Blank profile on each logon - not in domain RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

Yesterday I logged in to my Vista Premium user account (admin rights) and to my surprise, I saw the "Preparing Desktop" message. And when the desktop appeared almost all my icons where gone.
    I realized that ALL my settings in ALL my programs where reset to deafaults.

I have found out that the "ntuser.dat" file for my user account is gone - Bugger. I'm in the progress of exploring the possibilities of recovering it.

But the weird part is that each time I log in, the profile have been reset again, NO settings saved whatsoever!

I then tried to create a new user profile, with no luck. Each time I login, i get a fresh desktop and welcome screen as if I have newer used the computer.

In my main profile directory, lets call it "TJ", there is 2.1GB worth of files. But in the user account settings, it shows the size as 2.2MB and the profile as being temporary.

Is there anything I can do to save it?
    Wednesday, February 20, 2008 2:54 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

The issue may due to corrupt user profiles. I would like to suggest that you to create a new account and copy your old profile to the new one. Below is a thread discussing about how to do this, for your reference:

Modifying the default profile in Vista
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1710717&SiteID=17

Also, you may to turn off UAC as a test. Here is the steps:

1. Open User Accounts. To do this, click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then click msconfig.exe in the Programs list.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the

password, or click Continue. 

2. On the Tools tab, click Disable UAC, and then click Launch. 
    3. Close the Command Prompt window, and then restart the computer.

Hope it helps.
    -----------------------------
    Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, February 25, 2008 9:59 AM

All replies

• I have managed to recover multiple versions of "ntuser.dat" 3MB large.

I have tried to place the most recent in th %systemroot%\users\"TJ" folder, with no luck.

I still get a reset user account, no matter which account I log into. I have even tried the built in (hidden) administrator account.

Do you think I will be able save the system?

BTW: I have already tried a system restore. there was a point from about 3-4 days earlier. But after the restore, I'm still getting a new/blank/reset user account on each login.

Also I have my documents folder in another location, so no REAL data have been lost, only settings in windows and all of my programs.
    Wednesday, February 20, 2008 4:04 PM
  • Hi ,

The issue may due to corrupt user profiles. I would like to suggest that you to create a new account and copy your old profile to the new one. Below is a thread discussing about how to do this, for your reference:

Modifying the default profile in Vista
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1710717&SiteID=17

Also, you may to turn off UAC as a test. Here is the steps:

1. Open User Accounts. To do this, click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then click msconfig.exe in the Programs list.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the

password, or click Continue. 

2. On the Tools tab, click Disable UAC, and then click Launch. 
    3. Close the Command Prompt window, and then restart the computer.

Hope it helps.
    Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang

Monday, February 25, 2008 9:59 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as 'Answered' as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we'd love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!
    Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang

Thursday, February 28, 2008 10:21 AM