none
Recover failed DPM 2016 UR2 server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

Maybe the community can help me solve a problem I'm facing.

Situation is as follows, 2 DPM 2016 UR 2 servers protecting each other. (all volumes, all SQL instances, bare metal and system state) SQL databases are located on the DPM servers, on the D drive. (ALL software is installed on D) Windows is installed on C.
    DPM software is installed on D, in the folder Software\DPM

Now I need to recover my DPM server, so I start bare metal recovery, selected system protection, restored to a shared folder, booted my Failed DPMserver with Windows recovery. So far so good, C drive is restored, but the D drive isn´t in the bare metal protection, so it can't be restored.

Tried to install the DPM agent, so I can restore the D drive but the installer says, DPM agent cannot be installed on a server which is running DPM server.
    But there is no DPM software (it should be on D, but D is empty)

How can I overcome this issue. The MS documentation say you can install DPM server on different locations (not required to install on C) So I need to be able to choose D drive also when restoring the system protection.

Please help me vinding a solution.

Best regards,

Herwin

Thursday, June 29, 2017 7:06 AM

Answers

• housekeeping - closing old post.

Windows BMR backup will only contain volumes that are considered critical - apparently D: volume was not although with SQL Server installed on it I would have guessed that the D: Volume should have been included.

FYI for future reference - you can check to see what volumes are included in BMR backup by running the below from an administrative command prompt.

1) Set up a network share on a remote machine \\server\bmrshare

2) From an administrative command prompt on the PS, type:

wbadmin.exe start backup -allcritical -backuptarget:\\server\bmrshare

This should show you the list of volumes included in the BMR backup and ask "Do you want to start the backup operation?. - Type N to exit..

Anyways - to make repairs you would need to go into add/remove programs and un-install SQL and DPM - then re-install them.

Regards
    Mike Jacquet

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, January 3, 2020 10:19 PM