Intermittent Outlook 2016 crashes - RICHED20.DLL RRS feed

• Question

• Good Morning!

I have been having an issue for approximately 6 - 8 weeks now.  Outlook 2016 (connected to Exchange) will sporadically crash. A dialog is displayed on screen suggesting "Outlook has stopped working and will now restart".

Upon viewing the logs in event viewer, every crash points to a faulting module of RICHED20.DLL.

Things I have changed/tested:

Disabled Add-ins - no change.

Outlook safe mode - no change.

Rebuilt Outlook profile - no change.

Created new user in active directory - no change.

Outlook repair - Quick Fix & Full online repair - no change.

New PC installation - no change.

Windows 7 - fresh install - no change.

Windows 10 - fresh install - no change.

We have 30 other staff members with exactly the same setup, but this is only occurring for a single user.
    All users have dual monitors.

I have followed numerous forums/guides on how to fix "RICHED20.DLL" issues, however none of them have touched this error.

Anyone with any insight or further things to look at or change would be greatly appreciated - I'm almost willing to try anything now.

Thanks and Regards

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 9:10 AM

Answers

• Hi Glen,

Have you tried performing a clean boot in Windows?

Besides, you can also try clear the registry value of Outlook.

1. Close your Outlook client.
    2. Press Win + R to open Run, type "regedit" and press Enter.
    3. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\X.0\Outlook
    4. Rename the "Outlook" folder to "Outlook-1"
    5. Restart your Outlook and see if there is any difference.

(Important: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur. )

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 9:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What's the version of your Outlook? (File > Office Account > About Outlook) Please make sure you have upgrade your Outlook to the latest version.

>> Outlook 2016 (connected to Exchange) will sporadically crash.

What specific operations did you do when the problem occurred?

In this situation, it is suggested to temporarily turn off your antivirus software then rename Riched20.dll to recreate it and remove and reinstall you Office.

1. Temporarily turn off your antivirus software.
    2. Go to “%windir%\system32\” and check whether this file exist: riched20.dll.
    3. Rename the extension “.dll” to “.old”.
    4. Uninstall your Office installation and reinstall Office.

If the issue persists, please try starting the computer in clean boot mode and see if there is any difference.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 7:29 AM
  • Hi Aidan,

Thanks for the suggestions. Isolating to a specific operation is proving quite difficult as the crash seems to occur at different times.  This could be simply highlighting and/or copying text from an email, copying or saving attachments from emails, categorising or completing tasks (using tasks layout).

Outlook version is currently 16.0.12130.20232 (32-bit).

The computer/user in question is currently running with no antivirus software installed.
    riched20.dll does indeed exist within "%windir%\system32\".

As an aside, in noticing that the outlook installation is currently 32-bit, we have opted to try and install the 64-bit version to see if this makes any difference. Windows installations are already 64-bit so seems like a logical step to take - I will update you on our findings in due course.

We have already uninstalled Office and reinstalled - however will give it a go with renaming the riched20.dll first and then installing Office, again will let you know how things progress with this.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
    Regards

Glen

• Edited by millsy54 Thursday, November 7, 2019 10:28 AM
    Wednesday, November 6, 2019 11:44 AM
  • Hi millsy54,

If the problem persists even after those planned actions are taken, you can try replacing this "riched20.dll" file with one which you'll copy from a stable computer that is identical to the problematic one in terms of OS, edition and version.

Giving a try to System File Checker tool might also be helpful. For that, simply run these commands in an elevated command prompt:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
    sfc /scannow

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

Regards,
    Burak V.

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 1:13 PM
  • Thanks Burak for your suggestion.

I have now tried an installation of Office 2016 64-bit and unfortunately this is still producing the same crash.

I renamed the "riched20.dll" and "riched32.dll" within the system32 directory and have run the system file checker - as expected this found corrupted files and replaced the 2 aforementioned dll's.
    It's normally within an hour or so that we have any kind of response from the user to inform us that Outlook is still crashing, so I will update in due course.

Thanks and Regards
    Glen

Thursday, November 7, 2019 10:36 AM
  • Outlook is indeed still crashing. It took approximately 4 hours this time for it to produce a crash. But again checking the event viewer it is suggesting exactly the same error.

This was a clean install of Office 2016 64-bit and renaming the 2 dll files and having them re-populated via SFC.

Any further suggestions very much welcome.

Thanks as always
    Glen

Thursday, November 7, 2019 2:49 PM
  • Just as a quick follow up, I have now tried running both Outlook /cleanviews and Outlook /cleanreminders - in case its one of these that could contain some form of corruption which is causing the fault.  I would assume a clean installation wouldn't contain any faults within reminders or views however just to cover every base I've taken this step.

Still welcome further suggestions and as always I appreciate those that have contributed with their thoughts.

Regards
    Glen

Friday, November 8, 2019 10:38 AM
  • Hi Glen,

Have you tried performing a clean boot in Windows?

Besides, you can also try clear the registry value of Outlook.

(Important: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur. )

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 9:40 AM
  • Hi,

Have you got the issue fixed?

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Thursday, November 14, 2019 9:05 AM
  • Hi,

Here I will provide a brief summary of this post for your information. This will make answer searching in the forum easier!

Request/Expectation:

Intermittent Outlook 2016 crashes - RICHED20.DLL

Solution Summary:

Performing a clean boot in Windows

Try clear the registry value of Outlook.

Reference Links:

No.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 9:34 AM
  • Hi Aidan,

Sorry for the lack of response.  The user in which this error was occurring has been out of the office for a few days, therefore I was unable to question if the issues are still happening.

The renaming of the registry key seems to have improved matters, to the point we are now only experiencing maybe 1 or 2 crashes per day, sometimes not a single crash - this is a significant improvement on the original 8-10 crashes per day.

I have marked the response as the answer, as suggested above this has improved matters no end!

We will continue to monitor the situation and will of course come back and inform you of any changes should they occur.

Thanks for your continued support and efforts in resolving this issue.

Regards
    Glen

Thursday, November 21, 2019 8:20 AM
  • Hi Glen,

You're welcome:)

If there is any update, please feel free to post here.

I will continue to research this issue. 

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Thursday, November 21, 2019 8:35 AM