Upgrading a staged installation of Vista Home Premium to a non staged (MSDN) version of Vista Ultimate (both 32 bit) RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

my new HP laptop has Vista Home Premium (staged version) on it and I want to upgrade to Vista Ultimate (via my MSDN non staged version).

The upgrade option is disabled when I try.

Any ideas how I can do this?

I know an upgrade route exists between these 2 versions.

Thanks

Paul

Sunday, March 16, 2008 1:34 PM

Answers

• You must start the upgrade process when booted to the existing Vista Home Premium desktop.  Then insert the Vista DVD and begin the upgrade.  It appears you probably booted directly from the Vista DVD.

Sunday, March 16, 2008 7:21 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Please also check the following points:

1.    Do not upgrade from Windows Vista Home Premium of a different locale (language).

2.    Do not launch setup from Safe Mode in Windows Vista Home Premium.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 3:01 AM

All replies

• You must start the upgrade process when booted to the existing Vista Home Premium desktop.  Then insert the Vista DVD and begin the upgrade.  It appears you probably booted directly from the Vista DVD.

Sunday, March 16, 2008 7:21 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Please also check the following points:

1.    Do not upgrade from Windows Vista Home Premium of a different locale (language).

2.    Do not launch setup from Safe Mode in Windows Vista Home Premium.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 3:01 AM
  • I followed all of these steps and still get the upgrade option disabled. Computer is a new dell inspiron 1525, any ideas?

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 5:50 PM
  • i have been going through the same problem. at first when i booted the x86 build it told me i need to install the service pack and free up some memory. when i did all that and retried the installation i got the cannot upgrade from a staged to unstaged error. did you ever solve it or can anyone help? thanks 

Saturday, April 12, 2008 5:47 PM
  • Sorry, I haven't been able to solve it. Maybe someone else??

Sunday, April 13, 2008 1:08 AM
  • thanks anyway. it tried it a number of ways but to no avail i was told by some reps that the 64 bit with service pack one was the one that worked with 32 bit but that failed and was told to do the x86 which loaded from home premium and told me to get the service pack and free some space. after i did that upgrade wa disabled. looks like the only solution would be to clean install. good luck

Sunday, April 13, 2008 2:44 AM

• I'm having the same problem.  I'm trying to upgrade from Home Premium to Ultimate and get an "Upgrade diabled" msg.  Frustrating doesn't begin to describe it.  I've already spent several hours on this problem. 
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 9:05 PM
  • i think i have finally given up and will have to back everything onto a hard drive and clean install.if you get it please post. off topic i am trying to get an itouch to sync with itunes on vista business but it is coming up as a camera. so i got my hands full already.plz keep updating your progress.

Thursday, April 17, 2008 4:08 AM
  • I am having a similar problem.  Anyone who happens on this thread, check out what numpdog (sic) had to say in this thread,

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3122954&SiteID=17&pageid=0

Am trying it probably tomorrow, not sure it will work, but otherwise it's a clean install and 2 days of re-configuration.

Mike
    Saturday, May 31, 2008 1:47 AM
  • Working on it, too.

Pretty sure it can't be done with the downloaded installer.

See thread

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3427518&SiteID=17&mode=1

Tony Midmore
    Sunday, June 1, 2008 8:55 PM