI and set the BIOS accordingly, I do have older systems at my schools that will need to Boot without UEFI.

Please let me know how you are able to boot both UEFI and Legacy BIOS systems from one Server.

I am deploying Windows 10x64, and Windows 7x64

thank you,

Stephen

Tuesday, August 1, 2017 4:31 AM
  • Hi Michael,
                 I realize this is almost a five year old post now but running 2016 MDT (8450) w/ADK v1809, I had this same issue booting to UEFI Secure on an OptiPlex 7060 or Latitude 5590.  I used the default settings for BIOS and UEFI. I tried over and over, searching Google and asking other MDT gurus as they said they didn't have any issues imaging UEFI devices with the default options.

I had to disable the BIOS & UEFI Format & Partition Options and do this instead...

Now this works, but I suspect it's sloppy as all get out and DiskPart shows five formatted areas of the main disk.  I also made sure that the vendor classes were added in DHCP for the affected subnets.  Any thoughts on an even cleaner way to do this?    Thanks in advance.  Merce.

Friday, January 11, 2019 10:13 PM
  • I had a similar situation. In my case, turns out my problem was in UEFI/BIOS settings.

The disk format task that runs (BIOS vs UEFI) depends on the isUEFI property set during Gather. Look at the bdd.log file and search for isUEFI. If it doesn't show isUEFI = TRUE that's your problem

Saturday, January 19, 2019 11:40 PM
  • Configure/ Build your reference image in a VM - this way everything is neutral when deploying the OS. Also, no need to edit the task sequence...use the Rufus tool to configure your boot sticks - NTFS for Legacy boot, FAT32 for UEFI.
    Monday, January 21, 2019 6:27 PM