Chkdsk frooze? RRS feed

• Question

• i started having the same memory error message as the user here posted... http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itprovistahardware/thread/fbb730c7-f771-478b-916c-bdfa45aa8475

running the chkdsk scan now and it seems to be stuck at 26402986 of 43404094 free clusters processed.  i'd say about ten minutes its stayed like this.

is this normal and i should just wait?

Monday, February 7, 2011 8:06 PM

Answers

• The link you provided did not work so I do not know what memory errors you have. Chkdsk can appear stalled for many reasons such as it is fixing a bad sector or reading lots of empty space amoung others and might be normal. However if it stops and you have to turn off your computer it could be a hard drive problem. If your computer came with a diagnostic utility use it to check your hard drive.
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 9:50 PM
  • what chkdsk switch did you run with.its preferable to try chkdsk /r
    Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 11:28 PM

All replies

• The link you provided did not work so I do not know what memory errors you have. Chkdsk can appear stalled for many reasons such as it is fixing a bad sector or reading lots of empty space amoung others and might be normal. However if it stops and you have to turn off your computer it could be a hard drive problem. If your computer came with a diagnostic utility use it to check your hard drive.
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 9:50 PM
  • what chkdsk switch did you run with.its preferable to try chkdsk /r
    Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 11:28 PM