Receiving NDRs for valid email addresses. RRS feed

• Question

• This is happening when certain applications send out notifications or when I used powershell and send-mailmessage. I can send from the Outlook client to these addresses and from my gmail account.  We get the message below  (I've changed the email address in the text below). Its only happening to a handful of accounts (a couple of distribution groups and 1 user mailbox). Everything was working fine until a week ago. 

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

test@domain.com The e-mail address you entered couldn't be found. Please check the recipient's e-mail address and try to resend the message. If the problem continues, please contact your helpdesk.

Diagnostic information for administrators:

test@domain.com #550 5.1.1 RESOLVER.ADR.RecipNotFound; not found ##

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 7:48 PM

All replies

• Hi Lindsey,

Would you mind to share the detailed steps that you send this email?

I notice that you mention the issue only happens when certain application send out notification via Outlook client or using PowerShell for email sending. How did you send email in third-party application? Have you filled in the recipient email address manually?

In Outlook client, please create a new email, type recipient name, remove the cached suggested recipient (Autocomplete), directly type email address of distribution group, send out the email. Confirm if the issue can be reproduced.

If there is any recipient cache in the third-party application, clear them to have a try.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 9:56 AM
  • The issue does not happen with the Outlook client.  I can send an email to this group or mailbox and it will go through. Sending a message using send-mailmessage in Powershell to the exact group or mailbox gives me the NDR. The application are using SMTP also to send messages out. They are not being delivered to certain groups, and are to others. 
    Wednesday, November 29, 2017 4:35 PM
  • Wednesday, November 29, 2017 5:03 PM
  • Thanks! I will look into that. But I don't think that is the issue...I can send to these groups and mailboxes from my gmail account. 
    Wednesday, November 29, 2017 5:16 PM
  • i checked and the box was already unchecked. 
    Wednesday, November 29, 2017 5:26 PM
  • what is your exchange platform (version, 365, etc)?

Steve W. MCSA,CCNA,MCP,A+,SEC+,CIW

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 6:49 PM
  • Exchange 2010 and Office 365
    Thursday, November 30, 2017 2:46 PM